To think it really wasn't necessary for Myleene Klass to mention the 'Breastapo'?

(160 Posts)
UnknownGnome Mon 18-Feb-13 17:01:46

I was watching Lorraine this morning during which there was a feature which showed Myleene Klass visiting a third world country promoting the benefits of breastfeeding and raising awareness of the goodness of breastmilk, particularly colostrum. Formula is often watered down, or made with unclean water, therefore not the best option for many women, but they are not always aware of this.

Cut to Myleene in the studio with Kate Garraway and she is, again, talking about the benefits of breastfeeding but qualifies this by saying she is by no means a member of the 'breastapo'. Was this completely necessary? Surely it's ok to talk about the benefits of breastfeeding without making a negative comment about those who promote it?

Just realised that I haven't posed this as an AIBU, so, AIBU to think this was an unnecessary and unhelpful comment?

SashaSashays Mon 18-Feb-13 17:55:57

I think she was just trying to disassociate herself and the campaign from a certain aspect of the pro-bf groups.

Pretty much as Worra has said.

Lots of women will disengage with the kind of bf militants who I think the term Breastapo refers to and disassociation from those type of groups is a good thing for the campaign work she's doing.

It a bit like someone promoting healthy eating and making a similar pun type comment about not advocating an organic, wheat-free sugar-free everything free raw food diet.

Its pretty much 'I'm not one of the hardliners who everybody hates', it also, I imagine reduces people making contact and saying I couldn't breastfeed for xyz reasons which while they are something they are very emotional about (and rightly so) isn't of interest to the campaign.

Tailtwister Mon 18-Feb-13 17:58:40

YANBU, it's a very offensive term and trivialises the subject. It's a shame she couldn't discuss the issue without resorting to name calling.

JaquelineHyde Mon 18-Feb-13 17:58:50

YABU for watching Lorraine!

The rest I couldn't care about as it has come out of Myleen Klass' mouth.

SashaSashays Mon 18-Feb-13 17:59:07

Also not sure why everyone is so awful about her. Yes like all television personalities she has the capacity to be extremely irritating but if she posted her circumstances on mn (her husband suddenly abandoned her and their two children after years together) she would get oodles of sympathy and support.

mrsbunnylove Mon 18-Feb-13 18:00:10

i find her name so low that i cannot imagine a time when i would want to know anything she had said. myleene? klass? no.

incidentally, i don't feel like this about any other name. 'wugbaby jugsbucket' or 'chaz the chav' would be just fine. its just that particular name.

pictish Mon 18-Feb-13 18:01:45

What Worra said.

Maybe she read the pushy, self satisfied crap from breastfeeding bullies on here, and wanted it to be known she isn't like that. I fucking would.

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 18:01:54

who gave her the power to comment on babies and children just because she managed to pop a few out hmm I didnt watch but heard something along the lines of now she is a mum herself she cares, so before she didnt care then, stupid moo she gets on my nerves,

mrsbunnylove Mon 18-Feb-13 18:02:28

perhaps it could be adapted.

'MyStep Class'; 'MyLiteracyClass'; 'MySppelinkKlass'.

elinor do you really think that implying someone is similar to the Gestapo is lighthearted? hmm

Yes, there are women who are militant about breastfeeding and will push their opinions onto others regardless. However they are a minority among mothers and a minority among peer supporters. I wonder how many women are put off seeking help with breastfeeding because of this kind of attitude?

rubberduck I can take being laughed at. I object to the terms 'Breastapo' and 'Breastfeeding Nazis' (actually I object to 'anything Nazis') because people do not stop to think what they are actually saying. A rude woman who is adamant that you must breastfeed is not equivalent to people who tortured and murdered millions. Anyone who uses this kind of phrase loses my respect because they are displaying their ignorance and prejudice.

mrsjay Mon 18-Feb-13 18:03:35

but when you think about it she is probably doesnt want to seem preachy still annoys me though

AbsintheMinded Mon 18-Feb-13 18:05:46

I get offended by this term as I think it minimises the holocaust.

A trip to one of the concentration camps should be her next port of call.

