would you go swimming while on a period

(149 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:44:02

Every thursday i take the DC swimming ( ds has a lesson so I go in with DD)

Its been fine up to now, but i am at the end of my period. Would it be disguesting if i was to wear my mooncup and continue to take them today.

the alternitive is DD not going today.

I've been swimming today & I'm on my period grin Mine are now really light but even when they were heavy I used to go, never in shark infested water though wink

I get quite ragey (sp?) when periods get in the way of life, pah men don't know they're born angry wink

BrianTheMole Thu 27-Jun-13 16:18:13

Mooncup is fine for swimming.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Thu 27-Jun-13 16:19:47

Surely though, water doesn't go up your vagina when you're swimming?

Facebaffle Thu 27-Jun-13 16:20:23

I stopped swimming whilst using a tampon as I once had pink liquid running down my leg when I was waiting in a queue for the showers sad

I wouldn't take that chance again.

OrangeLily Thu 27-Jun-13 16:21:24

I would!

But not if I was feeling bloated and sore. I would eat chocolate on the sofa instead.

HandMini Thu 27-Jun-13 16:24:11

I go swimming wearing a tampon. Never occurred to me you couldn't. In fact, isn't that what loads of Tampon marketing used to go on about - the fact you could do stuff with a tampon that you couldn't with a towel. No experience of mooncups.

valiumredhead Thu 27-Jun-13 16:24:41

Hop, where do you think it goes?

Dahlialover Thu 27-Jun-13 16:26:28

I have always used a tampon when going swimming with a period - just put a clean one in before I go in and make sure the string is well tucked in. Then change it for a clean one after, just in case there is some swimming pool in it.

I gave up swimming altogether after second pregnancy, when damage from the first one got worse and tampons fell out and swimming pool water got in. But I have been mended so hopefully that won't happen (although I have not tested it yet - too put off by what I have seen in the swimming pool water in the past)

CloudsAndTrees Thu 27-Jun-13 16:27:02

I do, it never occurred to me not to. That the whole point of tampons isn't it?

Ijustbluemyself Thu 27-Jun-13 16:27:12

As someone who swimmed competitively as a child, and spent most of my time in pools, they are pretty disgusting, but this is why there's chlorine in it. Tampon, mooncup, absolutely fine...this is not the 1800s.

I remember being told in school that your period stopped when you got in water hmm. This wasn't long ago either, late 90s!

Dahlialover Thu 27-Jun-13 16:27:38

"tampons fell out and swimming pool water got in"

Sorry - badly phrased - this did not happen at the same time confused

5madthings Thu 27-Jun-13 16:27:49

Of course you can swim when you have your period, I just used tampons, and they do indeed soak up a bit if the pool water... So need changing asap afterwards!

I do distance swimming tho, an hour and 80 lenghts .

happygirl87 Thu 27-Jun-13 16:29:28

I really like swimming on my period, it helps the cramps and the weightlessness reduces the sort of "heavy" feeling you can get. Mind you, I love swimming full stop, always have done, and only learnt to use tampons (which I found really painful) when I was 13 and on holiday in South of France, boiling hot, and my little brother was in the pool every day....

Yonihadtoask Thu 27-Jun-13 16:29:30

Yes of course.

I only ever thought that women who avoided swimming were towel users.

A tampon, or better yet a Mooncup will keep everything in place.

Ijustbluemyself Thu 27-Jun-13 16:30:23

*swam

wow

specialsubject Thu 27-Jun-13 16:31:13

yes, of course, with suitable internal protection. Also sends a very bad message to your daughter to do otherwise: 'I can't do things for one quarter of the next forty years'.

Tee2072 Thu 27-Jun-13 16:31:18

Is it 1952?

schilke Thu 27-Jun-13 16:33:40

I don't on my heavy days...I don't like leaving the house it can be so heavy and I just feel tired so wouldn't want to go swimming. On lighter days I would.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Thu 27-Jun-13 16:35:24

I agree with everyone; it's fine to swim. I would empty your mooncup straight after in case any water has collected in it but I really don't see a big problem.

Justfornowitwilldo Thu 27-Jun-13 16:37:23

Shilke if they're so heavy you don't want to leave the house have you gotten any medical help? There are tablets that can reduce the flow and other options as well.

redrubyshoes Thu 27-Jun-13 16:44:39

Which comedian came out with this:

"Tampax! Tampax! My wife has been using them for years and still can't swim or ride a fricking bike!"

This was in the eighties after a series of adverts showing women in white shorts and bikinis doing all sorts of stuff during their period.

I curl up with a hot water bottle and die quietly. Sometimes to relieve the boredom I vomit and faint with the pain.

Tis such fun.

<sobs>

schilke Thu 27-Jun-13 16:46:30

Oh are there? It's usually only one day that is dreadful. The whole thing is so unpredictable now. One month not too bad, the next month with a terrible day. I wondered if it was an age thing...41 next week. Before dc4 was born, 7 years ago, my periods were fine.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 27-Jun-13 16:47:10

I don't. My mooncup fills up with water sad

valiumredhead Thu 27-Jun-13 16:52:32

If it fills up it's because there isn't a seal. Do you give it half a turn once you insert out?

Justfornowitwilldo Thu 27-Jun-13 16:52:43

It could be an age thing. I like to think of it as my uterus finding new and interesting ways of being inconvenient. If I get very stressed I end up with flooding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now