Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to hate 'Loose Plans'?

(63 Posts)
MortifiedAdams Sun 15-Sep-13 10:49:56

Evidently we are going for Sunday Lunch with the ILs today. I know where.....I dont know when. No one seems to.know when.

Raaaar!

We didnt do the inviting so feel.bad barging in and saying see you at X time.

Why cant planners make firm plans for their guests¿¡

DragonsAreReal Tue 17-Sep-13 20:10:49

8ish means between half 8 and 9 shakey or be on your way to place by 8.

Well, Dragons, that's fine if you have nothing else on that day.

But among other things I need to fit in on a Sunday there might be DS1's football training and homework, some laundry, feeding a toddler, etc. Waiting all day for "loose planners" to be suddenly ready throws all the other planned activities into disarray.

And you end up eating lukewarm "roast" turkey at a pub that has empty tables for a good reason grin

DragonsAreReal Tue 17-Sep-13 20:21:01

If I had all that on I probably wouldn't be making plans or my plans would go blablabla I would love to go for lunch but because of xyz I can only do it about 2. I wouldn't be waiting around on someone I would do my own thing and if they wanted to come they could come.

I'm not really an uptight person anymore since I learnt to do the above when I would be otherwise busy. Silly IMHO to resent people making you late because you don't make it clear you have stuff to do to. If I was going out for sunday lunch that would be my days plans apart from housy stuff so would assume the same.

Well exactly! So nowadays I am not a loose planner ever.

TheUglyFuckling Tue 17-Sep-13 20:39:32

well that's a fine approach to take to your weekend Dragons if you have bugger all to do all day.

But my DCs usually have sports on a Saturday morning, and I like to fit in a visit to see my Mum. at some point prep needs to get finished and checked.

Also my Dh often works away so the weekend time is really important. so I have little patience with people with nothing else to do, assuming that i have nothing of importance either going on.

DragonsAreReal Tue 17-Sep-13 20:44:47

I make a point of having no early plans, luckily dc's clubs (beavers and gymnastics) are weekdays!

I suppose everyone values their time differently, I need my ME time to relax potter about catching up on housework and the kids, my dm my nan my sister plus my friends. So I make sure I have time to do nothing but potter about catching up on housework ect.

My weekdays are manic from 6am till 8pm I could not cope with manic weekends to.

DragonsAreReal Tue 17-Sep-13 20:45:25

I didn't realise until now I wrote potter about and housework twice blush

DontmindifIdo Tue 17-Sep-13 21:12:22

Dragons, that's fine if it works for you, it doesn't sound like you are driving other people insane by not having firm plans when they need you too to fit in with their other firm plans.

I can't be doing with people who make a badge of honour that they don't do firm plans or organise things, these people tend to just either never do anything interesting, or their lack of thought and effort means they effectively force other people to do the organising for them.

I have decided I don't do eating out on a Sunday until I have no pre-schoolers. Sunday roasts in a pub are always inferior to mine (mass catering different service times means for foods that take long cooking times like roast meat and veg inveriably means it's had to sit around at some point), and they will be busy, which means lots of containing small DCs. A meal out with small children means eating and leaving, not sitting at the table chatting for hours (unless you are in some sort of hell that has a soft play for them, then the food will be rank). Much better to go to someone's house or have people to us, eat food when it's first cooked, let DCs play until the food is actually ready then get down from the table and play when they've finished while the grown ups continue to drink wine to chat and slowly enjoy their lunch.

OP, my advice, next time, fake a migraine. Let DH go with them solo.

AaDB Tue 17-Sep-13 22:57:00

I would go out with dragons. Setting a time allows me to suit myself the rest of the time. I couldn't be arsed with plans for 'after 2' that actually means 3:00 to 5:00 start. wink

AaDB Tue 17-Sep-13 22:58:22

Sorry, I would NOT go out with dragons or her fellow non planners

Selks Tue 17-Sep-13 23:06:16

oh GOD yes this drives me crackers too. One of my closest friends is very vague (and rather flaky) when it comes to firm plans. It's a good thing she has other redeeming features.

I think it's quite selfish actually. All very nice for the person being vague and wanting to keep their options open but not for those around them. Grrr.

grants1000 Tue 17-Sep-13 23:13:44

I hate this OP, I work from home and friends who work part time and say things like "maybe the movies/lunch/gym/walk/coffee on x day, I may call you in the morning?"

Fucking NO angry lets make a plan now, not on your whim so I will drop everything for you

2rebecca Germany Wed 18-Sep-13 08:33:15

I generally avoid lunchtime meetings/ visits on a weekend as it takes up the whole day. I prefer early evening with a definite time. 2pm sounds too late for lunch for me anyway, especially when the kids were small and up early rather than having late brunch. If just going out with a friend it's fine to say "we'll go out Saturday evening" initially but I would expect to have a time and place discussed a few days before going even if it's just "meet at pub at 7 and then see how things go from there". If more than 4 and food involved i'd want a table booked, especially if children involved. Traipsing hungry kids round town isn't fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now