... to think MN advertising ALCOHOL is absolutely irresponsible?

(200 Posts)
TurquoiseTranquility Thu 07-Feb-13 18:34:47

Just got my weekly 'parenting news' email from MN and was appalled to discover it features an advert of a "new lower alcohol" wine hmm. I never thought I was much of a snob (I'd hope not, anyway! confused) but I do think that for a family-oriented website to advertise alcohol is not just inappropriate, it's kind of hypocritical. Especially as some of MN users may be struggling with alcohol addiction, or being victims of their family members' drinking and related issues. I mean COME ON, a 5.5% alcohol wine isn't exactly some sort of an "alcohol replacement therapy" product angry! AIBU?

KeepingCalmAndPostingNicely Thu 07-Feb-13 18:44:26

You were appalled OP? What happens to you if something really dreadful happens? grin

hatgirl Thu 07-Feb-13 18:45:15

a wine whine! excellent!

Nasty stuff.

Totally irresponsible.

Totally MNs fault I am currently drinking my box wine out of a mug through a straw at 6.43 on a thursday night. Damn them!

sixlostmonkeys Thu 07-Feb-13 18:45:33

seriously? So you can't advertise something because someone somewhere may know someone who knows someone who may be struggling with this that or the other?

I absolutely hate the colour turquoise as it reminds me of the terrible car (it only had 3 wheels!!!) we had when I was a child. I still get nightmares. Please change your name as others may know of someone somewhere who has issues with colours.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Thu 07-Feb-13 18:45:36

Low alcohol wine......YANBU!

Yuck!

Booyhoo Thu 07-Feb-13 18:46:34

you know that mumsnet is a site for adults, right OP?

Flobbadobs Thu 07-Feb-13 18:47:10

Parents are adults too.
YABU.
Low alchohol wine is shocking though.
wine

tinygreendragon Thu 07-Feb-13 18:47:44

Get an ad blocker for your browser and never have to look at another ad on any website ever again!

Things I couldn't currently care less about include Siblu Holidays, making a photo book, shopping at Asda going to the hell that is Alton Towers.

Yet still they push them at me....... sad

Cafe Rouge, Isildur. It was rank.

TheDetective Thu 07-Feb-13 18:47:56

YABU. Not read the other posts. But YADBU.

And I am a non drinker.

It isn't a website aimed at kids.

Recovering alcoholics can see adverts anywhere. They aren't banned on TV, or in magazines, or billboards.

SolomanDaisy Thu 07-Feb-13 18:48:04

I was worried about how disgusting it sounded, like lambrini.

JenaiMorris Thu 07-Feb-13 18:48:04

YABU.

For starters, MN has a Wine section.

I agree OP, it's fucking disgusting.

Adults being given options about alcohol and red meat and chocolate. Where will it end?

Will someone think of the children.

wine

MechanicalTheatre Thu 07-Feb-13 18:48:24

Anybody for a glass of Schloer?

AgentZigzag Thu 07-Feb-13 18:48:46

MNHQ have got to pay wages and find cash for the upkeep of the site, they've never advertised wildly inappropriate things, not that they have a moral obligation to anyone as such.

stargirl1701 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:49:10

YABU.

Yes appalling. What next? Grown ups talking to other grown ups about...things other than children?

Have you read mumsnet?

Does it look child friendly?

It's a site for adults. Some adults drink wine. Some, like me prefer vodka.

PeneloPeePitstop Thu 07-Feb-13 18:52:22

Rilly?

Pass me the wine

scottishmummy Thu 07-Feb-13 18:52:26

your indignation is palpable,I mean 3sadhmmangryhumphy faces you need drink to relax
maybe next mn will advertise lube for bumsex

AViewfromtheFridge Thu 07-Feb-13 18:52:37

I completely agree. It's just like when they advertise EXPENSIVE SHIT when some people are strapped for cash. Disgraceful. grin

AllYoursBabooshka Thu 07-Feb-13 18:52:46

Schloer has two purposes:

1 - To make children feel grown up.

2 - To mock pregnant women.

I don't want Schloer I want a chilled Pinot in a big glass sad 5 months isn't that long, right?

SirBoobAlot Thu 07-Feb-13 18:53:18

Oh how ridiculous.

wine wine wine

I'm testing the Vie, and actually, it's not half bad. Tastes half way between wine and a white grape juice, in a nice way.

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 07-Feb-13 18:53:42

this is a wind up non?

Snotty sleaves - is that you

If this is real, your post makes you sound three stops short of Daggenham (Barking is three stops short of Daggenham by the way, for those of you without easy access to a tube map)

This is a site for adults. If they had a section for kids to log on, it may be different

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Thu 07-Feb-13 18:53:55

lurkedtoolong grin

<clutches pearls>

Actually YANBU OP....I'm pregnant and would love a glass or 8 of wine, selfish bastard MN advertising department angry

Tee2072 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:55:04

Surely the OPs objection is that the wine is low alcohol!

Or she's never actually read MN.

JulesJules Thu 07-Feb-13 18:55:50

Low alcohol wine is utterly disgusting. They should be advertising gin.

OP - YABU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now