Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be horrified at giving a 3 yr old crisps, chocolate biscuits, cheesy bites...

(314 Posts)
starofastorath Fri 18-Jan-13 20:20:48

....at 10 in the morning? After having sugary breakfast cereals?

goldiehorn Thu 24-Jan-13 19:58:57

As a child I was allowed free reign on all the bad foods in the house - crisps, biscuits, chocolate fizzy drinks etc. It didnt matter because we did so much excercise we were never fat kids.

However, now I cannot have any of that stuff even in the house now as I will just gorge on it. If I ate junk food whenever the urge took me I would be obese. I certainly was not denied it as a child, the opposite in fact.

I dont really understand why parents think that allowing their kids to just eat any old crap all the time will mean that their kids will have a healthy relationship with food later on. Its not very logical.

My plan with DS is to let him have junk food when it is available, so at parties, special occassions etc as a 'treat' (dont get why that word is so wrong either), but not on any kind of regular basis.

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:02:08

What's a cheesy bite?? Is it like wot sits?

CarriedAwayAnnie Thu 24-Jan-13 20:03:54

It's not an extreme pickled - childhood obesity is increasing and schools throughout the country are talking about the lack of breakfasts.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 24-Jan-13 20:04:38

I suppose in this context a wotsit. I have got some of those Goodies Organix things for DS which are cheesy and bitey and have no worrying ingredients.

goldiehorn Thu 24-Jan-13 20:12:19

Yes I agree with carried . People talk about extremes of eating and how it is perhaps only a certain type of parent who lets their child get overweight. But the fact is that childhood obesity is on an alarming rise, so obviously the 'letting your child eat junk food whenever they want so they dont get ishoos with food' strategy is not working.

Yep and the "never letting your child eat sweets so they eat them in secret" isn't working either.

CarriedAwayAnnie Thu 24-Jan-13 20:27:37

There is a middle ground you know Tantrums ..

goldiehorn Thu 24-Jan-13 21:02:07

Yes just because someone does not want their child to have junk food on a regular basis, this does not mean they are a total food nazi who categorically bans any sweets, crisps, biscuits ever.

I guess it depends how you define 'in moderation' as well.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 24-Jan-13 21:09:13

I dont think people were saying that goldie.

But answering the OP. Horrified. Bad Parenting. Its over the top.

Look at some of the terminology on here to describe a buscuit. Its a bit nuts, nuttier than a Peanut KitKat.

Back2Two Thu 24-Jan-13 21:27:38

You do influence taste and cravings with diet in young children, that'll stick with them. A well as food associations.... Psychological cravings related to foods that "comfort"

"crap" isn't an innocent term. Salt, sugar, saturated fats ... They're all major factors in all major illnesses. You don't need to be fat to be ill.

PickledInAPearTree Thu 24-Jan-13 21:40:45

And an occasional biscuit does not make you ill.

JuliaScurr Fri 25-Jan-13 15:46:01

country dd is allowed to eat as much/little as she wants of whatever she wants. We encourage her to make healthy choices andshe understands the effects of different foods. She is a picky sod ever since having tinned sausage n beans/ chicken nuggets/ smiley face potato things at friends houses. But she was bound to discover those things sometime. So we figured the bbest thing was not makea big deal about food of any kind so that it didn't become an issue. Nowshe's 13, I'd say she was a bit worse than average, but nowhere near as bad as the kids that have been really restricted. At least she quite often chooses to eat fruit and veg without being beaten about the head with a chair nagged.

JuliaScurr Fri 25-Jan-13 16:11:38

dd just got in and pointed out that our impression of her friends being less picky than her is because when they eat here they try to be polite - but dd swaps bits of food with them and eats the bits they don't like (we're not always in tthe same room)

At other peoples' houses she seems to eat what is put iin front of her.

