To think she should know my order by now?

(134 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 08:26:59

(This is sort of lighthearted. I'm not actually bent out of shape over it.)

Every morning (well, about four out of five weekday mornings) I go to my local Greg's and I order the exact same thing. I smile and I say:

"Good morning! I'd like a bacon roll with a little bit of brown sauce, a chocolate eclaire, and a white coffee with three sugars, please."

Most mornings, the same woman takes my order and, even though I've probably said these words to her two dozen times over the past few weeks, she always looks at me as if she's never seen me before, and she has to ask at least once while preparing my order a question like, "Do you want sausage?" or "Do you want brown sauce?" or "How many sugars?"

There's another woman who works there who does seem to remember me, even though she rarely takes my order. She also offered me a loyalty/reward card thing where you get stamps for a free coffee, because she recognized that I'm a daily regular. I must have been in there a dozen times (served by the forgetful woman) before I even knew they existed.

Is the forgetful woman winding me up? Or am I just deluded to think that someone should remember me (the really tall American who has the exact same thing every morning)?

Also, if Greg's is on your Bingo card, you're welcome. I'll try to come back and drip feed something about parking in here, later.

Ta!

MorrisZapp Fri 24-May-13 09:48:34

Sounds like indifferent service to me, typical of uk. But at least she knows her job, unlike the effing muppets in my local Bagel Factory who stand there looking blank until you ask them if you could possibly have a bagel, which they respond to as if its a special request. They work in a shop called Bagel Factory. BAGEL. But every single time, it's like wow, you want what? A Bagel? Well, ok then. I suppose I could get you that.

I took my sister there because she didn't believe me. They blanked her too, I was pissing myself smile

ephemeralfairy Fri 24-May-13 09:49:32

Yes, service is bad here compared to America. But retail/catering jobs really are the lowest of the low. I know, I've done most of them. Minimum wage, bad managers, no respect and customers who either treat you like a robot or are spectacularly rude. It's kind of no wonder that staff tend not to do the whole bonhomie thing.

CloudsAndTrees Fri 24-May-13 09:50:45

I used to work in a baguette shop when I was a student. People would come in every day asking for exactly the same thing, but during the breakfast and lunch rushes, there is no way I'd have remembered what people had. It was just too manic in a tiny little shop trying to get everyone served and out the shop as quickly as possible.

If it were a sit in cafe you might have a point, but any shop that regularly has people queuing out the front door as Greggs does, does not employ waitresses, so it's not the same.

justmuddlingalong Fri 24-May-13 09:52:48

She's probably only working in Greggs between TV and film jobs/modelling shoots and recording contracts...

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 24-May-13 09:53:25

Having worked in a takeaway for the last four years, do you have any idea how many 'regular' customers this lady will have every morning?

Chances are she does remember you but your order is very similar to another regular customer who comes in at a similar time.

I gave two people the wrong order not long ago because they were both regulars, both came in at the same time and each ordered what the other normally orders, because of things like I this I always try and double check what people want. Some regulars will order the same thing every night for months and then suddenly expect you to know when they fancy a change and look at you all confused when you just ask for their money because you've already put their order in the till.

Do you really eat a chocolate eclair for breakfast???

I hope you brush your teeth after all that.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:03:23

Yes, I do. And no, I don't brush my teeth after.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:04:08

Americans like something sweet with breakfast. Mmmmmm.... Coffee cake....

MadeOfStarDust Fri 24-May-13 10:07:47

mmm - I don't see the difference between a chocolate eclair and a pain au chocolate/croissant/bowl of choco-whatevers.....

and you shouldn't brush your teeth straight after breakfast - you should always do it before (BIL is a dentist)

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 24-May-13 10:09:09

Wow seriously this is what you have for breakfast, I'd be huge if I ate that. I can't even get a scone from our canteen anymore as it mucks up my blood sugars.

I'm always surprised and delighted when the canteen staff remember my coffee order - regular americano with 1/3 hot skinny milk - as it's a bit of a mouthful, but I wouldn't expect them to. I bet she has loads of customers, what happens if one morning you want a donut rather than a chocolate eclair ?

