To spend our money on a new bicycle

(120 Posts)
BJunction Thu 16-May-13 20:43:14

Hello all,

I wanted to get the "female" perspective on this...

My wife is due in a few months and we're putting all my recent bonus money and savings towards the required purchases. The issue is there is a lovely bike that I've been eyeing up to compliment my existing stable of bikes. The bike cost is about 40%-50% of the money we have but I'm sure we can get by on what's left. There's easily enough for a good cot and the rest of the stuff we'll need.

I've even made a spreadsheet covering the spend so it's clear we can do it but the wife is insistent that we spend all the money on the new born... who won't even remember this stage of his life.

am I being unreasonable for wanting this great bike whilst making sure there's enough left to cover the cost of the incoming baby?

FredFredGeorge Thu 16-May-13 22:32:47

How secure is your income, how easily will you be able to build the savings up again, will you get more bonuses...

But, whilst 2 and 6 months is ludicrous times for you to retake up your hobby both my wife and I returned to our hobbies pretty much immediately after birth, having both time to ourselves, and more importantly time for the baby and other parent to be alone together, certainly not 2 years, and I'm pretty surprised by anyone who calls themselves "Keen" actually gives something up for 2 years. There will likely be less time for you to cycle and your performance will go down, so why bother with the new bike?

Babies are not that expensive unless you choose them to be, but they do have a cost, and it does make you more nervous about lack of buffers in times of need, hence the questions about your income / future bonuses.

But no, you are not being completely unreasonable to consider spending money on your hobby, but it depends on what's lost by doing that.

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 22:43:42

Are you my DH in disguise who has recently bamboozled me into believing that actually buying a second hand sports car is in fact a great economy which is saving our household money rather than frittering it awayconfused.

Look in some respects YANBU. We spent loads on a special cot with a dropside (which we never used), a super duper pram that was replaced within 6 months by a second hand buggy as more light weight and there were various other bits and bobs that I thought were essential and turned out not to be.

But this is really not the time to be adding to your "stable" of bikes. You have more than one already, presumably unless you are superhuman you can only cycle one at a time.

Your wife's life has changed immeasurably already, she is carrying your child inside her. Taking money that you have both saved in good faith for your baby and spending it on your grown man toy is selfish. Plus you are kind of giving the message that 50% of the money is yours and 50% is for the baby. Where do luxuries for your wife come into it - what treat does she get other than necessities for the baby?

badguider Thu 16-May-13 22:48:43

My DH and I are both cyclists and have more than one bike each. But this is not the time to buy a new one. Really.
If the money is still there on your LOs first birthday and you are still cycling enough to warrant it then maybe consider/discuss it then but for now you'd be FAR more sensible to spend half on the newborn and save half for unexpected expenses.

ChairmanWow Thu 16-May-13 23:01:21

As a fellow cyclist I'm really tempted to say YANBU, we don't need to spend mega bucks on babies as long as they have somewhere to sleep, wear and a means of transport, but as a mum of a toddler and young baby I have to say it's unlikely you're going to get tonnes of use out of the new bike. Wait until the dust has settled with your family and you can commit some time to cycling again. There may have been a newer model of your desired bike by this point anyway. Why buy something that will gather dust for a while?

PatPig Thu 16-May-13 23:51:58

It depends. If the bike is £1k and you have a household income of £2k/mth, Yabu. If your household income is £10k/mth, Yanbu.

If you are planning on spending thousands on expensive pushchairs and nursery furniture, then that's probably something for you both to reconsider, unless you can afford bikes and middle class nursery accessories, in which case you can both posses your collective incomes up the wall and sod the future.

NatashaBee Fri 17-May-13 00:06:59

How would you feel if your wife wanted to spend the same amount of money on a new pair of shoes to add to her closet full of them?

I'm sure you can sell some of your 'stable' to fund the new addition, although I don't know quite when you think you'll get to ride it for the foreseeable future.

You don't need a female perspective. You have one of those, your wife's. You need a selfish twunt's perspective. Why do you get to spend half of the saving on you and half on the baby while your wife should... be grateful she is allowed to carry your baby?

PatPig Fri 17-May-13 01:04:21

it depends what they are buying for the baby tbh. A lot of stuff 'for the baby' is for the benefit of the parents.

StuntGirl Fri 17-May-13 01:07:52

Well obviously this is a vastly unreasonable attitude, but you knew that when you posted didn't you?

