To think you don't let your toddler play with noisy electic games on a packed train?

(291 Posts)
Hammy02 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:14:59

Or any train for that matter. I was on jam packed train at the weekend (no spare seats, aisle full of people standing up) and one woman was sat with her small child playing with a toy that said 'triangle', 'square' etc when the kid pressed each shape. I was a couple of seats in front & could hear it! AIBU to think this was utterly selfish of the mum? Other people were giving her the evils but she seemed oblivious.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Mon 11-Feb-13 13:33:05

It might be annoying but it's far less annoying than a screaming child. So YABU. I find music through headphones more irratating. So I move. Easy.

Hammy02 Mon 11-Feb-13 13:33:26

It was 6pm. Not sure whether that makes any difference. I think it was just that it was uncomfortable enough as it was without additional unnecessary noise. It was mostly commuters on the train so not much talking. Luckily I don't have to travel on a train very often. I feel for those that do.

FeckOffCup Mon 11-Feb-13 13:34:30

YABU it was possibly a last resort to entertain a bored child who would otherwise be whinging or crying which is a lot worse than game noise. On a train is acceptable, but I was at a wedding a while ago where a couple with a toddler let him play a peppa pig game with the volume on low through the ceremony, now that is inappropriate.

Was no-one on their phone? Or talking? Or eating loudly?

Flobbadobs Mon 11-Feb-13 13:35:40

I find stupid ringtones more annoying on trains...
[grumpy pmt emoticon]

Viviennemary Mon 11-Feb-13 13:36:27

I get really stressed out on trains with noise. But I'd rather have this than other noise I have been subjected to. Better that than a screaming child.

WandaDoff Mon 11-Feb-13 13:36:54

I'd rather listen to that than a bored screaming toddler.

tomverlaine Mon 11-Feb-13 13:36:54

YANBU- Its not a choice between a noisy toy or crying children- there are quiet toys. i commute with DS who's now 3 - we either have books or ipad- the latter with no noise generally

EuroShagmore Mon 11-Feb-13 13:39:50

I'm surprised at the no. of people on here who think you were being unreasonable. Of course it's unreasonable to use a talking toy on a train. There are plenty of distractions that are quieter (e.g. looking through a book together with the parent talking softly) and much less annoying than and electronic toy.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 13:40:59

Here come the perfect mothers with their perfectly quiet children.

Tryharder Mon 11-Feb-13 13:41:55

You should have gone first class wink

Mytimewillcomebutwhen Mon 11-Feb-13 13:46:06

YABU. You have no idea how long they had been travelling. When DS and I are on an evening commuter train it's because our day started twelve hours before with an hour long car journey, a four hour ferry journey, then six hours on trains with associated changes and waits. If, on a busy train, I can still keep him quiet with any thing then I won't hesitate to use it. The quiet toys, magazines, books, colouring, small cars wtc have all been exhaustively used by the time we get to the final stretch...

If you don't know the circumstances, don't judge.

BlueberryHill Mon 11-Feb-13 13:49:49

We were in a cafe at lunchtime, reading a story to DS1, someone came over to ask us to be quiet. We were no louder than an ordinary conversation and we were gobsmacked.

Agree with Mytimewillcome, also if its 6pm the toddler may be about to enter prime meltdown time just because they are tired, in that case the noise will have been much less annoying than any talking toy.

fuzzysnout Mon 11-Feb-13 14:08:56

Er, no YANBU. Amazed at the number of people who think it's ok to disturb others. Having children doesn't give us the right to disreguard others. There are plenty of ways to entertain small children without talking toys. Sad to see how many people don't think of others at all.

But why should the toddler be disturbd by adults talking on phones? What is acceptable and what isn't.

usualsuspect Mon 11-Feb-13 14:15:39

Yes lets all sit in complete silence when out in public so as not to disturb anyone.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Mon 11-Feb-13 14:19:05

Sometimes, shhh, don't tell anyone, I take a vtech noisy toy to the supermarket to keep DS entertained. And sometimes, just sometimes, I let him eat grapes before I've paid for them. Shhhh.

Fakebook Mon 11-Feb-13 14:19:46

My DS screams. They're shrill screams that deafen your ears. I'd rather listen to a vtech monkey singing about going to the park than listen to his screams in a packed train.

Fenton Mon 11-Feb-13 14:21:22

It's just a bit of noise - there are worse things to contend with on a crowded train, I would have thought.

And No, I wouldn't see it as the mother was being 'utterly selfish', - it's just a mum trying to provide her small child with a little distraction - crowded trains aren't much fun for children, you know.

YABU to think of her as utterly selfish.

BettyandDon Mon 11-Feb-13 14:22:07

Wouldn't even begin to bother me honestly. I like seeing children out and about <and learning their shapes....>

atthewelles Mon 11-Feb-13 14:22:27

Mother probably didn't have much choice. I would prefer to listen to a child's toy than to a bunch of teenagers on their way home from school shouting at the tops of their voices, showing off and thinking the whole carriage is interested in their inane conversation.

Would it have been ok if the mother had been saying "triangle"..."circle"? If so, I don't see the difference. If not, why not?

MrsDeVere Mon 11-Feb-13 14:26:22

How dare a child interrupt your journey.

I think you should have fetched a constable and had them removed forthwith.

That or organised a posse with your fellow passengers and flogged them both.

HTH

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Mon 11-Feb-13 14:59:48

Haha mrsd grin

glossyflower Mon 11-Feb-13 15:20:08

I don't think YABU. What's wrong with children being supplied with crayons and paper in busy areas these days?
In fact when I was a small child I didn't take toys out with me.

I also can't stand it when parents let their small children run around screaming all the time, especially in shops and where I work in a hospital.
We had one kid about 4 rolling around on the floor making lots of noise whilst visiting her nan in hospital, when we asked the parents to take her away from the patient area as it was not appropriate in a ward full of people who have heart problems. Her mum said "oh you can't tell them off for wanting to play". No wanting to play is not a bad thing but children have to be taught there's a time and a place for it. And I certainly wouldn't want my child to roll around on a hospital floor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now