would you go swimming while on a period

(149 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:44:02

Every thursday i take the DC swimming ( ds has a lesson so I go in with DD)

Its been fine up to now, but i am at the end of my period. Would it be disguesting if i was to wear my mooncup and continue to take them today.

the alternitive is DD not going today.

ICantRememberWhatSheSaid Thu 27-Jun-13 16:53:53

I do everything completely as normal when I have a period except on my very heaviest day or days.

I am not sure I would risk white shorts though confused

EeyoreIsh Thu 27-Jun-13 16:54:30

I've often swum with my period, even if it means changing it just before and after swim.

I've never tried it with a mooncup, not sure how comfortable or safe that would be...

Justfornowitwilldo Thu 27-Jun-13 16:54:38

I rollerblade wink

MrsHoarder Thu 27-Jun-13 16:54:38

I'd empty the mooncup before and have a shower before too (usually do anyway, but more thorough), but that done I'd do it.

redrubyshoes Thu 27-Jun-13 16:55:17

In my forties now and breezed through them to the point in my teens, twenties and thirties I would forget I had my period and have to rush out and buy tampons.

Now they are just horrific to the point of changing every HOUR throughout the second/third day and every three hours in the night. TMI but when you are bleeding clots the size of plums swimming is NOT an option. I would scare the public and staff!

Every twenty five days I could book an appointment to be 'ill'. sad

gordyslovesheep Thu 27-Jun-13 16:55:33

I have been swimming with both tampons and a mooncup (not at the same time!) with no problems at all

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 27-Jun-13 16:58:22

RedRuby - I think it was Ben Elton grin

miffybun73 Thu 27-Jun-13 16:59:12

I don't because I use sanitary towels.

Jan49 Thu 27-Jun-13 17:02:45

I wouldn't go swimming during a period, but I've never tried a Mooncup.

redrubyshoes Thu 27-Jun-13 17:04:33

I think we need a spreadsheet of ages here.

Over forty
30 - 40

Over forty and still having periods - swimming NO!

livinginwonderland Thu 27-Jun-13 17:16:20

Of course, though I remember using being on my period as an excuse to get out of swimming at school! (Although, conveniently, I could still swim on my period on holidays wink)

Chunderella Thu 27-Jun-13 17:25:17

No, but I don't care for internal protection so its not really an option. Never really considered that I was setting a bad example to DD because of this though, I tend to think that what I put in my vagina is my own business and nobody elses. If I teach her nothing else, I'll teach her that. Anyways, if you want to swim and have suitable sanpro you're comfortable with, why wouldn't you?

gordyslovesheep Thu 27-Jun-13 17:29:09

over 40 - yes :D

MammaTJ Thu 27-Jun-13 17:34:21

Try a soak in the bath when you have your period to give you the confidence that it is ok. I did not get on with tampons at all when I first started, then just about managed with them. Now I have my wonderful mooncup and would not hesitate to swim with it in.

rowtunda Thu 27-Jun-13 17:36:56

A period has never stopped me but that was the way I was brought up (v feminist mum who wouldn't hear of a period stopping snything!). the day my first period started I was meant to go swimming, my mum was aghast when I asked her for a note for school she told me to stop being so silly and showed me how to use a tampon instead! The cold water reduces the blood flow anyway, wack a tampon in and off you go

RainbowSpiral Thu 27-Jun-13 17:39:52

Actually, I wouldn't swim with a mooncup. But then I gave up on my mooncup the day it "tilted", need I say more, luckily I was alone in my own house!

But yes with a tampon I would swim as normal.

Thistledew Thu 27-Jun-13 17:41:12

I swim with my mooncup too. I try to remember to empty it soonish before and after, but it hasn't caused me problems when I have forgotten.

curlew Thu 27-Jun-13 17:43:40

The only thing I didn't do while having a period was wear white trousers and have sex. Everything else just carried on as normal. My dd's the same, I'm glad to say.

Why on earth wouldn't you?

Wishihadabs Thu 27-Jun-13 17:46:37

Rowtunda that's what I thought too (water +exercise reducing flow) I thought exercise was good for cramps ? I would always put a fresh Tampax in before though. The only time in my life I have avoided swimming was after giving birth (I wanted to go in but midwife said not for 6 weeks !, no idea why)

redrubyshoes Thu 27-Jun-13 17:47:57

Did you read my posts above? I really couldn't. I would scare the children if I did. sad

Happy that you sail through your periods but I really don't anymore.

curlew Thu 27-Jun-13 17:50:05

Redrubyshoes- have you been to the doctor about them? That does 't sound right- and you must be incredibly anaemic too.......sad

valiumredhead Thu 27-Jun-13 17:50:06

If mooncups are tilting it's because you aren't twisting them to form a seal -I might start a campaign grin

quoteunquote Thu 27-Jun-13 17:52:46

Is this thread a piss take? confused

Do people really not go swimming because of periods, I thought that only happened in books set decades ago.

I have always had major periods, It never occurred to me not to swim.

I would of been kicked off the team for that.

Just use a big tampax if you are worried.

Is there any other activities that are frowned upon to partake when you have a period?

curlew Thu 27-Jun-13 17:54:42

Well, i have heard that reading novels can be too stimulating for women hill pregnant...........

curlew Thu 27-Jun-13 17:55:38

Oh, and menstruating women turn the milk sour......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now