Penistone

(130 Posts)
TaggieCampbellBlack Wed 13-Feb-13 19:12:24

[childish snort]

Imagine living in Penistone grin

I used to live in Wombwell, MummyPig. Found it to be a strange place.

There is a brilliant soft play in Penistone which DD loves and is just for under 5's. Worth going just for the ginger and caramac cake

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Feb-13 21:44:33

x post BigCow !!! I wonder if it is the same person ? Does his first name begins with D?

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Feb-13 21:45:10

We love Jollytots Glen but I have never had that cake.

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 13-Feb-13 21:49:45

Artex - there's not a word of truth in the story. It is actually named after the penny rent it was listed for in the Domesday book.

Barnsley is a much newer town, and wasn't listed in the Domesday book at all.

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Feb-13 21:50:10

Staying close to Penistone, Middlestown (near Wakefield, where the Mining Museum is) was originally called Shitterton too, but changed it's name. It chose Middlestown because it is between Netherton (Far Town) and Overton (High Town). Or something like that anyway.

I like Great Fryup in N Yorks.

PrincessUnderpaid Wed 13-Feb-13 21:51:11

Not a million miles away ivor a true Yorkshire Pudding [winl]

ZolaBuddleia Wed 13-Feb-13 21:51:21

There's a Muff near Derry. And apparently yes, they do have a divers' club.

ToomuchWaternotWine Wed 13-Feb-13 21:54:48

You may not believe this, but an ex of mine moved from Clitheroe (clit-hero) to Penistone due to job change! He looked at several houses but decided on Penistone cos he just couldn't resist the name! (We are both Scottish btw so didn't know the local pronunciations sorry).

Ha ha genital city as a friend of mine calls it

LangenFlugelHappleHoff Wed 13-Feb-13 22:19:46

Used to drive through a town called Wankum in Germany on the way to the airport. Still makes me giggle

Selks Wed 13-Feb-13 22:21:34

I have a place called Slack Bottom not far away grin

grovel Wed 13-Feb-13 22:26:26

My Mum never, ever swore. One day (when she was 70) we drove through Funtington in Sussex. She very casually said to me "It's such an unsatisfactory name , darling, neither one thing nor the other". I nearly choked.

OxfordBags Wed 13-Feb-13 22:27:22

My friend's surname is Penistone. You know how driving licences use the first 5 letters of your surname as a sort of code? Yeah, his driving licence says PENIS on it. He uses it as an icebreaker when chatting people up grin

SwedishEdith Wed 13-Feb-13 22:31:03

Since that's about 5 of us who have posted about Penistones and their driving licences I reckon they all must use it as an ice-breaker grin

Isn't Upperthong around those parts - that always used to make me smile.

And for some reason I keep having a fit of the giggles about Funbag Drive grin

OxfordBags Wed 13-Feb-13 23:18:26

Ooops, I thought I had refreshed when I posted mine blush

MissPricklePants Wed 13-Feb-13 23:26:39

I live near Penistone. <waves at fellow local MNers>

chrome100 Wed 13-Feb-13 23:35:11

Our local is called The Old Cock and is on Gay Lane

austenozzy Wed 13-Feb-13 23:48:11
simplesusan Wed 13-Feb-13 23:52:51

I live near a Penistone Avenue and have never heard anyone make a joke about it.

I've also passed Fanny Hand's Lane and know of a Slutwell lane too.

ArtexMonkey Thu 14-Feb-13 00:00:06

grin mummypig

Have we had wetwang yet? Chortle chortle.

I used to work at the local post office, the customer who used to comein and collect parcels who lived at clitsome view was Mr G.O.Stickly.....

Drizzleit Thu 14-Feb-13 07:49:20

Grovel that's brilliant grin

<waves at misspricklepants>

ArtVandelay Thu 14-Feb-13 07:59:34

Langen, we love going past the the turn-off to Wankum too! Was once in a traffic jam just north of Titz.

Bunbaker Thu 14-Feb-13 08:50:39

BikeRunSki Was there a heckler in the audience? He was so funny - I couldn't decide whether he was genuine or a plant.

Off to Penistone market today smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now