to buy DS an under 3 admission ticket for the zoo on his 3rd birthday

(144 Posts)
ChazDingle Fri 10-May-13 22:16:04

Going twycross for DS 3rd birthday next week.

under 3's are £1
3-16 is £10.45 so its a big jump

don't suppose he could then wear a badge saying 'i am 3'

whenitrainsitpours Sun 12-May-13 20:59:39

I say do it! Save yourself some money and you can spend it on something else. My dcs are quiet small built and my dd who is very small frame as passed for free on our city bus for ages. She is now 6 turning 7 in a month and still travels for free. Bus driver never asked how old she was. I think when 5 they have to start paying. No shame no gain! No I will start paying soon but dont see the point when you can get away with it! Everything cost so much already! Enjoy your day!

YNK Sun 12-May-13 20:23:09

I took my kids out for a meal on the eve of DS's 18th (they were going out with their dad the following day.
When I asked if my DS wanted a pint my DD (12) said in a very loud voice " but he's not 18 until tomorrow!"

fuzzpig Sun 12-May-13 20:12:42

OP you should not have posted about where you are going. Somebody might phone Twycross and give them a tip-off! grin

We went to a wedding on DD's 5th birthday, I told the ticket guy at the cashier she was 5 today, and he said "oh, she's 5 tomorrow you say? smile"... I repeated thinking he had misheard. Took several minutes and a withering look before I realised he was giving me a cheaper fare! blush Felt paranoid though.

miffybun73 Sun 12-May-13 19:52:27

Of course YANBU, but I couldn't do it.

I'd want to share that it was his birthday and would just feel deceitful, my blushing would probably give it away too.

I think that I'm just too much of a goody goody smile

hwjm1945 Sun 12-May-13 19:50:53

Probably fraud,poss fraudulent misrepresentation.Doubt anyone will sue you. Just pay......

JustinBiebermakesmevom Sun 12-May-13 19:45:11

I like that comment....I'm the most honest liar you'll ever come across grin

IrritatingInfinity Sun 12-May-13 19:43:33

JustinBeiber

That's it, as long as you are clear what you are doing and don't pretend it is something it is not.

You should be honest about your dishonesty grin

JustinBiebermakesmevom Sun 12-May-13 19:13:14

Good point Irritating - I will happily lie and deceive if it means I can afford to buy DCs a toy in the gift shop...my conscience is clear.

IrritatingInfinity Sun 12-May-13 19:01:24

Do it if you want to but don't try to justify it as being OK because of X, Y or Z. 'Own' your decision grin

You are depriving the company of income which is wrong.

Is it technically stealing though? Do any lawyers know the answer?
Maybe it is just trespass.......? hmm

BTW I am not saying I behave perfectly but if I do something wrong I don't try to justify it IYSWIM.

JustinBiebermakesmevom Sun 12-May-13 18:49:09

MrRected and Llanbol - you're going to be pretty lonely up in heaven ! grin

Do it! Do it! Do it! (And remember to post a link of your mug shot so we recognise you on Crimewatch when you've turned into a master criminal)

TooMuchRain - See where you're coming from but I have been in the position of going to fun parks etc with the kids and having an exact budget of £40 given to me by the grandparents. If I had paid the correct entry fee for myself (which I did) DH (which I did) and DS (which I didn't) and then bought lunch then neither DS or DD would have been able to get a pressie from the shop.....So it's not as simple as you've made it sound.

TooMuchRain Sun 12-May-13 18:29:23

I'm not sure the not paying and justifying it by spending in the gift shop, or overpriced food & drinks, holds water. Surely if you have the money to do that, paying the correct entrance fee wouldn't be a problem?

Exactly what I was thinking

Also legally you turn an age at midnight (that is 00:00.01) on the anniversary of the day of your birth. So this "he is two until bedtime stuff is pretty weak grin wink

HoneyDragon Sun 12-May-13 12:52:45

Dunno. If the Handbag is going to be reduced by a third the next day....

madammoose Sun 12-May-13 12:45:58

I like the pay your age idea up to maybe 12.

I'm not sure the not paying and justifying it by spending in the gift shop, or overpriced food & drinks, holds water. Surely if you have the money to do that, paying the correct entrance fee wouldn't be a problem?

ILikeBirds Sun 12-May-13 12:06:13

A national trust lady was once trying to sell us a year long membership and was quoting the under 25s prices. I replied I'd certainly join at that price but unfortunately I was 28 and my OH was 33. She told me I should just lie about my age as they have no procedure for checking age before selling a membership!

mrsjay Sun 12-May-13 11:59:30

DD is 16 and I resent paying full fare on the bus because she is still at school.

off topic but dd had a transport card when she was still at school at 16 they pay a 3rd which is better i suppose,

insancerre Sun 12-May-13 11:57:52

YANBU
Do it for as long as you can get away with it.
DD is 16 and I resent paying full fare on the bus because she is still at school.

mrsjay Sun 12-May-13 11:52:26

exactly McNew its not as if they are all jumping over the fence or anything,

McNewPants2013 Sun 12-May-13 11:50:22

Isn't it better they are going.

I mean if its the difference of not going, then the zoo will lose out on £60+

K8Middleton Sun 12-May-13 11:38:48

Yanbu. It is a ridiculous mark up. Take him for a pound with impunity grin

mrsjay Sun 12-May-13 11:37:55

Alton towers used to do it by height for the rides (I think)

mrsjay Sun 12-May-13 11:37:20

Thankfully not that big as an adult but to my small DC it was huge lol

grin

oh and the handbag senario not many 3 year olds like a handbag do they, it isn't the same thing ,

Sirzy Sun 12-May-13 11:34:32

I don't mind the pay by height, DS is 3.5 and won't be over 1m for ages. My nephew on the other hand was over a meter by the time he was 2 so such systems really annoy my sister (and understandably)

The only time pay by height is fair is if they have a lot of rides which children under that height wont be able to use

Graceparkhill Sun 12-May-13 11:32:12

Years and years ago I was 11 and my dad took me to the pictures( an unheard of treat for my birthday). This was the one and only time- things were fairly frugal when I was growing up.

The cut off point for a child's ticket was under 11 and the cashier tried to sell my dad one but he insisted on paying full price and telling the cashier that it was my 11 th birthday.

Haven't thought of this for years. I am 54 now and dad has been dead for nearly 20 years but I fondly remember his pride in me and how pleased I was to be considered "grown up".

waikikamookau Sun 12-May-13 11:31:45

you would be mad to pay the full price on his actual birthday op imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now