to not want to go on a family camping trip with a 7 week old baby?

(120 Posts)
peacefuleasyfeeling Thu 08-Aug-13 23:14:03

DH has his heart set on going on a family camping trip the week after next. DD2 will be just 7 weeks old (DD1 has recently turned 3). He has in mind a very gorgeous site about an hour and a half from here, very remote with no facilities apart from a stand-pipe and a few portaloos. Normally we love this place and would go at the drop of a hat, but this time, I just feel like it's going to be such a lot of hard work! Neither DD sleeps through the night. DD2 is breasfed which makes it easier inthis context, I suppose, but the thought of shivery night-feeds and nappy changes by the light of a flickering headtorch, trying to keep everyone quiet so as not to disturb fellow campers, makes my heart heavy. At 5 weeks DD2 usually gets covered in poo or sick at some point every day (and night) and I'm pretty sure she still will two weeks from now. Added to that the certainty that DD1, in the absence of blackout blinds, will be rising with the sun... I just think it'll be hard work and I really don't want to upset other campers by having noisy kids on the site. What do you think?

MistyB Thu 08-Aug-13 23:44:51

For a whole week?? Not on your nelly. Does DD2 travel well in the car? Perhaps you could plan an overnight where DH and DD1 stay overnight and you and DD2 drive back home once you have spent the day doing sitting around, roasting marshmallows and other such campy stuff and perhaps drive back the next day to pick them up but 6 hours in a car over two days doesn't sound like that much fun either so perhaps putting the tent up in the back garden might be better?

Fruitnut Thu 08-Aug-13 23:45:46

Yanbu!

I'd laugh hysterically at that suggestion. Wtf is he thinking!? Tell him he's more than welcome but you're booking into a 5 star hotel.

Sparklyboots Thu 08-Aug-13 23:48:58

No way, mine has similar delusions! My line is: it won't be a holiday, it'll be everything I have to do on a daily basis anyway, with none of the facilities or support networks that make it achievable.

Ours are 2yr and 3mo. DP has this idea that we could all lie in a field, unwinding. Even though he does plenty of toddler childcare? Every single time we discuss it, and I point out the realities of being with a toddler, he goes, 'oh yeah...' like he just discovered they require supervision.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Thu 08-Aug-13 23:55:53

Tell him there is a mumsnet law about no one going camping with children younger than five. Caravan with toddler maybe, tent with kids who have mastered the art of portaloo use... His plan is mad. Brave, optimistic, spirited, but mad, and you must make a stand for sanity!

NeverFinishWhatYouStarted Thu 08-Aug-13 23:57:36

We did this when DD was about 7 months. The tent was too cold so she didn't sleep. Poor DH spent half the night walking the roads with her in her pram to try to get her to sleep/avoid pissing off other campers. DS (a toddler at the time) was awake at dawn, wanting to be entertained.

We were home in time for lunch the following day...

sparkle12mar08 Thu 08-Aug-13 23:59:34

I wouldn't even consider it, in fact I'd have laughed in his face and assumed he was joking tbh. Let him take dd1 and have some nice time together, let him experience exactly what it's like looking after her 24/7 by himself too!

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 09-Aug-13 00:08:40

We have just returned from a UK beach holiday. DS2 is 7 weeks and his siblings are 2, 4 and 6. Had we not booked this 18 months ago, paid alot for it and if I didn't know the others were looking forward to returning there, I would have happily not gone. As someone upthread said, it's doing all your normal stuff in a more challenging situation. Oh, and we had GPs with us for one of the weeks, but I still came home more tired than when I went .......

We went camping with a six week old and loved it. Didn't find it in anyway stressful, quite the opposite.

BUT

At seven weeks it should be totally your choice. If the thought makes your heart sink then that should be enough for your DH to understand that for you it's not going to be enjoyable.

Every baby is different so while some sleep better in the air, others don't. You know yourself and at that age you are getting to know your baby.

FWIW we recently took DD, 22 months, camping and it was far more stressful and knackering than when she was younger because she kept galloping off. Still had a great time but it wasn't relaxing in the slightest.

If you don't want to go, don't. Agree with letting dh take DD though - then he can have his holiday and you can have a lovely peaceful time sofa surfing with your baby.

