Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To blame everyone else for not warning me?

(129 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Sun 07-Apr-13 22:26:15

Wtf. Why did no one warn me this can happen?

Today I was watching a friends little boy 18mo. I was changing his nappy which was a well spread, thoroughly glued monster poo.

I went through a lot of wipes and had to rub a fair amount to get poo off, especially round the creasy testicle area and once I'd got it all I pulled the final wipe away to discover his penis was standing up!

Surely that shouldn't be possible, he's just a baby?

Please mumsnet, please tell me this has happened to somebody else. Is it just something people don't talk about?

BlackeyedSusan England Sun 07-Apr-13 22:37:48

being a bloke, you would have thought that h knew that a stiff willy meant impending pee, he should also have heeded my warning to place something over the willy while cleaning the bottom of poo. after letting ds wee on himself, more than once, ds got revenge by peeing in his dads hair. still did not learn though.

flippinada Sun 07-Apr-13 22:39:23

Once again, I'm genuinely...well... surprised people are surprised by this.

I didn't imagine the OP was offended, I simply assumed this was something people who have babies or are around babies knew? I certainly remember reading about it in baby books.

HerrenaHarridan Sun 07-Apr-13 22:39:48

It was definitely not in any baby book I ever flicked through read

Someone was kind enough to warn me that breast fed girls can have blood spotting due to mothers hormones or that would have been an embarrassing trip to a and e!

My mum regularly reminds me about my toddler masturbation antics, there was a favourite teddy blush

CatsRule Sun 07-Apr-13 22:39:49

I didn't know about this either until dh told me it was just a reaction. I thought I'd done something wrong...it jist didn't seem right!

Oh and yes I usually get quickly pee'd on afterwards...the boy has perfect timing, like when I'm trying to get to work! grin

flippinada Sun 07-Apr-13 22:39:54

Yes, I remember the delights of the projectile wee smile

intheshed Sun 07-Apr-13 22:40:05

First I've heard of it and I have 2 DDs! Don't think I've ever changed a boys nappy in my life so why would I know? All I've heard is they can pee in your ear grin

freddiefrog Sun 07-Apr-13 22:40:20

You learn something new every day!

I wouldn't have a clue either. I have 2 girls, I've never changed a baby boy's nappy in my life. It's not something I've ever really thought about, or discussed with friends with boys either

skratta Sun 07-Apr-13 22:40:22

Yeah, I was shocked, I had three girls then DS...

I mean, I'd been warned about peeing in the eye. But, tbh, it was a bit shocking the first time I saw it, I commented on it vaguely to a friend and she mentioned about blood rushing to it after the nappy comes off, making it go like that.

After a while, I'd see it and dive for cover. The smell of wee in hair is like a very strong, very disgusting shampoo.

hiddenhome Sun 07-Apr-13 22:40:23

I used to wheel ds1 round in a supermarket trolley when he was a toddler and one day he announced in a very loud voice "Mummy, my willy's gone hard again"! blush

VerySmallSqueak Sun 07-Apr-13 22:40:45

The ins and outs of changing a boys nappy are a mystery to me also OP as I only have daughters.

I only learn things on a need to know basis.

YouTheCat Sun 07-Apr-13 22:41:24

That would depend though. My kids are 18 now and the baby books I read said nothing of any use about it.

Plus if your kids are older you soon forget the nappy stage.

Not changed a nappy in 15 years grin

AmandaPayneAteTooMuchChocolate Sun 07-Apr-13 22:42:26

Nope, never heard of it either. Have two girls. I'd have been a might surprised too.

amiwhatorhow Sun 07-Apr-13 22:42:40

If you didn't imagine anyone would be offended by it then why did you ask why someone would be offended by it?

I'm genuinely puzzled by that <tilts head>

YY to the baby girl mini period thing. We had that with DD1 and phoned the hospital in a panic.

EVEN THOUGH WE HAD BOUGHT AND READ A COPY OF WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING

<swoon>

kotinka Sun 07-Apr-13 22:42:46

flippinada if you read it in a baby book, I'm sure it'd be super helpful to many MN'ers to know which one as it sounds much more comprehensive than any I read.

I read about 30 baby books as I was totally terrified of what was to come blush not once have I seen this in a book. A midwife told me it was normal. (thankyou midwives, you are awesome!)

SatsukiKusukabe Sun 07-Apr-13 22:43:03

flinada before you had children you were were totally aware of the erection habits of toddlers confused I wasn't shocked because I was a Cm before my own kids but can't see why anyone else would know about it.

usually means a pee is on is way op.

No, it is normal, and slightly unnerving I admit to finding it a bit weird when DS was a teeny tiny infant: 'Wah! What the hell... oh, he's doing a wee...'

DS (now 8yo) said to me recently 'Mum, my penis is really small, but sometimes there's a muscle in it that make it look like a finger, see?' Hmmm, yep, DS, thanks for that. 'My willy is really small, like really small, but do you know who's got a BIG willy? DADDY! His willy is MASSIVE, mummy, have you seen it?' Ahah, yes...'No, but Mum, it's massive! It's huge! Don't you think his willy is massive, Mum?' Ooh-kay, DS, let's move on..'No, but Mum, Daddy has got a MASSIVE WILLY! And sometimes it's REALLY MASSIVE! I saw him in the shower and it was HUGE!'

The lock on our bathroom door doesn't work.

flippinada Sun 07-Apr-13 22:44:04

I'm not making a song and dance, ami, I just thought people knew this happened?

SundaysGirl Sun 07-Apr-13 22:44:21

Eh when I was in hospital after having my son and changing his nappy I called a nurse over to ask why that was happening.

She laughed her ass off at me, but I had no idea baby boys got erections blush

SatsukiKusukabe Sun 07-Apr-13 22:45:50

wink stealth boast sad

flippinada Sun 07-Apr-13 22:46:13

I can't remember kotinka it was a long time ago. A Miriam Stopppard one, I think?

SatsukiKusukabe Sun 07-Apr-13 22:47:22

but why would you know if you haven't git a boy or haven't read a baby book for years? you only remember what's relevant to yiu

See, I wasn't bothered or surprised when I saw DS's for the first time. I just shrugged. Maybe I had read a book though grin

amiwhatorhow Sun 07-Apr-13 22:48:09

grin satsuki

flippinada Sun 07-Apr-13 22:48:45

Oh, X posts ami, so I did.

Herrena, I apologise if I caused you any offence.

ChairmanWow Sun 07-Apr-13 22:48:51

Nope, I didn't see it in any of our baby books either. My 2 y o gets morning glory every morning, and likes to have a bit of a grab at it. Doesn't bother me in the slightest now but it is something of a surprise when it first happens. Baby with a stiffy looks somewhat incongruous. One of the many joys of getting used to having a boy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now