Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask if you know of any 'urban myths' that are actually true?

(291 Posts)
manicinsomniac Brazil Sun 12-May-13 17:27:53

a colleague told me the other day that her husband had been to school with a brother and sister called Everard and Ophelia Dick. I was very dismissive, told her I'd heard that story several times before, that it was an urban myth and possibly on snopes.com.

Luckily I stopped short of saying that the story probably had racist undertones.

But I've just googled them and they're well documented in the same town that her husband is from. So the chances are he's right. I'm very blush and will have to tell her so in the morning.

I get so used to these name tales being false and offensive that I didn't think there was any way it was going to be true.

Does anybody know if any of the others are true?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Sun 12-May-13 17:29:48

How are those names racist? confused

Neo That's what I was thinking

HollyBerryBush Sun 12-May-13 17:31:59

The only Everard I know of was Larry Graysons friend he used to refer to in stand up.

SilvercloudRainbow Sun 12-May-13 17:32:25

My school janitor was called Willie Dick. He lived up to his name by being a complete knob. He tried to call himself "Bill" but everyone called him Willie. A Maths teacher let us know this by saying that his first name was a synonym of his surname.

VBisme Sun 12-May-13 17:33:47

Really? I don't believe it (and I've googled blush)

Euphemia France Sun 12-May-13 17:34:41

The leader of our local council is Richard Stiff.

SilvercloudRainbow Sun 12-May-13 17:35:40

...and my ex shared a flat with a guy called Richard Head, no kidding.

I work with a Willy Cox.

Actually I lie, he goes by Bill, but he's still William Cox!

Otherwise, no. Then they wouldn't be myths! Just gossip smile

Our maths tutors son is called Richard Head.

I know a first name bob second schrunkle.

TheseFoolishThings Sun 12-May-13 17:40:47

Oh please educate us - how on earth is any part of this 'story' (for want of a better word) racist? This I have to hear..........

Saidar Sun 12-May-13 17:40:57

Went to school with a Ben Dover. I imagine his parents thought we would all refer to him as Benjamin, that being his first name and all, alas no.

thebody Sun 12-May-13 17:42:19

I heard of an Annette who married a Mr Curtain.

Euphemia France Sun 12-May-13 17:42:58

Ben Dover - fuck off! grin

Some parents ...! <shakes head>

manicinsomniac Brazil Sun 12-May-13 17:44:24

I think a lot of these name stories are racist (or nation-ist maybe) because they rely on parents not having the knowledge of English to know that the names sounded ridiculous in English or aren't really names (eg L-a, Female, Chlamydia, Testicalus Bolliakus, Fanny Chu etc). Maybe that's not racist. But it's something I've picked up on mn and I've been very cautious about mocking names because of it ever since (I laughed hysterically the first time I heard all these myths and was very ashamed when I found out the racist origins).

DuchessFanny Sun 12-May-13 17:44:24

I'm glad I'm not the only one confused by the racist undertones !

My stepdad went to schools with Ivor Blackhead ! Still makes me smile !

HintofBream Sun 12-May-13 17:44:40

The current head of City College, Norwich, is called Dick Palmer. And from all accounts he is a bit of a one.

LST Sun 12-May-13 17:45:23

I went to school with a jon paul mycock and his sister holly rose mycock.

no word of a lie!

Saidar Sun 12-May-13 17:45:24

I swear on my life Euphemia. Ben fucking Dover.

There's a whole family of Dicks in the town I live in. I do not get the racist element?

HollyBerryBush Sun 12-May-13 17:47:46

These are just one step up from the old knock knock jokes:

knock knock
Who's there
Theresa
Theresa who?
Theresa Green

There is nothing racist about them, they are puns on words:

EuroShaggleton Sun 12-May-13 17:50:02

I've worked with a Richard Smellie.

And as a teenager I knew two boys who were friends - Mr Wright and Mr Perfect. I used to chuckle to myself when I sat between them on the bus!

Loulybelle Sun 12-May-13 17:56:08

My friend went to school with someone called Ethan Wan King.

EffieTheDuck Sun 12-May-13 18:00:17

I knew a nurse who named her dd Candida.

Another one here who met a Richard Head. (Wonder if it is the same man)

theodorakisses Sun 12-May-13 18:01:32

My husband who is a head of an overseas school has had a pupil called lawnmower and one called gaylord. Didn't matter a jot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now