BJunction Fri 17-May-13 07:24:16

Get rid of a bicycle?! That would be like removing a teddy bear from a child's collection of teddy bears, one that they don't play with as much anymore and it's ear may have fallen off but they still love it.

I've just put a deposit down on a an awesome Specialized S-Works Venge onlinegrin

I get I may get in trouble based on the comments made so far. My thinking is that we can easily make this work, my spreadsheet details all the stuff we should need so am pretty sure we'll be okay.

wonderingsoul Fri 17-May-13 07:28:46

i think you are being increadably selfish indeed.

BikeRunSki Fri 17-May-13 07:29:15

Thing is, if you were going to go and get the bike anyway, why did you even start this thread? The S Works is a nice bike though.

BikeRunSki Fri 17-May-13 07:30:43

<counts self v lucky that DH is happy to sell bikes and but second hand>

tumbletumble Fri 17-May-13 07:33:47

This is either a joke or you are a truly selfish man

TeWiSavesTheDay Fri 17-May-13 07:34:26

Wow, you are a complete twat and I hope your partner sees the light.

lljkk Fri 17-May-13 07:37:11

That's an £8.5k bike at RRP. shock If your wife was planning to spend £17k on "new stuff for the baby" then I may be in the yanbu camp after all. Then again, if you need some of the original £17k total for things like your mortgage or a car bigger than your present Smart car then YABVU.

Please tell me you aren't buy the Venge on credit?!

We are a bikey family. DH just got a £4k bike as a leaving present from his company (Ridley Noah). It lives indoors because we don't trust security in the garage. That brings our stable population up to about 18. 5 of which are basically DH's bikes alone. (Please tell me you have an extra secure place to store that Venge). Are you paying the full £8.5k?

And even I am feeling rather hmm at OP! Are you sure you didn't want to ask this on BikeRadar instead? Or is this all a windup?

SecondRow Fri 17-May-13 07:42:01

Has your wife had input into your spreadsheet and how much discretionary spending for her hobbies/desires up until the end of maternity leave does it include?

lljkk Fri 17-May-13 07:45:56

And what are you going to use the Venge for?
The Noah is for fun rides & long-distance TTing. No commuting at present, but maybe that in future, too.

enormouse Fri 17-May-13 07:50:56

I think you might end up losing that deposit tbh when your wife realises you've done it. What was the point of canvassing opinion if you had already decided that you were going to buy a ridiculously expensive bit of kit?

Fwiw it's worth my DP wanted a new ps3 for when our DS came. He decided to wait till after he was born and realised he has no time. Not to mention, his bike is sitting forlornly is our dining room (has been for almost 2 years). I use it to dry clothes on when it's raining.

In terms of things that are actually useful and slightly awesome we bought a three wheeled rough terrain buggy 2nd hand as we live in the countryside and walk a lot. DP chose it (and was extremely excited about it) and gets way more use out of it than his bike or than he would out of a ps3.

Mondrian Fri 17-May-13 07:51:08

I know you asked for a female opinion but how about a male, cyclist with a stable of bikes. As everyone has already said now is not the time even if you could easily afford it as you will be sending a the wrong signals to your DW which I am sure is unintentional .... It's her time and the new babies time, in other words she needs to know that you will also be able to make sacrifices (as she already is) and that you are not going to shoot off on a different selfish tangent.

To ease the pain of you apparent loss let me remind you how bicycle sales work. When you see 50% off it either means its coming from a mass marketed brand who have changed colour or something which is not a problem coz they do that 3/4 times a year or its from a faulty batch with high warranty replacements or its an old model from a reputable brand .... These things are always out there and can be had if you really want them in future.

enormouse Fri 17-May-13 07:53:46

Oh and if you were my DP and had the audacity to present me with a spreadsheet, I would make you eat the sodding thing.

hormones
smile

noblegiraffe Fri 17-May-13 07:55:46

Bloody hell my car cost less than that, and that was a big purchase!

GoofyIsACow Fri 17-May-13 08:01:36

BUT... HE HAS DONE A SPREADSHEET PEOPLE... SO IT MUST BE OK hmm

edwardsmum11 Fri 17-May-13 08:08:12

Yabu, just wondering if you have multible bums to go on your bikes...

noblegiraffe Fri 17-May-13 08:18:45

I hope the spreadsheet doesn't have a 'finance on new bike' column then Lidl nappies, charity shop clothes, no formula (DW can breastfeed), DW going back to work early, DH doing hours of overtime etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now