to think Lelli kelly shoes are in fact the work of the devil

(123 Posts)
ChairmanoftheBored Sat 25-May-13 07:24:51

NOT toddler reins as previously suggested. The advert for Lelli Kelly shoes is just awful. Little girls running around in a completely pink set, with overpriced sandals on. But its all good, 'cos you get a free pink, flashing, sparkly cupcake with pink lipgloss in!!!!!!
Argggggg!!!!!!! What a bloody joke.
Of course my DD who is 5, now really wants a pair! That's what you get for putting on milkshake for DC on a Saturday morning so you can come on Mumsnet! Naughty, naughty Mummy. grin

HerrenaHarridan Sat 25-May-13 08:19:57

Threads like this make me realise that dds shoes being prescribed in the nhs really does save me a lot of brain ache.

Even disabilities can have their advantages

This is also an example of why the only tv shows my dd sees are specifically chosen and downloaded by me wink (although she's only 16mo so it won't last forever sad)

threesypeesy Sat 25-May-13 08:21:48

My dds have had loads of pairs of them and they are made brilliantly imo we never had an issue and there so cute but then again my 3dds are always in pink. I don't like clarks so old fashioned I buy lelly kellies from our local kids boutique as its the only place with decent branded shoes and there well priced imo

raisah Sat 25-May-13 08:22:52

The song and voice in the ad is awful. Hideous design & price almost £50. My ds wants a pair as does my dd. Sigh

MsVestibule Sat 25-May-13 08:27:43

At the risk of sounding horribly smug, this is why my DCs have never watched anything but Cbeebies! I don't think they're really aware that other programmes for children exist. I hate the idea of the constant bombardment of consumer goods at such a young age. On the minus side, we stuggle to know what to buy them at Christmas as they never drop any hints. Apart from the ubiquitous bloody tablets, that all of DDs friends have.

Having said that, I still love all things sparkly, and I believe they're well made, so if they were more reasonably priced, I would probably buy a pair for DD(6) and a pair for me if they did adult size 5s.

meglet Sat 25-May-13 08:37:30

Yanbu.

In desperation I've promised 4yo DD a pair if she starts going to bed sensibly (she's been a PITA in the evenings for 2yrs now).

She wants the light up hair hmm.

meglet Sat 25-May-13 08:39:56

mrsvestible I managed to do smug for years grin but was stuffed when they learnt to turn the telly onto 'Milkshake' at weekends. Gives me 20 mins peace before I have to make breakfast.

FuckThisShit Sat 25-May-13 08:43:19

Meh. I think they're revolting, but DD3 absolutely loves them and has a pair. Apart from my loathing them, they are actually very well made and outlast DD's feet. Her first pair were second hand and I bought the second pair as her sensible shoes, knowing full well they'll be her last pair before she starts school.

Despite, or perhaps in spite of, my best efforts, my third daughter appears to be irresistibly attracted to anything that is pink, sparkly, twirly or glittery. The distress when I attempt to suggest she wears a pair of trousers is simply not worth it, so I don't bother buying them any more.

My older two daughters were complete tomboys until around 16/17, so it's all rather new to me having this pink sparkly bewinged creature grin

WilmaFingerdoo Sat 25-May-13 08:44:25

Yabu.

I agree the adverts are horrendous and that the styles make your eyes swim but

They aren't badly made at all, you can stick them in the washer and they are an excellent fit for awkward feet.

FuckThisShit Sat 25-May-13 08:44:27

MsVestible they do go up to a size five.

Flojobunny Sat 25-May-13 08:51:23

Hideous.
The ones with heels make me want to scream.

FuckThisShit Sat 25-May-13 08:53:36

The heel ones are too much. I hate seeing heels on anyone under 15 tbh. And I wince at the vertiginous pairs my older daughters have. But they're adults so can wear what the hell they want.

Hulababy Sat 25-May-13 09:04:01

Meh! DD had them. She liked them. It was a phase. She's now grown out of it and wears various other less sparkly shoes now.

They were not badly made. They were fitted. They were leather. they lasted too. DD had ankle type boots, canvas pumps and trainers over the time. I don't like heeled shoes on little girls regardless of make so never had them. All lasted for more than one child. The canvas ones lasted being put through the washer to clean them up. They didn't shed their sequins and sparkles either. They cost no more than pumps and trainers by Sketchers.

Not sure DD ever really noticed the adverts though, and yes - a bit of lip gloss might have come with it, but it was a novelty for about 60 seconds at most. No worse than Clarks coming with a toy for example. DD saw them in the independent shoe shop we always used/use.

Hulababy Sat 25-May-13 09:05:36

BTW DD grew out of the phase aged about 7 or 8 at most. She's 11y now and would never wear them. Now its Docs, Cons, etc although she still coverts a pair of wedges for special occasions.

