to be judgy pants about people that have tattoos and keep getting more, especially women??

(533 Posts)
dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:08:39

I hate tattoos. Whilst I appreciate everyone has a right to their own taste and choices I still cannot get over the fact that people have them in places where they are visible.

A colleague of mine has just returned to work after M leave with a horrific tattoo from her wrist to her elbow. How can she go out and meet clients looking like that?? It can be seen through tops and obviously below short sleeved tops.

What I really don't like is seeing lovely brides on their wedding days, strapless dresses and tattoos on their upper arms and backs..... urgh!!!!!!

Anyone else with me??

ukatlast Mon 28-Jan-13 09:24:00

YANBU. I hate tatoos. Only political correctness stops others who also choose not to have them from agreeing. To me it's like a permanent defacing of your own body but then I don't like piercing of babies ears either so clearly I am a less is more person.

DeDevilTail Mon 28-Jan-13 09:25:20

YANBU not to like tattoos

YABU to judge those who have them though. Their body, their choice.

I have a friend who has many tattoos. In her case, there are serious mental health issues and her physical health is affected by years of acute eating disorders and she is trying to hide beneath them. She feels that she is so ugly to the bone that people will see the tattoos and not the ugliness that she sees when she looks in the mirror. Its very sad. But the tattoos do make her feel better about herself so who is anyone to judge her for it?

Nancy66 Mon 28-Jan-13 09:25:23

I don't like tats but....I have a meeting with my bank in an hour - if the advisor i'm seeing happens to have tattoos it really won't bother me. As long as she approves the loan!

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:25:43

babies ear piercing is hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm

I've been thinking of getting one but couldn't decide on what, now I know, thanks OP for helping me decide,
It's going to say 'If you don't like it, don't fucking look', I'm umming and ahhing about the fuck bit what do you think?
Now where do I place it?

Branleuse Mon 28-Jan-13 09:27:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ukatlast but people with tattoos are quite aware they are permanently marking their bodies?

If we dont mind it why on earth would it matter to you?

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:28:53

Why do some people feel the need to be so horrible?

HecateWhoopass Mon 28-Jan-13 09:29:07

"Only political correctness stops others who also choose not to have them from agreeing"

I hate them.

I said it upthread.

Don't like them at all.

I don't think anyone is saying you're not allowed to say you don't like them.

Just that it's nothing to do with someone what other people choose to ink onto their bodies.

I don't like tattoos. I don't think they look nice. That's why I don't have any.

I also don't give a shiny shit if the rest of the world decides to cover themselves from their forehead all the way down.

That's the difference. Hating tattoos and therefore not having any yourself - fine.
Thinking that because you don't like tattoos, other people should not have them - not fine.

Branleuse Mon 28-Jan-13 09:29:41

is "judgey pants" the new cutesypie way of describing interefering old cunts

Trills Mon 28-Jan-13 09:29:41

Ah, a good old wedding dress tattoo thread.

I think that if you have a tattoo, it is weirder to cover it up with thick makeup than it is to have it on display in your wedding dress.

Presumably everyone at your wedding knows that you have a tattoo on your shoulder, so if your shoulder is visible your tattoo will be visible. Hiding it is weird.

What Hecate said.

All of it.

Vingtdeux Mon 28-Jan-13 09:30:47

OMG I think you are all being rather touchy! I agree with you OP.

WorraLiberty Mon 28-Jan-13 09:31:59

YABU to 'judge' just because you personally don't like them.

I don't like them either but what's to 'judge'?

And yes I agree they look worse on women, I'm not sure why that is though.

nefertarii Mon 28-Jan-13 09:32:33

You don't have to like tattoos to think its non of your business.

Also you don't get to decide what is 'professional'

OddBoots Mon 28-Jan-13 09:34:23

There are a lot of things people wear, styles of make-up and hair and tattoos I would hate to emulate but doesn't it bring you joy to see how expressive humans can be?

These days walking down the high street is like living in an art project, it's brilliant!

SamuelWestsMistress Mon 28-Jan-13 09:34:33

You are being tattooist and bvu.

Get over other people's choices on what they do with their own bodies.

Flisspaps Mon 28-Jan-13 09:35:19

I'm a big fan of the rockabilly look, I think lots of tattoos can look fantastic. Just wish I wasn't such a wuss when it comes to needles!

PeachTown Mon 28-Jan-13 09:36:56

'tattooist'? grin

NutellaNutter Mon 28-Jan-13 09:37:23

YANBU. Tattoos are totally ugh. Surely now, when every man and his dog have got a tattoo, it's more alternative and edgy to have undefaced skin!

Yakshemash Mon 28-Jan-13 09:38:23

Relax OP. Tattoos have jumped the shark. Not having tattoos is now the way for young people to stand out from the crowd.

Yakshemash Mon 28-Jan-13 09:39:54

Oooh, X post with Nutella

Having tattooed skin will soon 'age' you as surely as cleaving to any other outmoded fashion.

FlouncingMintyy Mon 28-Jan-13 09:42:27

I also believe that the current rush to have tattoos will calm down, in the way that all fashions do, and there will be a lot of regretful people in years to come.

FreePeaceSweet Mon 28-Jan-13 09:42:34

YABU. If you don't like them then don't get any but how others choose to treat their bodies is of no consequence to me. I like tattoos on men specially older men as they remind me of my lovely gentle dad who looked far scarier than he actually was. grin

FlouncingMintyy Mon 28-Jan-13 09:43:22

x posts! Yes, you will be able to tell how old a person is give or take 5 years by their tattoos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now