Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to want to buy this house for the dividing doors in the reception room alone?

(185 Posts)
FlouncingMintyy Wed 27-Feb-13 23:01:16
lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Mar-13 12:21:30

The UK doesn't have "ghettos"

Ooh, American compatriot was very confused by the East LA riots in '92: "How can that be a slum?! They have palm trees!"

Believe me, you live there, you know it's a slum.

redplasticspoon Fri 01-Mar-13 23:18:19

A similar property to the one posted in the OP in a fashionable London area
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37034581.html

The difference in price is quite stark!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Fri 01-Mar-13 16:25:13

Dear heavens that Dulwich house is shocking. Even I think that's a feeble excuse for a garden, and for a million quid I'd want a bloody tube line.

WhatKindofFool Fri 01-Mar-13 16:02:17

I rather like the bathroom, esp the sink!

FetaCheeny Fri 01-Mar-13 15:58:23

Surely that 1.3 million property is an error? Please say it is. It says last previous sale 375k in 2005. How could it quadruple in value in 8 years?
I'm currently looking to buy in south east London - 1.3 mil is slightly(!) above our price range grin

Eurgh. The curtains - everywhere!

yuleheart Fri 01-Mar-13 14:48:47

...check out pic 13 for a bit of over the top footballer/wag decorating....

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26054061.html

yuleheart Fri 01-Mar-13 14:47:07
yuleheart Fri 01-Mar-13 14:46:25
Viviennemary Fri 01-Mar-13 12:02:59

I couldn't live in a bedroom with cupboards over my head. I'd always be scared they'd fall down in the night. One night there was an almighty crash and a shelf in DD's room fell down. (Not above her bed thank goodness). DH said she shouldn't have put books on it. hmm

DumSpiroSpero Fri 01-Mar-13 10:19:44

The £1.3million house is an abomination of feature walls and 'live, love, laugh' cushions.

But it's in Dulwich Village!

<drools>
<gives self a slap>

grin

In fact, that house could be the poster child for the what will seriously date your house to this very moment in 40 years time. It has just about everything listed on the thread.

FlouncingMintyy Fri 01-Mar-13 10:13:43

I noticed the de-humidifier, yes.

I'm always slightly worried when people coordinate their kitchen and bedroom units...

impecuniousmarmoset Fri 01-Mar-13 10:07:49

And is that a de-humidifier I see in picture 7?!

The £1.3million house is an abomination of feature walls and 'live, love, laugh' cushions.

impecuniousmarmoset Fri 01-Mar-13 10:05:34

1.3M for a 3-bed semi!!!!!! That's beyond insane. I know location is important but crikey. Can't imagine anyone with any amount of money would want to buy that house for 1.3M - I wouldn't, even if I was a billionaire!

mrsjay Fri 01-Mar-13 10:03:31

See, the thing is, for many of us non-Londoners. £400k for a 4 bed end terrace doesn't sound cheap at all, even in a sought after area.

^ ^ that would get you a bloody mansion where I live grin

FlouncingMintyy Fri 01-Mar-13 10:01:17

I know. Its nuts.

See, the thing is, for many of us non-Londoners. £400k for a 4 bed end terrace doesn't sound cheap at all, even in a sought after area.

I used to live maybe a mile away. Had our bikes nicked from our garden shed in 8.5 years and that was it in all that time. I did a lot of walking in the local area and know most parts within 5 miles of my old house extremely well. Never felt unsafe particularly in that particular part of Plumstead - it's not near Woolwich or the high street. I'm hardly a hardened Londoner - I grew up in a ridiculously middle class village in Cornwall so believe me if anyone was going to feel unsafe there it would be me. Wouldn't want to live there but that's because of the hill!

Those statistics linked to are for the whole of Greenwich borough not just Plumstead. Greenwich borough contains several deprived areas, including some not far from that house but like most parts of London, you don't have to go far to see a total contrast in areas. Greenwich borough has crime stats no worse than any other London borough with obvious exceptions.

I don't like the doors, they're too ornate, look like they'd get scribbled on easily and are a bit of a faff frankly wink

FlouncingMintyy Fri 01-Mar-13 09:52:16

For non-Londoners, I just wanted to say that there are some lovely places in South London smile. Its just that the prices tend to be a little ott.

I am going out to lunch today with an old friend who is terribly successful by anyone's standards. He lives just round the corner from that Plumstead house in Shooter's Hill.

Goodness, those dividing doors did cause a lot of division!

Also, there are celts in England. Cornwall is a Celtic nation with it's own language and such like. (As is Brittany in France).

Maryz: there isn't a single definition of nation (unlike state, which would require it's own independent government that is recognised as legitimate by other states). It's mostly about people identifying as belonging to a particular nation. So Scotland and Wales are nations because people think of their national identity as Scottish or welsh. But (warning: massive generalisation coming) people in Northern Ireland haven't generally thought of themselves as Northern Irish specifically (historically people have tended to identify as British or Irish). Maybe the changes in the last decade or so mean that people do feel more Northern Irish as a distinctive national identy. I don't know. I'm sure some of the many northern Irish MNers could tell us.

Incidentally, I really don't like the house or the doors. The doors look like they're in the wrong house entirely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now