To be a traditional sahm ??

(864 Posts)
ProudMum4Eva Wed 02-Jan-13 22:16:39

I personal have never been flamed for my choice in life, however I see many people who continuously get some sort of insult for their life choices. So here I thought I would share all for the first time.
I am 34 years old I got married at 18 straight from college. I am happily married with five wonderful children who I adore and do everything for. I have NEVER worked (outside the family home) my DH has always worked. He works traditional hours leaves about 8:10 mon-fri and is home for around 5:30. I do everything in the home cleaning, cooking, bathing the younger children, ironing and so on. I dote on my children and my husband. I love it they do not need to help me in the house I look after them and that is what I am good at.

FreudianLisp Wed 02-Jan-13 22:28:55

SanityClause, grin

AmandaPayne Wed 02-Jan-13 22:29:03

Not being rude, but if you want to talk about being a SAHM, why not start a thread about some aspect of being a SAHM. The threads for working mums are normally about some specific aspect of their lives.

WorraLiberty Wed 02-Jan-13 22:29:08

OP lots of us are SAHMs, we just don't feel the need to post about it I suppose unless a certain subject arises.

What makes you think SAHMs don't post a lot?

StuntGirl Wed 02-Jan-13 22:29:19

Are you new here? SAHM's post ALL the time. You just wouldn't know because they don't announce it unless its relevant to the post.

Cerealqueen Wed 02-Jan-13 22:30:19

Fine for you maybe but by doing everything for your children you are hardly enabling them to fend for themselves, as some stage they will have to cut the apron strings and learn about life themselves. Just saying.

FabulousFreaks Wed 02-Jan-13 22:30:42

This subject has become an obsession on MN

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Wed 02-Jan-13 22:30:49

I don't see why you would say that, the responses haven't been rude at all. Pretty much everyone is saying,

a) that you can do what you like
b) that they don't care
c) that it is possible you are trying to provoke people

A few including me are saying that
d) saying that your children might benefit from chores.

Boringly polite IMO.

sweetkitty Wed 02-Jan-13 22:31:42

Good for you if your both happy about it.

I'm a SAHM too, I do not do everything for my DC though, I'm their mum not their servant. I'm glad I had a career preDC though, I enjoyed living somewhere completely different and doing different things.

WorraLiberty Wed 02-Jan-13 22:31:43

Oh and I look after my children the same as WOHMs do, except I wouldn't do everything for them as that wouldn't turn them into particularly useful adults.

Each to their own though.

kilmuir Wed 02-Jan-13 22:32:33

Blimey, nasty people. why the attack on the OP?
Nothing she said was aimed at anyone, or slagging those off who chose a different life to hers.
bitchynet strikes again

DeafLeopard Wed 02-Jan-13 22:33:07

"I was just reading through some threads and saw a lot of advice for Working mums so was reaching out to other SAHMs to talk about it"

So what aspect do you want to talk about?

I've spent 8 years as a SAHM - my career chances are fucked now, I've been out of my profession too long so things have moved on and by the time my youngest has left f/t education I will be too old to retrain.

AmandaPayne Wed 02-Jan-13 22:33:21

What do you mean SAHM's don't post a lot? They do, all the time. I am currently a SAHM (name change a lot though). Various other people I remember mentioning it when relevant.

Do you have something you actually want to discuss?

kilmuir Wed 02-Jan-13 22:34:14

saying " i don't think anyone else gives a fuck tbh' is rude

lovelyladuree Wed 02-Jan-13 22:34:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Pascha Wed 02-Jan-13 22:35:09

I am a M. Whether I WOH or SAH is irrelevant.

StuntGirl Wed 02-Jan-13 22:35:32

Yes OP what aspect of being a SAHM do you want to discuss? There are lots of ladies in the same position, I'm sure they'd be happy to talk.

Fakebook Wed 02-Jan-13 22:35:55

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

saying " i don't think anyone else gives a fuck tbh' is rude

But true, probably.

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange Wed 02-Jan-13 22:36:06

kilmuir I think that is on response to the idea that we all sit around waiting to slag off SAHM. That is insulting too. BTW, I've done both and didn't feel half as judged on here as a SAHM. There are people who do that, "I don't know why people have children to let other people bring them up" crap.

camgirl Wed 02-Jan-13 22:36:10

There's nothing traditional about sahm at all! Traditionally,poor families all worked, mums included, and rich families paid others to do everything you describe, from cooking to cleaning to child care. So it's lovely that you are happy with your role, but it's the life equivalent of a 1950s 'little box.' (Nothing wrong with these of course, I live in one myself..)

ZebraInHiding Wed 02-Jan-13 22:36:46

If it works for you guys, that's great smile

ProudMum4Eva Wed 02-Jan-13 22:37:12

MrsTerrysChocolateOrange - No my children do not have any jobs in our home. I believe children are only children for a short time and should be able to be free and enjoy it. smile

StuntGirl Wed 02-Jan-13 22:37:17

It's not rude Kilmuir, it's a fact. Do you give a toss how I spend my hours? Thought not. It's just not relevant really is it?

I have never given the subject much thought. Each to their own etc. But it does seem like an obsession on MN, together with State v Private education.

We are all grown ups and should do whatever we like......

FabulousFreaks Wed 02-Jan-13 22:37:31

Aren't you all bored of repeating the same tired bullshit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now