YANBU.

organiccarrotcake Mon 18-Feb-13 18:08:08

Actually no. Those of us "who object to terms like bf nazi and brestapo" object to anyone, no matter how offensive (and yes there are some people who will write or say truly offensive and ignorant stuff, no matter the subject but especially about infant feeding) being associated with some of the biggest mass murderers in history. Sure, some people can be absolutely horrible about infant feeding (FF or BF). But let's not for a moment think that it's ok to joke about what the Nazis did. Let's not for one second associate the worst evils of this world with people who are being stupid and offensive. Honestly, some things just really.aren't.funny.

Furthermore, why laugh at breastfeeding supporters? Sure, get angry at those people who say nasty things. They're being nasty, not supporting breastfeeding. Laugh at them if it makes you happy. But don't mix them up with actual breastfeeding supporters, who are almost always volunteers, trying to help people who want help where the NHS has failed.

Of course people will say things out of turn (in every area of parenting). Often they're trying to help, albeit not necessarily successfully. Sometimes they're being ignorant or just plain superior. Again, this happens in every area of parenting. We don't hear about nappy nazis or bed-stapos (ok so they don't scan so well!) so why are BFing supporters singled out this way, and more to the point, why are BFing supporters mixed in with people who are being nasty and superior?

Someone may have not been able to help you. You may have not wanted their comments. But they didn't take your family, starve them and then gas them.

NonnoMum Mon 18-Feb-13 18:10:31

It's a disgraceful term to use.
You've let yourself down, Mylene.

As usual organic has put it so much better than me!

myrubberduck Mon 18-Feb-13 18:23:53

So presumably all of you who are going all cats bum mouth about brestapo etc would be equally upset at any humorous reference to nazis . The 'don't mention the war' episode of fawlty towers must be beyond the pale than - not to mention 'allo 'allo...

Somehow I doubt it.

MorrisZapp Mon 18-Feb-13 18:29:55

Soup Nazi from Seinfeld?

rubberduck No, I don't find those programmes funny.

I'm a peer supporter. I trained to help women who want my help; I volunteer at my local support group where I work with any mother who asks for my help or advice. So that makes it ok for idiots to compare me to people responsible for the abomination that was the Holocaust? hmm

gordyslovesheep Mon 18-Feb-13 18:34:44

calling people Nazi and breastapo is in no way the same as Basil's in ability to cope with German guests though

and Allo Allo was never funny - on any level

hth

Ulysses Mon 18-Feb-13 18:36:02

But what are child/baby associations are made with the Nazis/Gestapo? The only ones I have heard of are to do with breastfeeding. Horrible terms.

MrsDimples Mon 18-Feb-13 18:38:57

YANBU

The press piece I read, about this, didn't even mention the underhand marketing techniques of the formula companies.

myrubberduck Mon 18-Feb-13 18:39:46

If you do not crease yourself laughing at the do t mention the war episode of FT then you have no sense of humour. At all.

All this hand wringing about the term brestapo is utterly disingenuous ; you lot just don't like to have the piss taken.

Any objections to feeding fundamentalist? Nipple Stasi ?

AngryGnome Mon 18-Feb-13 18:42:28

She is working to support a charity in highlighting an important issue. I have no problem with that. All charities use slebs to raise their profile.

Not keen on any terms that liken a focus on breastfeeding with genocide, but I would imagine that, like most people who use this analogy, she just didn't think about the implications of her language.

rubberduck Fawlty Towers was never funny imo, merely cringeworthy. But I know others have the same opinion about comedy that I enjoy.

I refuse to believe that you are not intelligent enough to understand why people are offended by being compared to Nazis.

pictish Mon 18-Feb-13 18:44:19

Oh get a grip - it's word play. I LOVE word play!!

It doesn't minimise the holocaust at all. You couldn't miniise the holocaust if you fucking tried.

DomesticCEO Mon 18-Feb-13 18:46:03

Joyful, no one is comparing peer supporters to to the Gestapo, or anyone who helps other bf. It's the minority (of which there are a sizeable number on here sadly) who go out of there way to make ff feel completely shit about their feeding choices (or even not choices but ended up that way anyway) and repeat endless (often dubious) stats about how your ff child will die before they reach adulthood because you selfishly choose to ff them.

Those are the people that MK is referring to, not you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now