Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not believe celebrities when they talk about their diets

(109 Posts)
atthewelles Wed 13-Feb-13 11:22:57

Those articles in magazines where they ask a celeb about their typical day's food intake and its always:

Breakfast: Bowl of porridge with blueberries and mango stirred through

Lunch: A vegetable stir fry

Dinner: Some grilled fish and a salad

I bet most of them live on crisps, cigarettes and free champagne.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Thu 14-Feb-13 20:51:37

Pre child I was a size zero (4-6) and ate EVERYTHING nothing fitted and I struggled to get clothes.
Now it's a different story!

limitedperiodonly Thu 14-Feb-13 17:06:08

Are you sure it's not something with icecream they used to serve in Wimpys ifancyashandy

I remember someone who was a bit of a diet fiend going on and on at me (it was cocaine, wasn't it?) about all the empty calories in alcohol and I was wondering how a nice gin and tonic could ever be a waste.

ledkr Spain Thu 14-Feb-13 16:51:57

Also dies anyone find they just "weigh heavy"
I was a lose size 12 and 5ft 7 weighed about 12 stones. Whereas sil is a size 12 and weighs about ten.
I was probably an 8-10 when weighed 10 stones.

ledkr Spain Thu 14-Feb-13 16:45:05

If you do a few lines of coke one night your appetite is lessened for a few days afterwards. So two parties a week is enough to mean small appetite all week.
So I've heard hmm

ifancyashandy Thu 14-Feb-13 16:35:48

Limitedperiodonly, Coke Bloat is a thing!

limitedperiodonly Thu 14-Feb-13 16:06:32

I don't know because I've never done cocaine <angel>. You can drink more with it which is fattening. And it's harmful to your health if you spend ages giggling with your mate in the toilet when I'm desperate for a wee.

I was amazed that Boy George was so fat because I thought junkies were always thin. Not that I think it's a good diet tip. A friend said only the poor ones who have to choose between heroin and food are thin.

Not sure that's true. He used to make things up too.

limitedperiodonly Thu 14-Feb-13 16:00:11

I used to see someone we nicknamed The Yogurt Lady at junkets because she'd always ask celebs about fermented milk foods. It would totally derail round table chats which is where you have a celeb sitting at a table with four or five journalists asking questions in turn.

It works best if you all pursue the same line so you get a useable chat, not a series of random answers like: 'Yes, Paris, Dirty Dancing, strawberry flavour.'

If we saw her approaching we'd remove the chair. Sometimes from under her.

GetOrf Thu 14-Feb-13 15:49:55

grin at Pilgeresque estimations.

Nobody would complain would they if you guessed a stone under, but they would I suppose if you added a stone on!

When people say a diet of cocaine helps, does it really reduce your appetite that much? And if so wouldn't it have to be taken every day. Am I being ridiculously naive in thinking that surely these people can't be coked up all the time.

limitedperiodonly Thu 14-Feb-13 15:19:21

Sometimes I can't believe the weight of people that they write about.

You're getting very warm there getorf.

Ages ago I had to write a round up of loads of celebs which included their weight and height. I didn't bother phoning their agents because who would tell me?

I still had to come up with something though. I actually found a website where people discussed celeb weight from random meetings. When enough people had verified a weight it was logged. It reminded me of the rumour that Britain's hangman Albert Pierrepoint's party trick was guessing people's weight just by shaking hands.

That still left quite a few people so I made it up. I didn't want people phoning in to complain so I underestimated. I got no complaints and a lot of praise in the office for my Pilgeresque standards of investigative journalism. It was that kind of place. For ages afterwards I saw my guesses appearing in other magazines as incontrovertible fact.

atthewelles No, they'll be real. I've fearlessly pursued the truth of what celebs eat and what's in their handbag, fridge or medicine cabinet. It pays the mortgage.

ppeatfruit Thu 14-Feb-13 13:52:23

I thought that that report laurie said that really poor and really rich are slim or thin and its the middles who have fat middlles!!grin

atthewelles Thu 14-Feb-13 12:26:17

TBH I suspect, a lot of the time, that these 'My daily diet' features are written by some P.A. or PR person and the celeb in question doesn't even see them.

