to feel positively evangelical about electronic cigarettes?

(984 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 27-Sep-13 15:07:18

I was reading the AIBU thread about the husband vaping in the house with a newborn. I was struck by the passionate testimonials from former smokers, saying they couldn't have done it without e-cigs. I had tried a puff one of those things that look like a cigarette and was underwhelmed. But I didn't know about the more advanced set ups where you can fill them up with your flavour of choice. Anyway, I was intrigued. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years, and never quit more than a few months at a time, no matter which methods I tried.

nb84 encouraged me to give it a try and told me what to buy to get started.

I ordered a starter kit that night. It arrived the next day and I fell in love. I have three of them, now (one always charging, one near to hand, and one in my purse ready to go) and eight different flavours of the juice.

I don't want to smoke cigarettes any more. I like this better. It tastes really good. It feels good. And it doesn't stink. My hands, clothing, and breath don't reek anymore. I don't have to keep going outside. I don't have to feel like a smelly pariah. My husband can't smell it even when I'm sitting right next to him.

And I don't have to try and not think about the fact that my mother died of cancer after spending her last decade debilitated by emphysema.

And instead of paying £8 a day for fags, I can buy a week's worth of juice for £10. The hardware was less than £20 to get started and will require only £10 a month going forward. Of course, I can spend more. Many people geek out on it as a hobby because the gadgets are fun and constantly improving.

I'm not worried about putting on weight like people usually do when giving up the cancer sticks. In fact, I snack less. I no longer crave sweets. I would normally nibble all day, especially Haribo sweets. I don't want them anymore because I am tasting a bunch of sweet flavours all day long.

I'm so happy that I want to tell everyone - every smoker and everyone who loves a smoker - about it. grin

Cantabile Tue 15-Oct-13 18:58:01

I think I'd like to try apple flavour. Any recommendations?

(if I didn't say thank you to you all, um, thank you! wink)

stillenacht Tue 15-Oct-13 19:14:16

Thats fabulous Cantabile well done!!!smilesmilesmile

stillenacht Tue 15-Oct-13 19:15:33

http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/category.asp?categoryid=17

Lovely apple caramel pie smile

flowers grin flowers grin flowers grin flowers

Fantastic Cantabile! Well done!

flowers grin flowers grin flowers grin flowers

I'm curious about flavours. My brother was investigating making his own but didn't get far. Is anyone making their own? (I don't mean mixing pre-made, btw.)

I was curious about this too. I found this which is interesting. Apparently it works quite well with teas. I also read something about someone making a coffee flavour using a similar method but I lost the link.

thingymibob massive well done to you too grin

magimedi, how much have you saved over the year? Are you going to treat yourself to something fantastic?

magimedi Tue 15-Oct-13 19:43:32

I haven't saved as much as you would think! I live not that far from Dover & use to do a day trip to France & hot foot it to Belgium (about 20 miles) & buy my golden vag for about £5 for 50g.

I have a bottle of fizzy stuff cooling in the fridge for Saturday. I intend to drink it, vape & eat smoked salmon for my dinner!!!

Had I bought GV at UK prices I would have saved about £750!!!!!!!!

Cantabile - Well done you!! Am sure you'll be a 100% vaper in a week or two.

DollyTwat Wed 16-Oct-13 18:12:44

grin @ 'golden vag'
My mars bar e-liquid came today and it's lush. Really like it. Unfortunately my egg custard one had been pit in the package with no top on so leaked everywhere. Smelt divine!
So I'm hoping they'll send me a replacement

I've had proper cravings today for the first time - day 14. I haven't given in though smile

I dug out the RY6 which was far too hefty for me the other day and mixed it 50/50 with RY4 - just about enough throat hit to satisfy. Think I'm OK now.

I quite fancy egg custard flavour, where did you get it from?

MaggieMcGill Wed 16-Oct-13 21:13:13

Day 14 here too. Had a blip on Satarday but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I realised on Satarday at the pub that I actually missed the whole going outside thing and chatting to all the other smokers. Probably best to avoid the pub for a while shock

... or maybe go out there with the smokers and vape - see how many you can convert wink

We went to our local on Sunday afternoon and were pleased to learn the LL is happy for us to vape indoors. He was a bit rude about it though, he said, 'If you want to sit there sucking on your steamy biros that's fine by me.' I especially enjoyed having a game of pool and blowing Big Clouds Of Vapour under the lights. It looked proper grin

DollyTwat Wed 16-Oct-13 22:03:07

Plenty I got it from The Alchemists Cupboard, he posted up thread. It smells lovely, have yet to try!
I have to say the Mars bar one has kept me off the real fags all evening

MaggieMcGill Thu 17-Oct-13 08:31:22

Steamy biros grin

Cantabile Thu 17-Oct-13 19:29:32

Steamy biros grin ditto!

I saw a steamy biro once. It was in the 'Drug Taking Room' at a party in the 70s. I had wandered in because some guy told me not to, and a couple of guys were sitting on the floor taking turns to suck on a biro. I asked what they were doing and they said "smoking opium". I made a hasty exit.

My apple flavour arrived this morning. I put a few drops in my tank with the tobacco flavour already in there. It definitely has potential to be rather lovely, but I need to put more in. I didn't want to fill the tank with it as I thought that might be too strong.

ginmakesitallok Thu 17-Oct-13 20:00:03

T juice do a nice apple, Pom pomme. I'm currently vaping cocomel from vape escape , it's lovely.

MaggieMcGill Thu 17-Oct-13 21:39:13

I've converted my neighbour, she has ordered the 5 pick n mix smile

I still feel a bit funny about vaping outside though. I did take my ecig out on Sat but that soon got ditched for the real thing. I managed to resist buying a packet just smoked everyone else's

DP has been calling my Ego my crack pipe!

