.... to think that cake smashes are utterly ridiculous??

(127 Posts)
honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:59:53

my niece had a very expensive cake... a princess castle that was so well made and my sil went through so much trouble to bring it 25 miles to her party in my town..
refused to cut it or give anyone a slice saying she wanted to get it home untouched..... then let her destroy it... she did everything to it other than eat it....

i might sound boring here but i just find it an utter waste to blow that sort of money on something that will be wrecked in minutes shock

when i was a kid i was neglected, i was lucky if i got fed a pot noodle for my dinner. so i cant help but be abit shock when i see kids nowadays having so much money and expensive things at their disposal...

i heard its an american craze... but if it must happen, why not a cheapie cake thrown together rather than a beautiful expensive one?! i just dont understand it blush

KatyTheCleaningLady Tue 09-Jul-13 21:48:39

I'm American. I got photos of my son covered in icing at his first birthday. I thought it was cute. But, it was just a slice of the cake. I gave him a slice and enjoyed watching him make a happy mess of himself with his portion.

Is that a "cake smash?"

DalekInAFestiveJumper Tue 09-Jul-13 21:51:02

I blame Pinterest. I'd never heard of such a goofy-ass thing before (And I'm American.), but then it hit Pinterest and suddenly several of my friends were doing it with their littlest ones.

wharrgarbl Tue 09-Jul-13 21:52:08

Mine tasted cake for the first time at his first birthday party - ended up with both fists full of cake, but it was just from one small cake, or a slice, I can't remember.
Ugh, it also sounds vile and wasteful to me, too.

Remotecontrolduck Tue 09-Jul-13 21:58:38

Wasteful, disrespectful if someone's spent time making it, just a bit grim really.

I hate trotting out 'there are starving kids in the world' line, but there are, and smashing up an expensive cake or any food just seems so grotesque.

Mintyy Tue 09-Jul-13 22:03:59

Lovecat - I wasn't on the punching the cake thread. I have never heard of the punching the cake thread. I expect quite a lot of others who think that cake smashing sounds puerile (at best) probably weren't on that thread either.

I really think the people of the collective first world need to question their sanity if they genuinely think it is amusing to let a baby cover itself in cake for the sake of adult amusement.

If I hadn't read it here I would honestly doubt that such nonsense actually existed.

Latara Tue 09-Jul-13 22:07:38

Do people actually genuinely set out to wreck their expensive wedding dresses too? I can't believe that.

If they don't want the dress again then they should sell it!

And cake all over someone's face (child or adult) is gross, not cute!

Dress wrecking

Warning, you may combust with rage.

pianodoodle Tue 09-Jul-13 22:19:43

DD's 2nd birthday recently we had a hedgehog cake.

I'd managed to keep her still long enough to take a picture of her with it but then I turned round to get plates for everyone and she'd jammed her great fist through it :D

We just ate round that bit..

It was funny because it wasn't engineered.

I don't think it would have been as genuinely funny to say "OK let's all sit and watch while the baby smashes the cake up"

It loses humour when it's staged like that.

Like in Tesco when she grabbed a peach off the stand and stuffed it into her mouth (I paid for it don't worry). It's the spontaneous nature of it that's funny, not just "The baby's eating a peach start laughing now"

That's as well as the waste of the nice expensive cake which doesn't sit well with me anyway.

PocketQueens Tue 09-Jul-13 22:20:51

Ooh I've never heard of this. Strange, and a waste. I'm with expat on the Wedding cake thing too, I just don't think its funny confused

Remotecontrolduck Tue 09-Jul-13 22:28:23

WTF @ wrecking your dress?! Why?? If you don't want it give it to the charity shop or something, loads of women might be hard up financially but would love a beautiful dress to get married in, even second hand. Plus a charity benefits. I hate wastefulness for the sake of it.

As for the wedding cake, it would be instant annulment. Well, it wouldn't, as anyone I'd be marrying would know exactly what my views on such twattery were before hand.

I have no sense of humor when it comes to this sort of thing.

pianodoodle Tue 09-Jul-13 22:28:51

It's like those thousands of Facebook pictures with babies covered in spaghetti bolognese.

It's hilarious if you were there to witness it but to others, it's just another photo of a messy baby in a high chair looking a bit grim.

