Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think my friend looks silly driving around with her car roof down in February?

(135 Posts)
MockingBirdJay Wed 20-Feb-13 00:53:25

Friend bought a new car 6ish months ago, it is her pride and joy. Think constant updates, lots of photos on facebook etc.

Today we were saying what a nice day it was ... clear skies, sun shining - but it was obviously still freezing.

Friend says "yes it was so nice I've been driving around with the roof down"

hmm

See if I had a that sort of car I would only put the roof down when it was actually hot.

I know she has probably been dying to do this .... but regardless of who it was - if I saw someone driving with their roof down in February I'd be thinking numpty what a complete show off grin

goingupinfumes Wed 20-Feb-13 23:05:08

Love driving my classic convertible on days like this alias, it's not been MOT'd yet, else I would of been out like a shot.

There is nothing better than having the chill on your head and the warm heating blasting around your legs, it's lovely fresh crisp air it just makes you feel alive!

I would be like your friend and update people / friends about my new car if it was something I was excited about as I would think as friends they would also be excited with me - Not poo poo my excitement with comments like "I could afford one, but I choose not too"

Some friend...

andubelievedthat Wed 20-Feb-13 22:48:23

If? she was in Essex , wearing a micro mini, driving a XR3I, with killer heels (her, not car) a crop-top and Wham"s greatest hits was blasting out the soooooperb sound system, i envy her ! cos thats what every girl should , at one point , be able to do, and yes , low life that i am undoubtably am ,i wish i had all that to reflect on, in my dottage !(like now),oh yes, dyed blond hair >essential and very long false nails....slopes off to play "milk and alcohol"....

currentbuns Wed 20-Feb-13 22:00:54

I used to have a lovely convertible pre-dc... It was lovely to drive with the top down, even on cold days, as long as it wasn't raining. The seat warmers & heating were incredibly effective.

Cubtrouble Wed 20-Feb-13 20:28:38

Op you need to chill out! For Christ sake, it seems VERY much that you've asked a question you clearly didn't want an answer to.

Are you unreasonable to think your friend looks silly driving her convertible the the top down? Yes you are! It's her business!

If LA isn't the land of show offs I'd like to see a place that fits the bill more.

You ARE making a choice to work in LA because the career or a job IS a choice?

If you go around in real life flaming people down, whose opinion you actually asked for I am actually flabbergasted you have any friends at all.

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 18:29:42

who on earth is it showing off to? I trundle up and down a farm track. The horses? The one eyed farmhand? A barn owl? A few muntjacs?

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:25:50

Lovers you can ride shotgun in the repression-mobile with OP.

grin

BeepBeepSong Wed 20-Feb-13 18:24:32

Although I do think that anyone who drives with the lid off in cold weather is a show off, YANBU.

Agree.

Sparklingbrook Wed 20-Feb-13 18:22:31

Bought it without looking. shock grin

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 18:21:01

it came with a brilliant plate actually!

I was so pleased, was trading down (from a proper convertible) and just bought it without looking, I didn't know it had a retractable roof

Sparklingbrook Wed 20-Feb-13 18:18:30

You need a personalised plate Mitchy. wink

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 18:17:50

nobody could show off in my car!

it's about ten years old and a FORD

is the most humble vehicle ever

Bunbaker Wed 20-Feb-13 18:12:34

It was cold, dull and miserable in South Yorkshire today.

Although I do think that anyone who drives with the lid off in cold weather is a show off, YANBU.

LoversLeape Wed 20-Feb-13 18:11:27

Convertibles are the toppiest of tip top pick you ups. You do sound wel jel and those judgeys must be chafing good and proper.

I have never cringed so much at one post wel jel, judgeys, chafing good and proper

I feel very embarrassed for you.

Mitchy1nge Wed 20-Feb-13 18:10:34

thought this was me for a minute except am pretty sure there are no pics of my car on FB and I wouldn't be friends with someone so grumpy

if it isn't raining and there is the merest whiff of sunshine then I just have to, I really like the fresh air. It's not that cold when you have the heating up full

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:09:22

member it's only the roof that's down. You keep the windscreen grin

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:02:22

You're in LA?? it's surely the law to drive top down there.

Are you all closed in and repressed in a boring saloon? Time to PX for a more fun model OP.

member Wed 20-Feb-13 18:01:52

Ok, so there are heaters/jackets/hats & gloves but what about your facial skin? Your nose streaming & feeling so cold it's sore as a chill wind whips past - still not sold on the idea grin

EnjoyResponsibly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:00:37

YABU it was a lovely day today. Convertibles are the toppiest of tip top pick you ups. You do sound wel jel and those judgeys must be chafing good and proper.

lustybusty Wed 20-Feb-13 17:57:33

moody me too!! grin

anonymosity Wed 20-Feb-13 17:41:02

I am in LA too. Its FREEZING today. 44 F - horrors!

MoodyDidIt Wed 20-Feb-13 17:02:52

ha i clicked on this thread paranoid it was me blush

i have a pride and joy convertible and i have been freezing my arse off putting the roof down recently

MockingBirdJay Wed 20-Feb-13 16:29:58

You live half the time in la? In the sunshine then? The land of show offs

It's not really the land of show offs, depends on who you associate yourself with.

I don't live there by choice. I live there because I'm required to do so for work.

And I never once said - my friend is silly because she bought a convertible. Don't put words in my mouth.

Cubtrouble Wed 20-Feb-13 15:50:09

Lol you didn't vent in private op, you vented on mn!!

You live half the time in la? In the sunshine then? The land of show offs, your poor mate buys a convertible and you think she's silly? I think she's just trying her new car out at the first opportunity she could. Good for her.

Me? I drive a Volvo with a baby seat, nothing to show off about.
If I did have a convertible I'd have my roof down whenever it wasn't raining, I'd get a decent down jacket and a pair of aviators. Fantastic.

You're not nasty though, perhaps a bit jel ;-))

Pagwatch Wed 20-Feb-13 15:50:07

Gawd Mockinjay, i may have misunderstood your comments but you sure as hell have misunderstood my tone.
I am starting to feel a bit of an arse for picking up and arguing with the 'nasty, nasty, nasty' comment.

<< kicks self. Goes for a drive>>

FourEyesGood Wed 20-Feb-13 15:47:17

I certainly didn't mean to offend. I consider myself a total square, and wear my squareness as a badge of honour (with 'twattish' being the opposite of 'square').

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now