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:15:52

Like I said, I don't mind stating my order every time. It would be nice if they greeted me with "Good morning. The usual?" but it's not important.

But for her to ask if I want sausage or brown sauce when I repeat the exact same thing every day, and say "no, bacon/yes, a little brown sauce, please" every time, does strike me as odd.

DottyboutDots Fri 24-May-13 10:20:11

That's a heap of sugar everyday. How's your blood sugar level measuring?

jollyhappy Fri 24-May-13 10:20:21

My local greggs are great - they know my order and I don't go there every day.

I got to know them during my pregnancy where I would go a bit crazy and order 2 of everything... and they are the most lovely staff in the world. And when I was working for the worst boss in the world it was lovely speaking to some nice people before I had a day of dealing with someone awful.

Love getting my morning coffee from my local greggs.

Loved taking my new born into see them.

Love having a chat with them.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:23:30

I don't think a coffee with sugar and a pastry are a big deal, especially as I have it with fat and protein and then do several hours of physical labour.

jollygoose Fri 24-May-13 10:29:18

many years ago working at a reception desk one regulr was an olympic yachtsman who was very up himself, I always pretended not to recognise him and made him spell out his name every time. A battle of wills which I really enjloyed.

Sparklypinknails Fri 24-May-13 10:29:32

*Like I said, I don't mind stating my order every time. It would be nice if they greeted me with "Good morning. The usual?" but it's not important.

But for her to ask if I want sausage or brown sauce when I repeat the exact same thing every day, and say "no, bacon/yes, a little brown sauce, please" every time, does strike me as odd.*

Several people who've worked in similar jobs have given you perfectly normal reasons as to why she still asks you everyday. Its really not that odd at all.

Sparklypinknails Fri 24-May-13 10:29:54

And bold fail as usual haha. When will I learn?!

FourLittleDudes Fri 24-May-13 10:31:55

I haven't Pepsi max, a twix and a double decker for breakfast every morning, its that better of worse than a greggs breakfast?

Belmo Fri 24-May-13 10:36:30

I worked in Greggs for ages. We'd get about 300 customers in for breakfast every morning, all ordering slight variations of the same thing, and most did get the same thing everyday. I used to remember all the regulars orders, but that would be the ones who'd been coming for a few months. I'd still check though - people change their orders, plus once you've put something on the till it's a bit of a pain to change it.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 24-May-13 10:37:30

I've worked in similar jobs. I would have been chewed out (by some customers, certainly not all) for similar.

I don't think it's a big deal at all. She's nice enough, and if her memory isn't great, that's ok, because everybody deserves to make a living. She does her job well enough.

I just think it's funny that she does this every day.

Sparklypinknails Fri 24-May-13 10:40:49

Its a lose lose situation sometimes for customer service staff I think. You would have been told off by customers for not remembering their orders, I would have been told off by my boss for daring to remember customers' orders and not ask the little details every time. Everyone who is assuming she has a bad memory etc is kind of annoying me a bit because I bet that's what my regulars thought about me when I was just browbeaten into asking every thing every time like a robot. So glad I don't work there anymore anyway smile

Belmo Fri 24-May-13 10:41:03

Ah see the sauce thing is not odd. She will serve a couple of hundred people every morning, most of whom will come in every day, most of whom will want red or brown sauce on their roll. I have a great memory, but I never remembered what sauce people took, until they'd been coming in for at least a year!

ThingummyBob Fri 24-May-13 10:41:17

She is either really dense or just doesn't like you Op.

Its easy to remember repeat orders after a while. Repetition is everything.

I haven't worked in my local for a few years now but I can still remember what everyone drinks in there blush

jollyhappy Fri 24-May-13 10:45:08

Belmo do people who work at Greggs eat Greggs food?

I'm interested. What did you have for lunch for example?

What was your fav food from Greggs?

GladbagsGold Fri 24-May-13 10:46:01

Have you ever parked in a P&C space without a child? Laughed at a bunting display? Read the Daily Mail? Downed a Fruit Shoot in one? I think she has seen you commit one of these terrible crimes and this is her revenge.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now