White girls should stop Twerking AIBU

(154 Posts)
Thepowerof3 Thu 19-Sep-13 13:25:09

To find this comment offensive? A FB (sorry!) friend has posted this comment on a video. I have never twerked nor do I intend to but find it outrageous to be told I shouldn't because I'm white

thebody Thu 19-Sep-13 13:47:13

if I shook my arse like that during doggy style sex wine required I would probably put my back out.

mind we are old.

pipsqueakz Thu 19-Sep-13 13:47:18

I think my sciatica would play up something rotten if I tried to twerk or twunk or whatever it is lol. I will play safe dancing around the hoover like Freddie Mercury haha!

NoelHeadbands Thu 19-Sep-13 13:47:34

Twerking 9 til 5 me

Buzzardbird Thu 19-Sep-13 13:49:10

That video looks like an instructional video for how to use a portaloo when there is no loo roll grin

squoosh Thu 19-Sep-13 13:49:29

Pervs tend to lurk when I start to twerk.
I flip over my back and show them my crack.

RiotsNotDiets Thu 19-Sep-13 13:50:30

I'm not going to learn it, I once spent aaaages learning that soulja boi dance only to find that by the time I was any good the whole craze had passed.

I'll stick to bad ironic dancing and miming the words to the songs to convince everyone I'm enjoying myself, thank you very much.

ShakeAndVac Thu 19-Sep-13 13:54:46

Doesn't matter if you're black, white, or green. EVERYBODY should stop twerking. It's a stupid made up word and doing it makes you look like a giant tit.

MrsLettuce Thu 19-Sep-13 13:55:43

I bet being an expert twerker would help child birth - much as a background in belly dancing is said to...

Chippednailvarnish Thu 19-Sep-13 13:56:15

Have visions of Miley Cyrus visiting the osteopath whilst reminding herself to buy some tenna pads

grin

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 19-Sep-13 13:57:53

Yanbu. We should have equal rights to make utter twats of ourselves regardless of skin colour.

thebody Thu 19-Sep-13 13:58:05

Buzza grin

mrsjay Thu 19-Sep-13 13:58:52

they should all stop doing just stop it THEY ALL look daft ,

Chippednailvarnish Thu 19-Sep-13 13:59:13

Woah double post!

mrsjay Thu 19-Sep-13 13:59:41

I think as said up thread I dont even think it is a real thing it is a made up word

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 19-Sep-13 14:03:18

I want the boundaries better defined too. What if I'm European? Can mixed race girls twerk? Is your Facebook friend a racist misogynist tosser? Should you unfriend him? Should this be in 'Etiquette'? All these questions...

BreconBeBuggered Thu 19-Sep-13 14:06:08

Oh, is THAT what twerking is? I thought it meant pissing around on Twitter in the office all day or something. My back is so fucked it went into spasm at the thought of sitting at a desk for 8 hours, never mind jiggling about like a novelty fairground ride.

Thepowerof3 Thu 19-Sep-13 14:09:44

He is a she, she is mixed race with a white mother and a black father so by her own rules she do half a twerk? I have unfriended her

Inertia Thu 19-Sep-13 14:09:45

Properly laughed at 'whistle while I twerk' SP smile

FunnyRunner Thu 19-Sep-13 14:19:28

I think giving twerking that much thought would be a reason to unfriend her <gavel slam>

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Thu 19-Sep-13 14:23:17

Anybody with a toddler, persuade them they really want to be an orthopaedic surgeon. They'll probably have just qualified as a consultant when all this lot start having back and hip problems. grin

Hassled Thu 19-Sep-13 14:25:26

All girls, white, black or sky-blue pink, should stop twerking. Except possibly Beyonce.

SourSweets Thu 19-Sep-13 14:26:07

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/aug/27/miley-cyrus-twerking-cultural-appropriation

Sorry, I don't know how to make or clicky. This is an interesting article about twerking and "cultural appropriation".

namechangesforthehardstuff Thu 19-Sep-13 14:26:48

Maybe she just wants to make sure her mum doesn't twerk... I stand by racist misogynist though so the fact she's a woman of colour is sad

Thepowerof3 Thu 19-Sep-13 14:30:49

I've read the Guardian article and whilst it is interesting I am so uncomfortable with someone saying certain races should be barred from certain dances/activities by virtue of their colour

Gunznroses Thu 19-Sep-13 14:34:55

shakeandvac hear! grin

Riotsnodiets i tried to learn the soujaboy dance as well, I got my church youths to teach me, still can't do it (legs get all tangled up/stamped on) so you did well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now