To think their is NOTHING wrong with extended breastfeeding or wet nursing?

(512 Posts)
Thisisaname Sun 10-Feb-13 16:33:04

Look at the comments below

I was researching extended breastfeeding and came across this.
I see nothing wrong with this, I wouldn't be 'scared' for life if I could remember being breast fed or found out I was given someone else's milk.
I think the only 'scarring' would come from going from the natural environment of being fed from something to then finding out a large majority find it sexual, not the actual feeding itself.

BubblegumPie Sun 10-Feb-13 17:07:42

My DD was walking and talking at 10 months old Absolute, should I have stopped then? hmm

corkgirlindublin Sun 10-Feb-13 17:07:57

Yikes too = two

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:08:59

Bubblegum
You know what I mean hmm

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:10:32

TheHouseofMirth
Really..... you dont say!

FlouncingMintyy Sun 10-Feb-13 17:10:46

I think most people feel that children can have a wonderful bond with their mothers just from general closeness and cuddling and that the bond experienced by extended breastfeeders is not superior to the bond experienced by babies and toddlers who are weaned earlier. In the First World, with the abundance of good food we have available, the "feeding" part of extended breastfeeding seems questionable.

BubblegumPie Sun 10-Feb-13 17:11:45

No, i don't think I do. How adept at walking and talking do they need to be before you 'can't stand' to see them bf?

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:12:29

I couldn't care less if women breastfeed until their kids ate teengers. They can do what they want.
I personally cant stand it
No hysteria here

slatternlymother Sun 10-Feb-13 17:12:55

How long did children traditionally bf for in caveman times? Was it extended or did it tail off?

pigletmania Sun 10-Feb-13 17:13:20

I would not want anybody else feeding my child it's just too personal. It would remind me of what I was not able to do, I expressed for 9 months for ds 1 year.

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:15:18

Bubblegum
If you wish to be pedantic about it......

CaseyShraeger Sun 10-Feb-13 17:19:15

Clouds, do you think five-year-olds shouldn't have milk at all, because that's the same as giving them unlimited doughnuts? Or are you fine with their having milk from other species but just not from their own species?

Happily DD2 has a language delay, so I'm A-OK with both Absoluteeightiesgirl and the WHO. Yay for me.

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:20:48

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

BubblegumPie Sun 10-Feb-13 17:23:00

I don't think I'm being pedantic, you seem to think it's inappropriate to bf a child who can walk and talk, but as I pointed out there are many children who can do both long before the WHO minimum recommendation of two years. I'm just curious as to when you feel children should stop bf? After their first step? Their first word? Do they have to be able to walk AND talk, or is one skill enough to make bf turn your stomach?

stormforce10 Sun 10-Feb-13 17:27:21

I breastfed dd until she was very nearly 2 and often wish I'd carried on longer. Someone commented recently that I was feeding DS for a very long time and should think about moving onto bottles. He's not 7 months yet, I'll feed him for some time yet.

As for wetnursing, as long as its done in a context of agreement between parents and the baby is happy and healthy I do not have a problem. Not the same thing but I donated pints and pints of milk to the milk bank when DD was a baby and that went to strangers babies who I never even met. I like to think it helped someone though. If necessary I would feed someone else's baby and I think I'd be quite comfortable with doing so

Viviennemary Sun 10-Feb-13 17:29:58

Personally I do not agree with extended breast feeding. But it's up to the individual what they wish to do. I would not wish to breastfeed a five year old or see that this would be in any way beneficial to a child of that age in the society we live in now. I think breastfeeding should stop around one.

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:30:25

Bubblegum
Ok..... to clear this up for you..... a few examples....

Breastfeeding beyond a year.
Breastfeeding children who ask
Breastfeeding children as they stand there

I PERSONALLY cant stand it.
I have no issue with women who choose to do it

Ok?

slatternlymother Sun 10-Feb-13 17:30:54

I just wonder if it was commonly done before now. You know, like caveman times or something. If a child is feeding well on a solid diet, is the bm going to massively benefit them?

Maryz Sun 10-Feb-13 17:31:23

I find the bit about breastfeeding other people's babies a bit strange. Especially the "I enjoyed it" bit.

I have no problem with anyone breastfeeding any child anywhere any time at any age, but I do think children should be allowed to give up when they want to (even if it is before the mother wants to), and I also am not entirely convinced by babies being breastfed (apart from emergencies) by women who are not their mothers.

CooEeeEldridge Sun 10-Feb-13 17:31:32

Just do what you want. Not sure why people have to bang on about their 'choices' all the time. It's really not that big a deal.

EauRouge Sun 10-Feb-13 17:31:52

Ah, 'all about the mother'- that's one of my favourites! Also 'walking and talking', that's another classic. After 4 years I've heard them all several thousand times. It'd be lovely if someone came up with some new material. I'd like to volunteer 'extended breastfeeding increases the risk of alien abduction'.

Startail Sun 10-Feb-13 17:31:57

DD could still latch on with some adult teeth, although she's still losing molars in Y7.

DD2 is a clever child she tends to take a pride in doing things well. Ensuring Mum let her carry on BFing was just added to learning to read and getting 10/10 in her spelling test.

She absolutely carried on feeding because she wanted to, it was her special thing. Her way of being in control of her world for just a few minutes in a day of adults telling her what to do. For that short space of time Mummy did what she wanted her to do.

It's only since she's stopped I've realised how much more than a cuddle and a special quiet end to the day it was to her.

Maryz Sun 10-Feb-13 17:32:10

And, to be honest, looking at ds and his 13/14 year old friends who seem to be becoming obsessed with sex and boobs, I can't see breastfeeding teenage boys becoming the norm grin.

slatternlymother Sun 10-Feb-13 17:34:45

Does your DD still bf startail? How old is she? <curious> does it work well?

Absoluteeightiesgirl Sun 10-Feb-13 17:35:42

I'd like to volunteer 'extended breastfeeding increases the risk of alien abduction'

A rather pointless and petty comment.

You like it, I dont. Job done

CaseyShraeger Sun 10-Feb-13 17:39:33

Absoluteeighties, you are picking a very random and not very time-based set of criteria (walking and talking) to specify what you "can't stand seeing". But when you're called out on being not only judgmental but inconsistently judgmental we are the ones who are being "pedantic" or "playground". If you can't properly articulate or defend your position perhaps you shouldn't bang on about it on a public forum, love .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now