...to wonder if this is the new sticks-in-vases/pebb ly shit craze?

(104 Posts)
RainbowRabbit33 Sun 17-Mar-13 19:42:11

I needed to do some deliveries this afternoon, and as the weather was quite nice, I decided to walk rather than take the car. As a result, I was able to take in my surroundings a little more carefully than usual.

Over the course of my approx. three mile walk, I swear I must have seen tens and tens of houses with hearts hanging up in windows, on doors and on gates. All made out of painted punched metal or wicker. They all seemed to be huge, maybe 30cm in diameter. Some of them were quite nice I suppose, but I couldn't help but wonder when I missed that particular memo.

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon, or is it just my very middle class suburb of a fairly dull town?

RainbowRabbit33 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:32:23

Oh, it seems I was a bit late to the party, guess that shows I walk round with my eyes closed most of the time!!

I have just realised that we have a red glass candle holder on our lounge window sill. I have never lit the candle, but it's just dawned on me that it would make a big red light. Maybe I should bin it and go and buy a wicker heart!

aftermay Sun 17-Mar-13 20:34:43

DDs have heart-shaped mirrors. Is it the heart shape or the wicker you object to? I've seen them in shops but not in people's houses. But then I don't go our much.

RainbowRabbit33 Sun 17-Mar-13 20:39:17

I don't really object to them, I was just surprised to see so many. I wouldn't buy them myself (although am apparently happy to risk people thinking I run a house of ill-repute), just can't see the point.

I have two white wicker hearts in my large front room window. And two red candle holders, the glass ones which hold a tea light)

Darn it, I am running a house of ill-repute aren't I??? shock

Eebahgum Sun 17-Mar-13 20:48:05

I LOVE heart shaped things and have a selection of wicker type hearts hanging on the wall of my hall way. None in windows yet though.

BookFairy Sun 17-Mar-13 20:48:36

I haven't seen any in shops or houses. The north west is very behind the times.

BarredfromhavingStella Sun 17-Mar-13 20:48:47

lol, i have a Moroccan lantern in my front landing window that I have to keep turning so that the red side isn't facing out-now wondering what the neighbours say about me...

fuckwittery Sun 17-Mar-13 20:50:56

I have one in my house, but I made it for my best friend's wedding - we all did, willow weaving was part of the weekend, and she used this one for the top table, so I love it. It is personalised as well with symbols that meant something to them.

fuckwittery Sun 17-Mar-13 20:51:30

anyway - I suspect the swingers needing to have a special sign outside their house is a bit outdated what with the internet nowadays.

fuckwittery Sun 17-Mar-13 20:52:01

*at the hen weekend should have been somewhere in that sentence.

SirChenjin Sun 17-Mar-13 20:52:17

I have 4 in my kitchen - 3 are slate and I got the kids to write their names on one each. Very nice they look too.

My house also has twigs in a vase and wallpaper feature walls. My house is ace.

fuckwittery Sun 17-Mar-13 20:52:19

not the swingers post, the one before <leaves thread>

I have countless heart-shaped knickknacks in my house and a wicker heart wreath on my front door. But I do not swing.

aldiwhore Sun 17-Mar-13 20:54:03

Just realised I've had a wicker heart hanging on my door for ages... I must be a trend setter. It was 50p, and I couldn't think of anywhere else to put it. I LIKE it, but if every bugger's doing it, it's coming down.

aldiwhore Sun 17-Mar-13 20:55:37

I have red fairy lights in the window too - yikes.

Oh well, callers will be disappointed.

Selks Sun 17-Mar-13 21:02:02

Yes, they are definitely the next 'twigs in vase'. Sorry all if you that have them, but 'tis true smile

aftermay Sun 17-Mar-13 21:08:06

I have red candles in the window too. I suppose I can change them now since Xmas is over.

Mandy2003 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:13:42

The interior decorator at work has put Pussy Willow in a vase grin

jird Sun 17-Mar-13 21:15:15

i am starting a new craze by just having net curtains in my window with a hint of half decomposing insects in webs

I bought a wicker wreathy thing and some plastic eggs to make an Easter decoration.
And it will go on the front door, much to DHs disgust.

It will look lovely with the Easter Tree that I'll be doing too

<<Folds arms and sticks nose in air>>

FakePlasticLobsters Sun 17-Mar-13 21:23:41

piratecat - you are me. It's official I also have 12 heart shaped pebbles collected by me DS on the beach.

We also have some kind of wicker circle thing that DS is decorating for easter. And some twigs in a vase. He collected them in the wood, we painted them silver and have hung easter decorations from them. They are temporary, but I'm getting quite fond of them.

My friend has just planted some pampas grass though. Who knew?

Buzzardbird Sun 17-Mar-13 21:24:19

No bookfairy, they are in the northwest. Anna bought one for chesney's engagement present! grin

BookFairy Sun 17-Mar-13 22:00:44

Coronation Street is more in the know about the latest must have item than me?! shock grin

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 17-Mar-13 22:05:26

In order of awfulness, stating with the most horrible:

Big letters
Twigs and pebbly shit
Hearts

But the thing that stopped me in my tracks and made me laugh so much I had to cross my legs and clench in the garden centre today was....

a quarter scale cow - for £270 shock

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 17-Mar-13 22:06:08

Starting!

(need an edit button)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now