I can't see how deciding what she will eat for her helps her learn to make good choices in the future

AmberSocks Fri 25-Jan-13 16:17:22

if you offer kids a bit of everything they will get all the nutrients they need.its more important what they eat over a week or a month not a day.

skullcandy Fri 25-Jan-13 16:29:06

judgey food police need to have a child with a food phobia.

Then they will truely understand that a child eating SOMETHING/ANYTHING is something to celebrate.

right now if i could get my food phobic DS (who is off what little food i can get him to eat because of a cough/cold) to eat a fucking chocolate biscuit or anything with ANY calories in before i lose him down the plughole i would be running around with my shirt over my head celebrating.

JuliaScurr Fri 25-Jan-13 16:39:16

skull give him a Mars bar and a camera
<waits for pics>

countrykitten Fri 25-Jan-13 18:11:46

Not sure if anyone was talking about kids with SN such as being food phobic. That is clearly a different matter.

Julia - of course you decide what your child eats. You buy the food don't you? Therefore you are deciding what she eats - every parent does. My two are vegetarian because that is how we eat in our house - other families bring up their children eating meat because that's what they do in their house. I think that you grossly underestimate the parental influence on a child's diet.

Food phobias are irrelevant unless a child has a phobia about an entire food group - in which case, time to seek help.

I fail to see how giving said child a chocolate biscuit helps.

PickledInAPearTree

A daily biscuit of bag of crisps in the lunchbox is not occasional.

JuliaScurr

I have no doubt that if you force a child to eat boiled-to-death vegetables and under-ripe fruit whilst simultaneously forbidding all junk it is more likely that the child will learn to binge on sweets at every available opportunity.

By contrast, if you provide a young child with well-prepared food, thus encouraging them to appreciate and develop a taste for healthy food, it is much less likely that there will ever be a problem.

This should be painfully obvious.

trixymalixy Fri 25-Jan-13 18:46:26

Food phobias are irrelevant unless a child has a phobia about an entire food group - in which case, time to seek help.

I fail to see how giving said child a chocolate biscuit helps.

What an ignorant post, it's no wonder you fail to see how giving a chocolate biscuit will help. clearly you are absolutely clueless on the matter of food phobias or issues.

Several people have posted saying they have underweight children with food issues or restricted diets and that the advice given, in my case from a dietician, is that any calories are better than no calories.

Lavenderhoney Fri 25-Jan-13 18:46:43

How do you know what the child had for breakfast? It's not my choice of snack for me or the dc, but then neither is rice cakes and fruitsmile but you can't really judge. Maybe that's all that was left in the cupboard before doing a shop?

Maybe the child was being rewarded for good behaviour with whatever they wanted for a snack? Maybe it was mums snack too? Maybe she knows you are a bit judgey and was having a laugh?

Rice cakes are horrible anyway. Just toast some whole meal bread and cut it into squares if you want to give a filler.

skullcandy Fri 25-Jan-13 18:54:37

"and that the advice given, in my case from a dietician, is that any calories are better than no calories."

bingo.

from dieticians and GPs alike in our case - At that age WHAT they eat is not important, you can deal with that later, whats important is that they eat!

You have years to stress about instilling healthy eating habits.

crisps, biscuits and biscuits in moderation do not make a fat 3yo, they dont make a fat 6yo either, trust me, because both of those food are a mainstay of my Ds's 'acceptable' foods and you could use him to light a fire with, there is not a spare ounce on him!

Not really bingo.

I can see the logic in an injection of emergency calories when a child isn't eating at all, but that is a different scenario to the one I addressed.

By the way, I'll freely admit to inexperience in dealing with phobias and other food issues. Perhaps if I'd handled my children's diet differently I would have gained some experience.

trixymalixy Fri 25-Jan-13 19:17:30

By the way, I'll freely admit to inexperience in dealing with phobias and other food issues. Perhaps if I'd handled my children's diet differently I would have gained some experience.

What an arrogant horrible thing to say. My child's diet problems are related to multiple severe allergies. Wouldn't you be scared of eating if your experience was that frequently food hurts you?

As I said, clueless and extremely ignorant posting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now