To be bewildered by folk who claim that motherhood has made it impossible to go to the loo alone? Why?

(303 Posts)
Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:32:07

What ridiculous nonsense is this?
Just
go
to the loo
alone

I understand the not going to the loo alone, never understood not being able to go at all which I have read many times on mumsnet.

ddsmellysocks Fri 25-Jan-13 19:41:33

Aren't we so lucky to be discussing such trivial matters. Here is my opinion for what it is worth -

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 19:43:19

Surely it's easier to let the toddler come in, rather than having a screaming fit. It's called picking one's battles.

(I don't know why I'm even contributing on this thread. I don't own a toddler any more.)

MrsWolowitzerables Fri 25-Jan-13 19:43:24

Snog have you not read the replies?

Its just not worth the hassle or upset of having kids screaming and banging on the door. Why is this even issue that you even concern yourself about? confused

oneforthemoney Fri 25-Jan-13 19:43:57

Jacqueline - i just walk off saying 'mummy is just going to the loo' or sometimes i just walk off. What did you think we do? Lock them in a cabe or s8mething?

oneforthemoney Fri 25-Jan-13 19:44:17

Cage or something!

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 25-Jan-13 19:45:03

Now DS is 5, I do get to the loo on my own. But when he was little, he just followed me everywhere. There was so much important stuff he had to tell me immediately.

Baths are a different kettle of fish though. I only get to have my bath in peace when he is at school. Sometimes I can't wait until my naked body starts to embarrass him. Does anyone know when this will come?

Scheherezade Fri 25-Jan-13 19:45:56

Not all children are the same.

Bully for you.

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:46:11

I've never taken a child to the loo with me
Nothing bad has ever happened as a result
I just don't understand why people say this is a problem - I think it's really odd! And it's a freaky thing to tell people to expect from parenthood imo
Are you people very slow wee-ers or ploppers, is that the problem?

MrsWolowitzerables Fri 25-Jan-13 19:46:49

One you're very lucky and I am envy

When I say "mummy's going to the loo" DD1 one says "Me too" and DT1 says "and me" and DT2 says "and meeeeee" then they all follow me like the pied frigging piper.

If I tell them to wait it causes tears or constant banging on the door. TBH I'd rather have the audience than the racket. Pick your battles.

bigkidsdidit Fri 25-Jan-13 19:47:21

Me neither- I've never understood

I saw someone on here claim she hadn't had time to brush her hair once. I wanted to shout 'you're on mumsnet!' put down the laptop and brush your bloody hair!

OddBoots Fri 25-Jan-13 19:47:34

Mine were usually popped in their cots with a few toys while I went to the loo (in the next room), I was probably just lucky that they were happy enough with this.

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:49:07

Pick your battles though? Really?
Surely you only have to ignore banging on the door once or twice or horrors even 10 times before your kid realises it doesn't work?

ledkr Fri 25-Jan-13 19:49:19

Must admit my dd follows me to the loo and cries if I shut it but if I leave it open she try's get the big brush or wipe my fanboy for me.
I'm ok if I sneak away though.

BertieBotts Fri 25-Jan-13 19:50:40

But they follow you!

Maybe you've not had a velcro baby/toddler.

I minded being watched less than I minded listening to DS scream. He's 4 now and doesn't follow me most of the time.

Why would I ignore my child being upset when all it takes is to keep a door open? As others have said I choose my battles and that one isn't worth it.

MrsOakenshield Fri 25-Jan-13 19:51:38

why tell them though? Don't people just nip to the loo when they need? I don't think DD would have time to notice most of the time.

hazeyjane Fri 25-Jan-13 19:51:49

Aren't we so lucky to be discussing such trivial matters huh? It's ok to chat about trivial stuff you know!

Not that there is anything trivial about toilet/toddler etiquette!

bamboobutton Fri 25-Jan-13 19:52:16

If i shut the door on 2yo dd she will sit with her back to the door and repeatedly bang herself backwards against whilst screaming and crying. It makes the whole house shake and tenses me up so badly i can't actually go.

The only time i get to shit in peace is when they are both in bed or when dh is home and he can drag her away from the door.

MammaTJ Fri 25-Jan-13 19:52:46

I may well manage to actually go to the loo alone but......................................................... I have two people hammering on the other side of the door EVERY TIME tellign me to hurry up, they need a wee!!

They are 6 and 7, so at least go to school! grin

ZenNudist Fri 25-Jan-13 19:53:41

I take ds to the loo with me, he seems to enjoy it and stops him from damaging stuff/himself or getting up to no good when my back is turned.

ipswichwitch Fri 25-Jan-13 19:54:36

I used to have to leave DS sobbing while I went to the loo. Now he's (15months) mobile I just leave the door open and he generally meanders in for a neb. I have to take him with me to the bathroom if I need a shower - he will play by himself but needs to be able to see me if he wants to iyswim. However he had taken to standing and pressing his face against the shower cubicle door when I want to get out, resulting in some very long showers while I try to persuade him to shift!

I sneak off like a sneaky snake. It's only if I hear the words "coming ready or not" shouted across the house that I know there is a danger of being invaded. Sometimes I am not found in the bathroom by the time I have finished.

That said, I quite like it when I am invaded though because DS will often sit down next to me and start a very interesting conversation with the words "Are you doing a wee or are you doing a poo Mummy?" It makes me laugh but he is my last baby.

Snowydrift Fri 25-Jan-13 19:55:33

Ummm, because he can open the bathroom door.

MsVestibule Fri 25-Jan-13 19:55:34

KLAXON CALL!!!! NOT ALL CHILDREN ARE THE SAME!!!!

Some people are lucky enough to have babies/toddlers who just potter happily by themselves. I didn't.

Now mine are 4 and 5, yes, I can go to the loo in peace most of the time. A couple of years ago, no chance. Of course I could have closed the bathroom door, but I'd rather have them in with me, than banging and screaming on the door outside. TBH, not being able to go to the loo by myself was never one of the things that bothered me about being a SAHM, but I may have jokily mentioned it every now and then.

How many children have you got Snog? Were they always happy for you to leave them for a few minutes?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now