Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hide a little warning note to MIL when she comes to babysit tomorrow?

(946 Posts)
Wheresmygalaxy Fri 08-Feb-13 21:49:37

Tomorrow will be the 3rd time MIL has come to babysit for us since our son was born, hes 7 months.

The 1st time dp and I went to ikea and when we returned she was prattling on and on about applying for child tax credits, all about how wonderful sil is eligible for them but doesnt claim - good for her, thought it was an odd topic but she is odd smile

so the next time she babysit upon our return she was now gabbering on about which local hospital is the best to go to, she didnt like the one i gave birth in and made it well known that it wasnt as good as the 1 her friends daughter went to, so again im thinking what on earth is she on about. Then after she had gone i opened a drawer in my bedside table only to find my next hospital appt check up letter was in there and it was clearly obvious that she had gone through it while i was out. I find this just really odd i know shes really nosey but to go through of all the things in the house my bedside drawer i just found weird. She has mentioned other things that have made me think how does she even know that but having put 2 and 2 together its clear shes snooping around while were out. I love her for coming to babysit, shes giving up her time but that doesnt mean come in and go through my things does it!

I mentioned it to DP nad he said yep she always used to do it to him and his sister growing up and in fact continued to clean their rooms up until the ages of 21 and 24 when they finally left home (believe me ive shared my views on that alone since i found out hmm ).

so aibu to write a note something along the lines of "get out you nosey old cow" on a piece of paper. or something a bit more dramatic like some retirement home brochures with her name at the top grin

These ideas are fab! grin

Wouldn't be relevant though if it had happened to me as I would have immediately made clear my displeasure on her rooting through my stuff.

Wheresmygalaxy Fri 08-Feb-13 22:40:54

bogeyface grin grin grin

devonsmummy Fri 08-Feb-13 22:47:27

Marking my place for tomorrow's update!

Marking my spot to find out what happens grin

shesariver Fri 08-Feb-13 23:31:15

You could combine the two. Apply to JK "How do I tell my mother I am leaving the country?"

Inspired grin

JingleMum Fri 08-Feb-13 23:36:07

OP, I'm crying at your photoshop/horse shagging option!!! Hahahaha!!!

You have to update us tomorrow.

Ooh for extra belt-and-braces surety you could do the old spy trick of taping a hair to the door/drawer so it breaks when opened.

.....yeah, I'm marking my place. grin

LemonBreeland Fri 08-Feb-13 23:43:54

Love the added extra of a post it t your dh. I think it would be great if you didn't tell him so he looks completely incredulous when mil asks him about moving down under.

PoppyWearer Fri 08-Feb-13 23:48:52

Marking my place too!

Might try the immigration forms for when DMIL comes to babysit next. I'm sure she does the same!

TweedSlacks Fri 08-Feb-13 23:52:32

Confirmation letter from the Euromillions Lottery that you ID has been recieved and the winning monies will be deposited in your nominated bank account tis week?

carabos Fri 08-Feb-13 23:55:34

You could try something a bit "woo". Clear out all the drawers and cupboards from places she shouldnt be looking (not kitchen or anywhere she might legitimately need to look) into boxes and put them in the garage or somewhere she won't go. If she's a snooper (and by definition nosy), she won't be able to resist mentioning it.

When she does mention it, say "what on earth makes you say that?" . Then she will have to show you, at which point you ask "but why were you looking in that drawer?" and persist with it until she squirms. She won't do it again.

manicbmc Fri 08-Feb-13 23:58:00

Information about having a sex change?

ZenNudist Fri 08-Feb-13 23:58:26

Hehe loving the idea that she'll be banging on about you not emigrating. Except assuming she snoops then immediately drops hints in response to her snooping what will you say!?

Marking my place to see what happens!

LittleChimneyDroppings Sat 09-Feb-13 00:10:49

Hide your letters and leave a big turd in the drawer. only joking, don't really do that grin

Marking place to see what happens! -remind me not to piss you lot of either!

MortifiedAdams Sat 09-Feb-13 00:14:02

This is brilliant!! I love it!

Angelico Sat 09-Feb-13 00:19:39

Brilliant thread lol grin And some inspired ideas, you fiendish vipers! grin

DeepRedBetty Sat 09-Feb-13 00:25:11

very nosey about what she's going to say placemarking

Bogeyface Netherlands Sat 09-Feb-13 00:27:26

Seriously though, what do you plan to do if she goes on about emigrating and you both have absolute proof of her snooping?

You have to say something.

Waiting to see the response. Very inspired suggestions.

timidviper Sat 09-Feb-13 00:46:47

Bogeyface Could just say "What an odd question? Whatever made you ask that?" and smile sweetly

Bogeyface Netherlands Sat 09-Feb-13 00:51:17

That would be good timid grin but I think that the OP and her DP need to be on the same page so that when it comes out (as it will) that she has been snooping, they both know what to do/say.

Its no good laying a trap and her falling into it if they just let her go!

manicbmc Sat 09-Feb-13 00:52:07

They could just look at her like she is a mad woman for even suggesting the matter?

Deny all knowledge etc and then she really has to fess up to being an old snoop.

*I am adding this to all posts, Tipsy Disclaimer.

DameFanny Sat 09-Feb-13 01:07:34

I am so watching this thread for developments. Loving your work people grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now