To think people should not be shopping with children

(88 Posts)
Domjolly Sun 24-Feb-13 17:23:21

Went to 24 hour tesco on friday night it was about 1:30am and i was shocked how many people were doing a full shop with kids in tow

Not getting bit and bobs in aemegancey they had a full trolly full and the kids were ranging from about 4-11 and it was a few seprate familes

There is so circumstance i can think of were your children need to be up at 1:30am doing a full shop with you

these were not small bairs these were school age children shock

I totally understand the frazzled mum in a onsie grabbing some calpol after a bad night of high fever

But under what other senero should a child be up at 1:30 period let alone doung a weekly shop confused

No wonder teachers have a time of it with kids to blinking tired to work

aufaniae Mon 25-Feb-13 11:19:30

"Go back this Friday & the one after to see if they are there again."

What's more dysfunctional, going to the supermarket with your DCs at 1:30am (possibly with good reason), or going to the supermarket at 1:30am to spy on people taking their DCs there so you can judge them?!

Seems clear to me! grin

PeazlyPops Mon 25-Feb-13 10:46:33

Just back from their holiday?

scaredbutexcited Mon 25-Feb-13 10:42:30

Unless it impacted you directly, I'm not sure that it affects you really. There are reasons why I think this would happen:
- Just back from Hols
- Can't sleep, go shopping to tire them out and then all lie in the next morning etc
In any case, Friday night so no impact on school.

Perhaps not a perfect scenario but then are you always perfect? (I know I'm not!) smile

aufaniae Mon 25-Feb-13 10:40:17

OP, YABU. You have no idea why those people are there at that time.

I've been in supermarkets with DS (4yo) at ridiculous-O'clock, when we've been on long car journeys (e.g. South England to Scotland to visit the ILs).

DS sleeps when we're travelling at speed in a car, so if you see him awake in the supermarket at a silly hour, you can't tell by looking, but the chances are he'll have spent most of the day asleep and is in desperate need of a bit of exercise!

He's not at school yet but big for his age, so people usually assume he is. I imagine the small minded among them do judge.

I haven't done a full shop on the way back home from Scotland, but if DP wasn't knackered from the drive it might make sense to us to do. Might do it next time in fact grin

Catchingmockingbirds Mon 25-Feb-13 10:38:56

It is pretty strange, especially as it wasn't just one family you seen out with children at that time. My son has AS and can have issues with his sleep, but I still couldn't imagine taking him on the weekly shop at that time.

"What I don't get is the "supermarket shopping is grim" thing. It is?"

Not if you go at 1am grin

HorribleMother Mon 25-Feb-13 10:27:46

Go back this Friday & the one after to see if they are there again.

Tee2072 Mon 25-Feb-13 06:59:56

What I don't get is the "supermarket shopping is grim" thing. It is?

I would totally judge those parents though. I like judging: it, along with jumping to conclusions, is often the only exercise I get.

Learningtoread101 Sun 24-Feb-13 23:26:43

I'm with you OP. haven't read all the answers but I cannot believe people are meh about this! So what if it's not a school night? Bodyclocks will be screwed up. I get a bit upset if I see children out past 9pm.....

wiltingfast Sun 24-Feb-13 22:43:17

Sounds completely barmy to me. Can't think of any circumstance where I would do it. Even if you were just back from holidays would you not take kids home first and then one go back out to do a shop (if it's that bloody important)?

Barmy.

midastouch Sun 24-Feb-13 22:05:38

I dont think i could keep either of my DC awake to go shopping that time of the morning! At least it wasnt a school night i suppose

Nombrechanger Sun 24-Feb-13 21:26:57

I agree completely with you, OP.

It's cruel to drag a child out at that time of night.

littlemrssleepy Sun 24-Feb-13 21:20:02

A friend got some terrible looks when she took her little ones to the supermarket at 2am. They had just flown in from Oz and were all jet lagged smile.

BlahBlahBlahhh Sun 24-Feb-13 21:14:54

YANBU, no doubt there are odd situations where this may be acceptable...a baby that won't sleep, returning from a holiday, an emergency (doubtful if it necessitates a whole trolly load) but school holidays or not, it's bad parenting in any other circumstance in my opinion. I work nights and often see people out and about with little ones, late in the evening in the cold. They should be tucked up in bed, poor little mites.

JockTamsonsBairns Sun 24-Feb-13 20:37:01

I can't understand this at all - where is all this happening, OP?

I've been a shift worker for 20 odd years, and have been doing my weekly shop in the middle of the night for over a decade, and I have never seen as much as one child in the supermarket at that time, ever. In that time I've lived in Glasgow, the North of England and now the South East, and I've just never seen such a thing.

All very strange.

tigerdriverII Sun 24-Feb-13 20:28:37

The thing I don't get is two parents plus kids, where everyone is bad tempered, as supermarket shopping is grim for everyone. I know there are times/circumstances when everyone needs to go to the shop but why doesn't one parent stay at home with the kids. Probably have read too many relationships threads but I sometimes think that someone is being controlling in those scenarios.

BambieO Sun 24-Feb-13 20:17:11

But how do we 'know' if it's a one off or not? Unless OP sees them every week we can't just presume can we? Give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they have all been off on exciting holidays while I have been stuck home counting snowflakes

TartyMcTart Sun 24-Feb-13 19:50:57

Oh come on, yes there are the odd exceptions but I can guarantee that if I saw families in our local Tesco at 1.30am they wouldn't be jet lagged or popping in for emergency goods. The way you hear them screaming at their kids during the day whilst wearing their dressing gowns makes that quite obvious.

I judge a lot so flame me.

MamaBear17 Sun 24-Feb-13 19:40:17

I'm a judgy pants over people dragging their kids around supermarkets late a night too. I just think they should be in bed. A one off is fair enough, exceptional circumstances are fair enough. However, I hate seeing people screaming at tired, tantruming toddlers because they are dragging them around the supermarket when they should be in bed.

everydayaschoolday Sun 24-Feb-13 19:39:01

OP YANBU

McNewPants2013 Sun 24-Feb-13 19:24:03

I wouldn't dream of taking DC out that time now, but any age before dd was born me and ds used to go shopping at crazy o'clock he was awake so I got shopping done in peace.

He still only sleeps around 4 hours and I have gotten used to never sleeping its only DD that stops us going now ( she loves her sleep)

grin not in my case.

Although taking 4 over excited pre-teens, who were very giggly and on a sugar high from all the rubbish they'd eaten, out at silly o'clock wasn't perhaps the brightest idea I ever had grin

Pagwatch Sun 24-Feb-13 19:18:06

blush gawd - don't apologise.
I'm am being ponderous.
I am staring to wonder if it is Tesco - Gatwick branch.
grin

CremeEggScoffer Sun 24-Feb-13 19:17:27

a few weeks ago, I let my ds have a sleep in the afternoon, we got to 10pm and he wasn't remotely tired so I went to tesco and did my shopping, noone batted an eyelid, by the time I'd finished it was nearly 1130pm, so killed 2 birds with one stone, he crashed when we got in and I didn't have to drag him round the shops the next day win-win smile

don't judge until you know the circumstances

shushpenfold Sun 24-Feb-13 19:17:27

Have done this once with my 3....young at the time, but unfortunately all WIDE, WIDE, WIDE awake after a flight back from the USA....the time change had buggered up their body clocks.......

Don't see much of this sort of shabby parenting shenanigans in rural Dorset though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now