To Say No Thanks To This...

(62 Posts)
FunLovinBunster Tue 02-Jul-13 15:09:33

Have just received email from a class parent asking us for cash to buy 2 girls in DDs class a leaving present...
One of the kids is Alpha Mothers and head of mummy clique DD.
It's their choice to leave, so why the actual fuck are we having to buy a present???
Email says its "optional" to join in collection. We all know what optional means in practice when it comes to school politics....
Have just had to shell out £10 for collection for teachers. Another demnding email. Another passive aggressive "optional" ...

WorrySighWorrySigh Tue 02-Jul-13 22:23:26

DH has just reminded me of a couple of other things which DCs' primary school did:

- official teachers birthday (a bit like the queen!) for the whole school. The only collection was that each child was asked to bring in a single flower. These were then put together by the class mother to make a bouquet for the teacher.

- children's birthdays in reception were celebrated with the lighting of a candle for each year gone and one for the year to come. This accompanied by the teacher explaining what the children could do at each age and what they would be able to do in the year to come.

- in later years the birthday girl or boy would bring in a box of chocolates and would be given a blank card. They would then go from class to class and the teachers would sign the card and get a chocolate in return.

All very low key and child-centric.

Nanny0gg Tue 02-Jul-13 22:35:10

Crumbs.
If a child ever left our school, the class would make a lovely card, usually accompanied by a fun class photo.

All arranged by the teacher/TA.

Nothing to do with the parents.

Thankfully.

TalkativeJim Wed 03-Jul-13 00:13:32

Oh, a real pity that when she was proclaiming that her DC were being moved as your current school isn't academic enough, you didn't innocently reply - 'Yes, I can see why you'd want to send them somewhere that will push them along a bit more.' smile

kotinka Wed 03-Jul-13 00:14:52

OP ignore, feck ' em.

StuntGirl Wed 03-Jul-13 02:16:40

God, why do you care so much?

Ignore, delete, move on!

we have several 'alpha' mums all continually attempting to out-alpha each other!
the rest of us all just sit back with our popcorn and 3d glasses and watch with wry amusement.

everlong Wed 03-Jul-13 06:58:13

You hate her.

Why are you even giving this head space?

everlong Wed 03-Jul-13 07:01:24

When a little boy left ds's school earlier this year there was no email asking for money.

He had a lot of presents on his last day that people had bought individually, he's a lovely boy and well liked. But nobody was pressured.

His mum brought cakes in too.

WorrySighWorrySigh Wed 03-Jul-13 07:07:52

I agree everlong, it is possible for changes to be marked without it turning into passive aggressive competitive parenting.

Pagwatch Wed 03-Jul-13 07:10:42

I don't contribute to teachers collections, nor collections for class reps or sports coaches etc etc.
If I or dd want to we buy a gift. If not we don't.

No one else seems to care if I contribute or not. I haven't been shunned or anything.

FunLovinBunster Wed 03-Jul-13 14:20:41

Worry, that school sounds amazing! Little"rituals" that you mentioned are lovely, I particularly love the flower idea for teachers birthday.
Talkative, I can't be arsed co muni casting with this woman.
But I did phone my mum and tell her about it. We were both a bit WTAF??

FunLovinBunster Wed 03-Jul-13 14:23:37

Comunicasting? Communicating!
DD came home from a party at the weekend.
Comment #1 Alpha kissed Daddy, Mummy.
Daddy: Alpha kissed everyone

Comment#2 Alpha was wearing Lycra shorts Mummy
DD, Daddy and I: ewwwww....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now