Feeling sick since I read this headline

(68 Posts)
blackpepper123 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:11:34

I was on a bus this morning as had an interview and picked up the metro newspaper which had the most awful headline, I am not going to repeat it here but available on the metro news website if you want to look.

Ever since I read it, I feel really sick and depressed. I have a young daughter myself and cant get the stupid headline out of my head.

I didn't read the article, I couldn't bear to but the damage has been done

AIBU that they shouldn't put headlines like that in newspapers?

blackpepper123 Tue 03-Sep-13 12:58:09

Saucyjack - am I bringing more attention to it? I didn't link to the article, I am focusing on my reaction to it. It must be awful for the families of the people involved also

LifeofPo - is it being a flower to feel sick after reading about a child being attacked? If so, I would rather be a flower than heartless

HeySoulSister Tue 03-Sep-13 13:01:26

Who is heartless?

Eilidhbelle Tue 03-Sep-13 13:01:59

I knew it would be this, YANBU. It came up on the sky news app last night and I thought it was unnecessarily graphic.

LifeofPo Tue 03-Sep-13 13:18:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mintyy Tue 03-Sep-13 13:21:55

Op, don't you think it is a bit self indulgent to post about this when presumably the girl and her family are the ones who are really suffering in all this? Your op is very much all about YOU do you not see?

KatyPutTheCuttleOn Tue 03-Sep-13 13:24:12

Assuming it's about Michael Turner/La Vell, yes it's awful but news headlines are awful. The one on the Metro web site of all the bodies is terrible.
I wouldn't be critical of the OP though, all news headlines are potentially distressing depending on our own background, others we can just say 'how awful' and move on. We don't know what the OP has experienced to make her feel that way.

I remember being (unusually) reduced to tears by two things I saw within weeks of having my PFB - one was a picture on the front of a newspaper of the body of a baby girl in China, the body had been dumped in the gutter and the other was a road accident where the car was on the side and a pink teddy bear was in the road next to the car. Life does that to us, it's part of what makes us human not robotic beings with no emotion.

EldritchCleavage Tue 03-Sep-13 13:30:53

I am not heartless, but as you said this thread is all about you and your reaction which I think is self indulgent

Oh, for heaven's sake. Hide the thread then. OP wants to explore her feelings about this, she's allowed to, what's the problem?

blackpepper123 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:33:14

Good post KatyPutTheCuttleon. We cant help how we feel, some things do affect us more than others

LifeofPo- is it being self indulgent to say how I feel about something? That is what most of AIBU is about!!

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 13:45:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

blackpepper123 Tue 03-Sep-13 13:51:31

I can see why I was so reluctant to register on here now onsesleeptilwembley

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 13:55:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Tue 03-Sep-13 13:57:25

Another one who doesn't understand why they reveal things like this before a verdict? Could it jeopardise the chance of a fair trial? I know jurers aren't supposed to read about it/watch the news but in today's world it'll be everywhere.

Golferman Tue 03-Sep-13 14:01:19

Salacious or dramatic headlines are there to hook the reader in (to buy or read the publication - this is no worse, IMO than those silly 'coffee Break' magazines that some people read) . I would rather these things were published than hidden away to be honest.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 03-Sep-13 14:05:10

The jurors would hear it in court anyway.

I think Yabu......news is often hard to read especially when it's about children, but I'd rather have it out in the open and discussed than hidden away.

EldritchCleavage Tue 03-Sep-13 14:09:04

The headline is taken from the prosecution's opening speech to the jury. It's the prosecution case that this is what Turner did.

Wow why the hostility towards the OP?
Its ok to feel the way you do, sometimes I fear we are becoming too immune to stuff like this, it doesn't shock us anymore.

Wembly you are being very cruel! How dare you speak to the OP like that. She can post whatever she bloody wants and some of us are happy to support her.

Tad aggressive Wembley - you can get your point across without being quite so offensive surely?

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 14:25:49

And other people can post whatever they want, instead of tip toeing around someone professing to be so upset about something thats happening to someone else they have to start posting about it. People like that make me gobsmacked at their sheer hypocrisy and self centred misery.

You need to get over yourself Wembly!

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 03-Sep-13 14:32:34

Think it's the OP that needs to.

BoozyBear Tue 03-Sep-13 14:42:42

as he is on trial not proven guilty, i dont think ANY of the case details ought to be made public.

Even if he's cleared, mud sticks.

EldritchCleavage Tue 03-Sep-13 14:43:36

Where is the hypocrisy?

MollyHooper Tue 03-Sep-13 14:45:52

What's your beef wembley?

The OP has posted because she is upset, she has her own reasons for this.

Why should that annoy you?

Auntfini Tue 03-Sep-13 14:46:17

I think the reference to the teddybear in the headline itself was very, very hard to stomach.
Awful case.

onesleep you are being cruel.

If it was similar to the Guardian's headline then I can imagine that it was awful. The one in the G brought tears to my eyes before I'd even read the article.

It's dreadful to read but life is full of dreadful things and we have to face them. I felt similarly about the pictures f the Chinese baby found in the drain-they stayed with me for weeks. I'm sorry you were upset OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now