Well first of all poverty in this country makes you fat if you look at the statistics.

Also, if you were paid to be thin and you then had the money to buy lots of lovely healthy food then you'd find it easier to be thin - healthy quick food is madly expensive - sushi, pre prepped salads, lovely smoothies and wheatgrass - all top quality, top healthy and really expensive.

ppeatfruit Thu 14-Feb-13 12:02:53

People are all different; we all have different reactions to certain foods and combinations of foods e.g. burgers and bacon sandwiches will make most people fat because the digestion of carbs and protein at the same time is very difficult for most stomachs so you end up with a big belly.

The Hay Diet is a good way of loosing weight actually (that's not eating carbs and protein at the same meal) It's healthier too.

Bunfags Thu 14-Feb-13 11:59:10

VB only ate peas? A diet of only peas sounds absolutely soul destroying!

GetOrf Thu 14-Feb-13 11:57:00

lol squeaky - I remember going on a crash diet when I wanted to fit into my very skimpy prom dress - I ate nothing but peas and salad cream for a few weeks.

mrsjay Thu 14-Feb-13 11:55:25

VB was a lodger at my friends parents house when she was at stage school and starting off with the spice girls... all she ate was peas.. nothing else.

I read that years ago may have been one of the spice girls who said it or maybe a girl who didnt get into the spice girls probably the latter

mrsjay Thu 14-Feb-13 11:54:33

I love nothing better than a fresh fruit salad for lunch hmm OKAYYY THEN grin

tbh i really dont bother what any celeb does far less what they eat

squeakytoy Thu 14-Feb-13 11:51:50

VB was a lodger at my friends parents house when she was at stage school and starting off with the spice girls... all she ate was peas.. nothing else.

ChestyLeRoux Thu 14-Feb-13 11:49:28

I think its ridiculous wheb people say its not possible ledkr says she wpuld have to not eat to weigh 9 stone I would have to eat three course meals three times a day to get anywhere near that big.People can do it naturally

ChestyLeRoux Thu 14-Feb-13 11:39:20

Some people just are really skinny and can eat whatever.I do and Im far from a healthy salad eater.I suppose people just find it hard to believe as its far from their body shape.

I know people at work who eat boxes of salad at work and always refuse birthday cakes,crisps,sweets and biscuits that the rest of us are always eating.If I did that I would weigh about 4 stone whereas they are still size 12/14.I always find that difficult to get my head round.

GetOrf Thu 14-Feb-13 11:32:22

Sometimes I can't believe the weight of people that they write about.

Thingumybob's wife, Peter Crouch, she is about 5.10 and they say that she weighs 8 stone. That can't be right surely.

And Naomi Campbell was always supposed to be around the 7 stone mark. She aint that thin.

ppeatfruit Thu 14-Feb-13 11:11:03

I know the wife of Prince Charles smokes, she ain't even slim though! I've seen VERY large people smoking.

ppeatfruit Thu 14-Feb-13 11:08:15

twitchycurtains I agree about Fern Britton and definitely about that stupid campaign by W.W. using Patsy Kensit when was she fat FGS? They should use some of their hostesses!! Or whatever they're called i wouldn't touch W.W. with a bargepole grin

ledkr Spain Wed 13-Feb-13 19:05:30

It's sad but definitely keeps you slim. I've even considered starting again to loss weight but I can never fancy it anymore apart from if I drink.
I was a ballet dancer for a bit and we all smoked so did ds when he was dancing. I saw people eat tissue too.
It's a shame it's bad for you cos would solve the obestity crisis grin
Dh is naturally skinny but appears to eat loads but when you live with him you realise he actually eats huge amounts when he does eat but will also go hours without food which chubby ole me would never dream of

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 13-Feb-13 18:06:27

As do most of the Royals, Kate M included (tho not sure about during pregnancy).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now