To think this bra doesn't fit?

(465 Posts)
StuntNun Sat 23-Feb-13 18:30:35

I went to John Lewis for a bra fitting last week as I have changed size post-pregnancy. The sales assistant sized me as a 34G which I was surprised at because I have been wearing a 36 on the second set of hooks so I'm not convinced a 34 would do up. Anyway she brought me three size 36F bras to try on as they didn't have any in 34G. I bought one because I really needed a new bra but I feel a bit squished in it - my boobs are pushed together at the front.

AIBU to think this bra doesn't fit and I should just order in size 36G from the Internet?

incognito, how did you measure that overbust? on those measurements alone a G sounds big but it is very easy to underestimate the overbust as it's really best to measure it bare busted and leaning right over so that all the breast tissue gets included. A 38 back sounds right tough.

cjbk1 Sat 23-Feb-13 19:36:47

<we are six> and others I just must post; I almost cried in M&S too i think she tried to give me an awful a-cup bra so i just left it and since that day iv been eyeing teen bras in the end I bought a nasty 2 pack in john Lewis so do we think they were wrong? (as I said in the 'small boobs' thread I'm BF'ing dc3 atm but just dreading after I stop hmm) I even refused the offer of being measured in debenhams because of the threat of "ordering in AA-cups blush
sorry for thread hijack x

cjbk1, could you bear to measure yourself using the guide I put near the top of the thread? I would put money on you not being an A-cup in reality.

to be an A cup there would only be 1 inch difference between your under bust and over bust measurements which is highly unlikely. Your bra size is probably bigger than you expect.

manticlimactic Sat 23-Feb-13 19:44:12

I was wearing a 38E then went and got a fitting. I was a 34FF/G depending on style. I did try loads of bras on to get a comfy fit. DD was wearing a 34B and she went to a 28F. She was horrified but agrees that bra fits her well.

manticlimactic Sat 23-Feb-13 19:45:13

Oh and M&S are shite at measuring.Last time I got measured there she measured me over my jumper.

Squeakygate Sat 23-Feb-13 19:52:22

I was amazed the difference a well fitted bra makes. I actually have a bust!

Catbag Sat 23-Feb-13 19:54:41

I am usuless at working out what size bra to take. I have had six children and so have spent a bit of time going up and down. I usually just up the back size and the cup if I need more room. I never got my head around adding four or five inches etc to get correct size blush I suspect that the 38F bras that I am wearing are waaaay off, given your experiences.

Just to clarify, I should measure back, and then lean over to measure boobs? Is that right?

Yup, measure your back FIRMLY in inches. Then, whip bra off, lean forward so breasts are hanging straight down, and measure around the fullest/lowest part of your breasts. This measurements shouldn't be pulled tight

ouryve Sat 23-Feb-13 20:02:52

I perused the M&S bras, this morning. Nothing smaller than a 32 back and not much over a DD, even in the massive Metrocentre store. And rack after rack of padded bras. I understand if you want to avoid visible nipplage - like I did when I was pregnant, but not good for day to day.

And they were offering £5 vouchers if you got measured and then spent £30 on bras. I wonder if that has to be in the size they decided you were? grin

Catbag Sat 23-Feb-13 20:04:40

I shall do this tomorrow when not stuck under babies as I am now. Genuinely intrigued...

cjbk1 Sat 23-Feb-13 20:58:24

ok iv braved the tape measure I got 31" under bust and 36/37" across boobs as advised but I am BF'ing a 5mo...

OK cjbk1...I have news. You are not an A cup. You are not a b cup.

You need to try a few sizes because your measurements aren't definite. My best guess would be a 30E/F, but I would also try a 32D/DD/E

I agree, you are far far bigger than an A cup! M&S and some other places dont measure correctly as they add inches to the under bust measurement which makes the cup size smaller than it should be. What you want is a well fitting band and proper sized cups.

cjbk1 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:13:57

aww thank-you statistically (the bold and italics don't work anymore do they?) I was waiting for you to come back on! that does make me feel a lot better x

cjbk1 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:14:41

*now they do blush

I'm confused as after reading some threads on here and measuring myself I thought I must be in the wrong size bra (was wearing a 32FF). I measure 28 inches underbust and 39 overbust. I went to bravissimo and was told my bra fitted perfectly and my size was 32FF so it seems for me I do need to add four inches? Very confusing. I did have my bra on the tightest hook at the fitting though.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right tbh sausageinabun. How does the back of your back fit? Is it completely horizontal? If you buy a new bra, does it fit firmly on the loosest hook? Can you pull it away from your body by more than an inch or two?

CockyFox Sat 23-Feb-13 21:45:41

I'm also very confused, I have just done my measurements leaning over and got 32" under bust and 44" over, now I wear a 32G or GG bra but that is based on a 41" full bust should I really be wearing an H or HH (does such a thing exist?)

CockyFox, cup size is much harder to measure than underbust, it can only really be an estimate. But, are you scooping all the underarm/back fat in to the cups? Sometimes this is to blame for a discrepancy as many people don't realise that underarm tissue is actually breast and belongs in the cup. Try vigorous scooping, you may find you suddenly have quad boob!

Well I can fit a whole hand under the band and pull it quite a way from my body but it does sit horizontally. The cups fit fine. I think I'm going to have to just go and try a load on and not bother with a fitter.

Noodled Sat 23-Feb-13 22:00:11

God am torn really want to see if have more boob living in my armpit but it's really cold here and our heating switched itself off. Can I brave the cold. Am wearing a 36C, it is fraying! Actually it is beyond frayed on the left side...bigger or more friction from extra jiggle? I have worn it before pregnancy, during and now whilst bf! I have two nursing bras but they aren't comfy. I hate shopping but have now meant to buy new bras each week for over a year!

CockyFox Sat 23-Feb-13 22:00:16

Interesting results of vigourous scooping - 3 boobs, I've only got double boob on one side, must have one bigger than the other, think I'll pop to bravissimo and try a bigger cup on and see how it looks but don't want one side not full.

Cockyfox, if you pop over to S&B, Marriednotdead has just posted some advice an hour or so ago about how to fit breasts with asymmetry. Definitely sounds like bigger cup needed though

Sausage - whole hand = back tooooooo big smile Based on your measurements, I would say a 28H. This is broadly in line with the cup size you are wearing just now (it's roughly down one back=up one cup to maintain volume but it's not exact)

chickydoo Sat 23-Feb-13 22:06:37

Hi
Could do with some help, tape measure in Hand.
Back is 28.2
Fullest part of bust without bra is 33.6
I was measured as a 32 c
Doesn't feel right. Any suggestions
Thanks very much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now