(139 Posts)
scrummummy Fri 18-Jan-13 20:19:26

this article in jezabel

jezebel.com/5977025/unhappy-with-your-gross-vagina-why-not-try-the-barbie

who in their right mind

recall Fri 18-Jan-13 20:21:40

I know, getting your labia cut off....fuckin stupid

pamish Fri 18-Jan-13 20:27:52

It's taken ten thousand years of civilisation to get here.

urgh... i'm cringing at the thought... i don't want anything sharp down there, thanks very much!

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 20:29:40

I.......... have no words.

Is this really what we want for the next generation of women? Monthly arse bleaching, half your vulva chopped off, rip all the hair out every so often, stick some glitter and "fragrance" up it to get it looking and smelling like a stocking filler rather than a genital area.

I feel like flashing my aged fluffy bits up and down the highstreet to help "renormalise" things.

scrummummy Fri 18-Jan-13 20:35:39

I though the athletic comment was funny.

They're there for a reason (I dunno what it is but our bodies must have decided they are necessary).

discorabbit Fri 18-Jan-13 20:38:11

i thought the athletic comment was right odd!

i'd hate to mess with my bits, i'm sure mine wouldn't win prizes but they do the job they are designed to do and any messing might mean they don't work as well. not really worth the risk for vanity before even thinking about other reasons why women would be tempted to go for it.

fluffyraggies Fri 18-Jan-13 20:47:35

Are there any men getting a 'bollock lift', smoothing those ugly, prunish testicles?

Thought not hmm

FarrahFawcettsFlick Fri 18-Jan-13 21:00:04

..."An unobtrusive vulva that's becoming increasingly minimalist"

Sounds like I should be calling John Pawson to re-design my floosey.

<goes off to call World of Interiors to do a feature 'spread'>

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 21:00:45

fluffyraggies

Scrotum lift

grin well you did ask!

OneWaySystemBlues Fri 18-Jan-13 21:06:01

It seems odd that on one hand people, rightly, object to female circumcision, which is deemed necessary in some cultures for marriage and sex (i.e. to please men); yet in our culture some people are prepared to do this to themselves - again to please men - and don't see the irony. It is crazy.

Naysa Fri 18-Jan-13 21:09:02

Howling at the scrotal lift!

Can't imagine anyone going down there. I don't even lie my DP's head down there let alone a doctor with a knife!

scrummummy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:09:29

how about scrotum removal the ken look... and bits extensions. If men want our lippy bits removed for their esthetic lets switch it round and demand that they have the dagly wrinkled sack sliced off for that pristine ken look.

then we can have a reality tv show about kens meeting barbies in their weird little worlds where genital uniqueness does not exist

Cortana Fri 18-Jan-13 21:26:16

This blog seems to be doing a lot of good work, helping women normalise their own bodies rather than a surgical ideal.

Link from original article, does have pictures of vulva. Obviously not a link to click if you're sitting with DC.

meadow2 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:31:24

I had it after childbirth first time.I was under general and had no pain.Was definitely worth it

ThePathanKhansWitch Fri 18-Jan-13 21:37:25

I am flumoxed, ffs they give birth, give and recieve pleasure, self cleaning now my genitals have to look pretty?

<faints at arse bleaching>

Cortana Fri 18-Jan-13 21:44:48

Do you mind if I ask what made it worth it for you Meadow?

confusteling Fri 18-Jan-13 21:48:21

I had that a couple of years back for medical problems. Was very hard to get and involved a few consultants discussing it. Very very painful but so worth it for the end results, no more severe pain down there! Would never suggest it as a solution to thinking you have an ugly foof but mine does look a lot tidier without four inches of cracked, bleeding and semi transparent skin hanging from it!

CunningPlan Fri 18-Jan-13 21:48:43

Anyone else noticed that almost none of those pictures features any pubic hair? Is it really that common these days?

meadow2 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:51:31

After my first baby they didnt stitch me and my entire labia on one side ripped off/in two pieces.

As they forgot to stitch it, it then couldnt be repaired so I had to go back months later and be put under general.I now have no labia on one side but the procedure didnt hurt and no loss of sexual pleasure etc.Much better than before as it was really irritating and kept getting thrush, and then it got all swollen as it was hanging down, and Im glad they sorted it for me.

Loquace Fri 18-Jan-13 21:51:41

If men want our lippy bits removed

But do they ?

Is this a "thing" now where b/f pull back saying "OMG no barbie bits, no bonking!"

Or is a doctors creating a "need" put of thin air andnpushing it like some kind of ideal none of us knew even exisited ?

I know the op has been around a while. Some women probably do benefit from a reduction for comfort reasons and asthtics if proportion is normal, but still on the far larger side of normal thannthey are happy with.

But Barbie? Promoting a "clam shell" ?

Sounds like profit margin motivated to me. Create a need where none was before and make a mint.

confusteling Fri 18-Jan-13 21:52:09

I never had mine completely cut, just enough that there's no protrusion at all. They did a clitoral hood trim as well although that wasnt entirely my decision!

SirBoobAlot Fri 18-Jan-13 21:53:57

That blog is wonderful smile

Haberdashery Fri 18-Jan-13 21:55:42

>> They did a clitoral hood trim as well although that wasnt entirely my decision!

Genuinely aghast at the cheery exclamation mark at the end there. Someone who is not you is taking decisions about your genitals?

fallenangle Fri 18-Jan-13 21:56:21

cunning yes pubic hair seems to be endangered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now