To think that newborns don't look cute in jeans?

(118 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Thu 14-Feb-13 19:58:36

How judgey am I? I saw some photos of my cousins beautiful baby boy who was born yesterday morning. Wearing jeans and a lumberjack shirt. I know I sound old fashioned I just assumed they wore baby grows and things with poppers on for the first few weeks. Fire away. smile

JustCallMeFish Thu 14-Feb-13 20:25:43

My dc3 is 14 weeks and he's not worn anything but babygros yet. And I intend to keep it that way for a least another month or so.

Clothes are uncomfortable for babies.

If I could get away with wearing a onesie all day, every day, I would.

And you can have a better snuggle with a baby in a babygro. IMO.

Viviennemary Thu 14-Feb-13 20:26:05

I agree totally. Baby clothes for babies.

ll31 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:31:49

Yabu, newborns look great in anything

ChristmasJubilee Thu 14-Feb-13 20:34:46

I don't like jeans for babies but I really can't stand babygrows during the day. My ds's' had velour all in ones, soft cotton dungarees or leggings (girls) with fleece tops or cardigans during the day. All soft and cuddly but properly dressed and babygrows for bedtime.

WafflesandWhippedCream Thu 14-Feb-13 20:35:15

They're not my choice, I think babygrows or dungarees look much cuter.

Tbh I don't really like my 20 month old in jeans - she has two pairs that were hand-me-downs from a friend. Whenever I put her in them, I just think they are so boring. Let's face it, she'll probably be wearing jeans (for leisure at least) pretty much exclusively from when she's about 9 or 10 until her 30's, or older grin. But she won't be able to carry off a pair of stripy red velour joggers for many more years!

I prefer little kids in clothes that no self-respecting adult would dream of wearing grin.

VinegarDrinker Thu 14-Feb-13 20:39:56

I don't even like my just 2 yr old in jeans! MiL bought him some but I think they make him look far too grown up. Plus nowhere near as comfy (or practical) as soft cotton joggers.

everlong Thu 14-Feb-13 20:42:09

Years ago all both newborn boys and girls wore soft white nighties, with a little lamb or something as cute embroidered on the front.

Lovely little pink newborn feet poking out the bottom. <well broody>

Crawling Thu 14-Feb-13 20:44:14

Yanbu I hate hate this I was bought loads yuck. I like baby gros personally much more comfy and practical.

SoleSource Thu 14-Feb-13 20:45:35

Yanbu

VinegarDrinker Thu 14-Feb-13 20:46:14

I actually wasn't too keen on baby gros - all those poppers! Just did soft simple slip on top & footed trousers.

HollyBerryBush Thu 14-Feb-13 20:48:05

YABU. babies look cute, period.

People that keep them in the equivalent of nightwear have a different perspective of what constitutes appropriate dress.

SoleSource Thu 14-Feb-13 20:48:49

hmm

Lighthousekeeping Thu 14-Feb-13 20:50:40

I want these and someone to dress them in! www.stellamccartney.com/gb/stella-mccartney-kids/bottoms_cod36402457it.html infact her whole baby range is so soft to look at. I'm waiting for it to come to TK Maxx

FarBetterNow Thu 14-Feb-13 20:52:57

I think baby boys can look like little old bald headed men in shirts and trousers.
I remember one baby in a linen suit, tie and shirt at 3 months old - he looked like Charlie Drake.

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 20:53:28

£28!!?!???!

HeavenlyWineandRoses Thu 14-Feb-13 20:54:38

YANBU. Babies should be dressed in soft cotton sleepsuits with baby-ish prints like ducks and bunny rabbits. They look silly and uncomfortable in anything else.

INeedThatForkOff Thu 14-Feb-13 20:55:49

Weeeell, I prefer rompers but DS was given a couple of pairs if jeans, size 3-6 months, when he was born. They seem comfy enough so I'm not going to waste them.

Footface Thu 14-Feb-13 20:55:49

Yanbu, it must be so uncomfortable. When ds1 was newborn he was in a baby grow and the h.v came round and told me should be dress by this time of the day

usualsuspect Thu 14-Feb-13 20:56:36

I would judge someone who paid the price as on that website

usualsuspect Thu 14-Feb-13 20:57:17

Prices*

CheerfulYank Thu 14-Feb-13 20:58:53

I dressed DS in jeans as a baby (he's 5 and a half now) but can't imagine why I did! DC2 is due in May and will be comfier smile

5madthings Thu 14-Feb-13 20:59:14

I kept mine in baby grows or very soft cosy leggings and tops etc.

ARF at the idea that putting a newborn in 'proper' clothes will help it learn to distinguish between day and night!!!

determinedma Thu 14-Feb-13 20:59:39

Work clients brought their 8 month old to an event recently and he was in a babygro and cardy and looked so damn cute and like a proper baby not an mini adult

Lighthousekeeping Thu 14-Feb-13 21:03:00

I wouldn't dream of paying those prices! It's the range I would buy my imaginary baby when I win the lottery! Having said that, last years stock went to TK Maxx for a quarter of that price and if it does again I shall be buying afew presents.

The jeans come up to under his armpits. What's all that about?

GirlOutNumbered Thu 14-Feb-13 21:03:43

I've just starting 'dressing' DS2 and he's 5 months!!! Onsies are so easy and so cute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now