Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think people should not be shopping with children

(88 Posts)
Domjolly Sun 24-Feb-13 17:23:21

Went to 24 hour tesco on friday night it was about 1:30am and i was shocked how many people were doing a full shop with kids in tow

Not getting bit and bobs in aemegancey they had a full trolly full and the kids were ranging from about 4-11 and it was a few seprate familes

There is so circumstance i can think of were your children need to be up at 1:30am doing a full shop with you

these were not small bairs these were school age children shock

I totally understand the frazzled mum in a onsie grabbing some calpol after a bad night of high fever

But under what other senero should a child be up at 1:30 period let alone doung a weekly shop confused

No wonder teachers have a time of it with kids to blinking tired to work

littlemrssleepy Sun 24-Feb-13 21:20:02

A friend got some terrible looks when she took her little ones to the supermarket at 2am. They had just flown in from Oz and were all jet lagged smile.

Nombrechanger Sun 24-Feb-13 21:26:57

I agree completely with you, OP.

It's cruel to drag a child out at that time of night.

midastouch Sun 24-Feb-13 22:05:38

I dont think i could keep either of my DC awake to go shopping that time of the morning! At least it wasnt a school night i suppose

wiltingfast Sun 24-Feb-13 22:43:17

Sounds completely barmy to me. Can't think of any circumstance where I would do it. Even if you were just back from holidays would you not take kids home first and then one go back out to do a shop (if it's that bloody important)?

Barmy.

Learningtoread101 Sun 24-Feb-13 23:26:43

I'm with you OP. haven't read all the answers but I cannot believe people are meh about this! So what if it's not a school night? Bodyclocks will be screwed up. I get a bit upset if I see children out past 9pm.....

Tee2072 Mon 25-Feb-13 06:59:56

What I don't get is the "supermarket shopping is grim" thing. It is?

I would totally judge those parents though. I like judging: it, along with jumping to conclusions, is often the only exercise I get.

HorribleMother Mon 25-Feb-13 10:27:46

Go back this Friday & the one after to see if they are there again.

"What I don't get is the "supermarket shopping is grim" thing. It is?"

Not if you go at 1am grin

Catchingmockingbirds Mon 25-Feb-13 10:38:56

It is pretty strange, especially as it wasn't just one family you seen out with children at that time. My son has AS and can have issues with his sleep, but I still couldn't imagine taking him on the weekly shop at that time.

aufaniae Mon 25-Feb-13 10:40:17

OP, YABU. You have no idea why those people are there at that time.

I've been in supermarkets with DS (4yo) at ridiculous-O'clock, when we've been on long car journeys (e.g. South England to Scotland to visit the ILs).

DS sleeps when we're travelling at speed in a car, so if you see him awake in the supermarket at a silly hour, you can't tell by looking, but the chances are he'll have spent most of the day asleep and is in desperate need of a bit of exercise!

He's not at school yet but big for his age, so people usually assume he is. I imagine the small minded among them do judge.

I haven't done a full shop on the way back home from Scotland, but if DP wasn't knackered from the drive it might make sense to us to do. Might do it next time in fact grin

scaredbutexcited Mon 25-Feb-13 10:42:30

Unless it impacted you directly, I'm not sure that it affects you really. There are reasons why I think this would happen:
- Just back from Hols
- Can't sleep, go shopping to tire them out and then all lie in the next morning etc
In any case, Friday night so no impact on school.

Perhaps not a perfect scenario but then are you always perfect? (I know I'm not!) smile

PeazlyPops Mon 25-Feb-13 10:46:33

Just back from their holiday?

aufaniae Mon 25-Feb-13 11:19:30

"Go back this Friday & the one after to see if they are there again."

What's more dysfunctional, going to the supermarket with your DCs at 1:30am (possibly with good reason), or going to the supermarket at 1:30am to spy on people taking their DCs there so you can judge them?!

Seems clear to me! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now