I'm starting to run low on liquid but I think I may buy the 11mg this time. Is it possible to overdose on nicotine? Sometime's I forget to put my ego down and I sit puffing away through a whole programme evening blush

stillenacht Thu 17-Oct-13 21:44:52

I have a few mouth ulcers.. Wondering if I am puffing away far too much! I now have three clearos but I think I like the dessert flavours most. Didnt really like watermelon, left a sort of oniony taste in my mouth urgh.

Flumpyflumps Thu 17-Oct-13 21:47:52

DH has an evod one with lots of flavours etc he LOVES it and he was a massive 20 a day non stop smoker.
He wants me to get one. I've tried a few puffs of his and I always always cough.

Does this subside with regular use?

MaggieMcGill Thu 17-Oct-13 21:56:06

I enjoyed the watermelon one, I may get that one again but a lower dose. I had really bad skin and dry lips last week but I put that down to all the other nasty chemicals coming out but sometimes I do feel as if my hearts racing a little. I'm definitely using it a lot more than I would a proper cig.

MaggieMcGill Thu 17-Oct-13 22:02:12

I'm not sure flumps, I've always been ok with mine, do you smoke much? Someone else will maybe know, I'm still learning about this myself smile

Cantabile Thu 17-Oct-13 22:30:49

Flumps, I did cough a bit at first - well the first time I coughed like a good'un! I have found that if you suck gently and slowly it doesn't make you cough and you get more flavour.

I've converted my brother! He got a Sky cig kit the other day, which arrived yesterday. The case thing which comes with it is beautifully designed and I am rather jealous of it! He's a massively heavy smoker like I was, so he's been through one cartridge (?) already - it came with 5. He refilled it with some of my apple, and is enjoying it a lot.

I seem to be averaging about 10 cigarettes a day, which is absolutely brilliant. I was on 40-50. My brother has cut down to about 10 a day too, from 60ish.

Long may it last!

QueenStromba Fri 18-Oct-13 01:31:57

I've not had a cigarette for about six months now and I don't see myself having another one again. I started with E-Lites and very quickly got onto filling them myself and then onto an EGo plus Mini Nova. I find that the CE4 clearomisers are good for flavours like cookie and Irish Cream but are rubbish for fruit flavours because they are too high resistance.

Someone earlier linked to the UK version of Flavour Art but I feel like I should let you know that the Italian site is way cheaper (they are based in Italy) if you are happy to wait a few weeks for your order and to wait another few weeks for some of the flavours to develop. The Italian site is ordering straight from the factory and I find that the tropical flavours in particular taste awful when you buy them direct but are rather nice a month later. I particularly recommend their cookie and fruit of the forest flavours which are good straight away. I loved their lychee flavour when I bought it from Liberty Flights and was underwhelmed when I bought it direct so I think I just need to wait for the flavour to develop. They're also the cheapest place I've found for PG base. VG is just glycerine from the baking aisle in any supermarket - I bought a shed load in Sainsbury's recently when they had 38ml bottles of Silver Spoon glycerine for about 40p. Even at the standard price of about 80p for the same amount it's still cheaper than vaping websites.

I vape 50VG:50PG at about 1.3% nicotine. I've got a bottle of 5.4% nicotine in PG base that I double with PG and then add the flavouring and double with VG. It's normally easy enough to find a 15-20% discount code on Liberty Flights's Facebook page so 250ml of 5.4% nicotine liquid costs about £42 which will scale up to a litre of e-liquid for about £50 plus flavourings at about £3 per 100ml of e-liquid. Even at 5ml a day that's 200 days of vaping for £65 on the e-liquid plus maybe another £50 on the atomisers meaning about £150 for the year. I've probably spent nearly £100 on flavours but they'll last for ages and I can mix the ones that I don't like together to find a combination that I do like - I bought a cheap raspberry and a cheap peach which I didn't like on their own but together they're lovely.

Before I was vaping I was on a mix of nicotine lozenges and roll ups. I've given up with lozenges dozens of times but always ended up back on the cigs, this time I don't see myself smoking again at all. I find myself far more able to go extended periods of time without a vape than when I was on cigarettes or lozenges these days. A few weeks ago I called into a friend's house for a couple of hours and didn't need to go out for a vape (she didn't want me vaping in the house) whereas previously I'd have gotten through a couple of lozenges or have gone out for a couple of cigarettes.

I've got about 5 sets of batteries, clearomisers and chargers from paradisevape. Only two of the chargers are still working. One of the batteries has also needed soldering. The batteries also only really work with the CE4 type clearomiser - they'll work with a vivi nova when they're brand spanking new but the threads wear out quite quickly. The EGo batteries that I've got from Liberty flights haven't had the same issues - they all still work with the vivi novas and none of them have fallen apart.

swannylovesu Fri 18-Oct-13 02:09:16

how do you refill a skycig cartridge? DH and i are going through loads!!! x

Cantabile Fri 18-Oct-13 08:11:23

Swanny, he looked on youtube first. Then he got mum's old button hook and hooked off the plastic 'top'. There might be another bit which you have to hook off to, but I'm not sure. Then he squeezed drops of the apple flavour in and put it all back together. The apple came in a needle nosed bottle so it comes out a drop at a time which helps make sure it goes in the right place. I just watched him do it from across the table, so didn't inspect closely. Good luck.

Queen, that's really interesting. What is PG, is it the nicotine solution?

magimedi Fri 18-Oct-13 08:13:32

I started with skycigs & moved to a vaper as I was getting through the cartridges far too fast. I used the tine of a fork to hook off the top via the little hole in the mouth end & just dripped vaping liquid in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now