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Tue 09-Jul-13 22:29:21

I hate trash the dress. it would be so lovely to donate and would mean so much to a woman low on funds

HoneyDragon Tue 09-Jul-13 22:36:05

I want to know where the competitive baking threads are? They sound awesome.

emess Tue 09-Jul-13 22:39:25

I am outraged and sad at this gross idea. What a waste. I am very, very glad that my DCs are well past their baby/toddler years so that I don't have to witness this nonsense, or be expected to participate in it.
<hoists bosom>

Oldraver Tue 09-Jul-13 22:46:25

Messing around with food is a bugbear of mine

Small child/baby being given a piece of cake and getting it everywhere = fine, and par for the course with how little ones feed themselves.

Purposely destroying food = not fine, ranks along side food fights and that cake shoving in the face thing.

Anyone attempting to throw or flick food in my vacinty will feel my wrath

musicposy Tue 09-Jul-13 23:22:49

I don't get people like pianodoodle who find it funny that their 2 year olds smash cake with fists or grab things to eat in Tescos. OK, they are little but surely this is when you start teaching them these things are wrong and bad manners, not laugh? There's no way I'd have thought my children doing that at 2 was funny. They already knew how they were expected to behave in those situations (they didn't always follow it at 2 but then I gently reminded them).

Mine are teens now and cannot believe how some adults just let toddlers get away with anything nowadays.We see so many todflers just runing wild, annoying others, dedtroying things, and their parents seem to ignore it or laugh.

I am astounded at the wastefulness and bad manners of the cake smashing thing. It's not funny and I can't see how it is. But then I grew up in the 60s /70s when you were expected not to waste a morsel of food. I'm an old gimmer, I guess!

honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:32:18

i wish it was just a dummy cake sad it was a 2 tier chocolate one, with four towers. tower roofs were sparkley, had ivy on the side of the towers... the castle doors had a lace effect piped on. on the iced board there was a pathway leading to the doors (looked like popping candy was used as gravel) and 2 mini patio flower trees either side of the entrance.

i know i didnt pay for it myself but i was actually gutted to see it handed to a baby... tbh it was sil who smashed more up than her blush and shes complained ever since that shes so skint... so much so she cant get a train ride to see us... she even used that excuse on my daughters birthday...

and dramatic as it sounds but (as ive already said) i was a child who didnt get fed i wouldve loved a slice of cake blush so i cant help that food wastage to that level annoys the bejesus outta me... and the money too... when theres families relying on food banks... and surely thats like setting an example that its ok to waste food, chuck it around.... at an age where they be soon toddlers that copy everything lol
im an individualist ( if theres such a word) so i dont like pointless crazes such as this... and eyelashes on cars confused
as for the dress wrecking.... just beggars belief

pianodoodle Wed 10-Jul-13 08:00:01

musicposy

"people like pianodoodle"?

So based on 2 incidents you form an opinion that I let my toddler run wild?

All I can say is, that could not be further from the case and anyone who actually knows me (and DD) would laugh at the mere suggestion of it!

crashdoll Wed 10-Jul-13 08:43:05

Interesting that on a forum where BLW is considered to be so fucking fantastic that people are against a baby doing that to a small cake on their birthday!!

melika Wed 10-Jul-13 09:01:04

How distasteful to waste anything, I think my face would show the sheer horror of it. Awful and YANBU.

TeeBee Wed 10-Jul-13 09:04:20

Horrible

Kikithecat Wed 10-Jul-13 09:04:41

<combusts with rage>

TeeBee Wed 10-Jul-13 09:05:07

Everyone knows cake punching should take place in supermarkets only.

BarnYardCow Wed 10-Jul-13 09:25:10

Not my idea of fun, and a waste of cake, but I am boring!!

Interesting that on a forum where BLW is considered to be so fucking fantastic that people are against a baby doing that to a small cake on their birthday!!

I'm a bit baffled by this thread too. DS wasted an awful lot of food when he was weaning (up the walls, on his chair, on the floor), is that combust-worthy too..?

Though I do think most of the criticism is geared towards the elaborate cakes that are made just to smash, not a small cake especially for the child to eat which I think is perfectly fine confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now