LooplaLoopy Fri 09-Aug-13 05:58:56

I went camping at 9 days post C section, and again to a festival at 4 weeks, a camping party at 6 weeks etc. and it was brilliant BUT I chose to. I knew I'd be fine, we have a massive bell tent and it was my decision.

If you don't want to, you really shouldn't. Can't it wait a few weeks? Why does it have to be then?

Fourwillies Fri 09-Aug-13 06:38:35

"LooplaLoopy Fri 09-Aug-13 05:58:56
I went camping at 9 days post C section, and again to a festival at 4 weeks, a camping party at 6 weeks etc. and it was brilliant BUT I chose to."

^^

Camping less than 2 weeks after a major operation??? Oh my actual god. In fact, camping at all!

CailinDana Fri 09-Aug-13 06:39:23

YANBU.

Morgause Fri 09-Aug-13 06:45:04

You are not being in the least unreasonable.

ChasedByBees Fri 09-Aug-13 06:45:12

How would you keep the temperature stable for a small baby? Camping is either boiling hot as the sun shines on the tent or freezing in the middle of the night. Might you also still have lochia?

The baby crying in the middle of the night won't be welcomed by anyone else either. Could you easily stop DD1 wandering off?

Sounds like the actual worst idea ever.

Fairylea Fri 09-Aug-13 06:46:59

I think he's inconsiderate even suggesting it actually.

Yanbu.

Tell him to go with dd. You stay home with the baby and your other dc gets some quality time with her dad. Win win.

Amy106 Fri 09-Aug-13 06:51:50

No way. If he wants to take dd1 out camping for a few days, no problem. But camping and babies? In my experience, it's not a good mix.

spacemaster Fri 09-Aug-13 06:54:33

Same s**t, but much less convenient location.

The youngest we camped with was 5 months - it was fine but 7 wks is a bit young. How old was dd1 when you first took her? If you do go then we put the dc in snowsuits instead of sleeping bag to sleep as it gets cold at night. I think dh taking dd1 sounds like the best idea.

auntpetunia Fri 09-Aug-13 07:05:44

YANBU what is he thinking? I love camping but the site you described with a 7 week old....I'd tell him to dream on. Or he can take DD for a few days and you and baby can visit for odd days but not sleep there.

Yorkieaddict Fri 09-Aug-13 07:17:11

YANBU I love camping. We took DS at 7 months and it was fine, but he was sleeping through the night by then, and was a very easygoing baby. Despite that getting him to go to sleep in a tent was challenging to say the least! I can understand you not being keen with a 7 week old, and if you won't enjoy it why spend the money! I hope your DH sees sense!

Cherriesarelovely Fri 09-Aug-13 07:20:19

Ummmm no! What a horrible thought!

Whothefuckfarted Fri 09-Aug-13 07:21:05

YADNBU.

Is you're dh a fucking idiot? No woman in her right mind would want to do that.

Alwayscheerful Fri 09-Aug-13 07:23:24

Stay at home and relax and let your DH take the DCs. Enjoy the peace and quiet.

Artijoke Fri 09-Aug-13 07:24:20

I recently took 8 week old DS camping. Along with our older 2 children and four other families which gave us a total of 13 under 7 year olds. DS wasn't th youngest, my friends DD was 6 weeks.

I am not a very intrepid type and dud it for my dee kids but with a sense of dread. The site was covert basic and it was mid heat wave.

We had a fabulous time. The babies were very settled as they were outside under trees that seemed to hypnotise them. I got to relax with good friends. The older kids had the best time. Nights were fine, newborns can be breastfed back to sleep anywhere, my friend with a one year old had a nightmare as his routine was broken but the little babies were oblivious.

So it can be done and even enjoyed.

Artijoke Fri 09-Aug-13 07:25:43

Sorry for typos, posting while feeding never works well!

Amiee Fri 09-Aug-13 07:29:14

I first took DD at 5 months, she was sleeping through and I was still bf (great for camping). We had a great time but I wouldn't have gone when she was younger. 7 week old babies do not regulate their temperatures very well.
How about a caravan or yert as a compromise?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now