Her little friend who was a boy loved them!

AThingInYourLife Sat 25-May-13 09:06:19

MsVestibule - my kids only watch CBeebies (or DVDs) too.

But they both know Lelli Kellys by name.

LKs are so wonderful they get word of mouth recommendations at nursery school! hmm grin

BlackStiltonBoots Sat 25-May-13 09:07:58

YANBU.

DD1 (age 6) has tried to persuade me to buy her a pair this morning after watching the ad, by suggesting we 'just ask the shop lady for the shoes, we don't have to take the make-up!'

I feel a bit mean for denying her, but Lelli Kellis are The Wrong Shape and a bit ugly.

MsVestibule Sat 25-May-13 09:08:29

Fuckthis now I have to put my money where my mouth is! And risk the ridicule and/or pitying looks of my friends. Except DD will then want a pair and I can't justify spending £100 on 2 pairs of sparkly trainers. Ah well, I'll just have to tell her they don't come in her size wink.

Dahlen Sat 25-May-13 09:13:00

I've heard good things about the quality of them, but I refuse to buy them and make a point of ridiculing the adverts because they display everything I hate about the current trend of sexualising young girls in our society.

MsVestibule Sat 25-May-13 09:14:43

athing how on earth have I got away with this, then? My DD is six, loves all things pink and sparkly and has gone to nursery/school since she was 13 months! Maybe she knows what a tightwad I am so doesn't bother badgering me. Or maybe it's just that she does have some taste after all grin.

daisydoodoo Sat 25-May-13 09:16:04

The dds love them. The advert is awful but the shoes are well made we've never had a problem with the beads falling off.
I usually buy the canvas mary Jane type or the canvas with two velcro strap as they can be thrown in the washer and come out good as new. Last summer we brought the sandals and they lasted a lot longer than the Clark ones. So this winter I gave in and brought dd1 the trainers and they still look as good as new.
My dd's do have a love of all things pink and glittery but that's fine by me. They still play rough and tumble with their brothers and play with cars and fire trucks they just like to wear pink as well.

If you buy them in john lewis they usually bring out a choice of gift and the last two times they've chosen light up pens rather thsn make up.

Damnautocorrect Sat 25-May-13 09:23:36

Awful I agree
It's like they looked at a list of stereotypical girls stuff in a meeting about what junk they come with and ticked it off
mobile phones
hair extensions
make up
cupcakes

Bloody awful adverts

AThingInYourLife Sat 25-May-13 09:23:58

"Maybe she knows what a tightwad I am so doesn't bother badgering me. Or maybe it's just that she does have some taste after all."

Hard to know which of these is less likely.

I'm going for 6 year old with taste grin

Maybe you live in a place where other parents don't spoil it all for the rest of us by buying unicorn vomit shoes. grin

Worst of all is that I am being swayed by accounts of their quality. I am actually turning into my mother.

Two summers of wear and can be passed on?

I don't care what they look like, sign me up! grin

thefuturesnotourstosee Sat 25-May-13 09:47:46

My dd is clearly just odd ( and very fussy)

went shoe shopping with her a couple of years ago (she's now 7) and she rejected everything as too horrible, not pretty, not nice. Finally in despair I pointed out hte Lelli Kellys and asked if shed' like a pair of those. I smugly reassured myself that this was surely a winner and we'd be home in no time. Her response

"No mummy they're for girly babies I'd get teased by my friends if i wore those"

Sigh.

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 25-May-13 09:58:11

I reisisted them as long as I could until dd1 decided she would use her birthday and pocket money to get some, not only would she do that but she would also give the rest of her birthday money to dd2 so that she could get some too <- she's not normally this generous, this was to soften me up a bit because she knew how vehemently I despised Leli Kelly.

I was certain after one pair I would have grounds to refuse to buy them ever again on the basis that they are an over priced pile of tat. Sadly they now have a small collection of Leli Kelly shoes and dd2's wee friend is just waiting for the day that dd2 grows out of her new red ones, because the last pair dd2 gave her are getting too small now. They also have the school shoes.

I still vehemently despise the glitter, the advert, the make up etc. but the shoes themselves would survive a nuclear disaster.

SoupDragon Sat 25-May-13 10:25:43

No worse than Clarks coming with a toy for example.

Except toys are for children. Make up isn't. I think that's what I object to the most.

IfNotNowThenWhen Sat 25-May-13 10:34:25

When I was 4 I made my mum buy me a pair of silver sparkly tap shoes in a charity shop. I still remember their beauty. I would have sold my grandma for lelly Kelli shoes. But, yeah, they are evil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now