To think it's a bit odd that colleague isn't buying his DD Christmas presents?

(159 Posts)
PurpleTinsel Tue 11-Dec-12 11:58:31

I have a colleague who's first baby (a DD) was born about 6 months ago.

This will be her first Christmas. We were talking about Christmas yesterday, and colleague said that he and his DP are not buying their DD any Christmas presents at all because she's too young to appreciate Christmas.

I can understand not making a big deal about Christmas for a baby - but the idea that they're buying no Christmas presents for her at all, not even one small inexpensive present, surprised me.

Colleague is well paid and his family celebrate Christmas.

AIBU to think that this is odd behaviour?

Awww I think it's nice to have a little something to mark babies first christmas. DD1 was 9 months at her first one and had a special teddy bear and a rocking horse.

DD3 is going to be 4 months old this Christmas and she has much more including a stocking but this is mainly to stop a barrage of questions from DD1 who is now nearly 6.

honeytea Tue 11-Dec-12 13:00:56

YABU

Our baby is due any day now last bloody saturday we have wrapped up some 2nd size vests (that we had bought any way) and some teddies that we have been given to put in a stocking for the baby but only because my little sister will be staying with us and she is still a "believer" so father christmas needs to bring something for the baby.

the only other gift we have bought for the baby is a fill in baby book but we would have bought him one anyway we only wrapped it up so there were more pretty pressies under the tree :9

GreenPetals Tue 11-Dec-12 13:03:43

Also the reason why I did christmas for my dcs is because I wanted them to be part of that celebration, regardless of whether they 'realized' what was going on or not.
dc1 was 3 months on his first christmas and had nice time playing with all the wrapping papers. The grand parents were delighted to see him 'play' with toys they had chosen for him.
dc2 was 7 months and apart from the fact there was no way he would not have had presents (because his db wouldn't have understood), he is still playing with some softs he got on that day. And again he got to be really part of chritmas.
Not a second class member of the family who doesn't need to get anything. Does anyone really 'needs' what they get for christmas anyway?

YoHoHoAndABottleOfSherry Tue 11-Dec-12 13:14:05

We didn't wrap anything up for DD1's first Christmas (she was 2 days old), but we had just bought her pram, carseat, cot, clothes etc etc etc, we just didn't wrap them up and then unwrap them again.

For DD2, who was 6 months at Christmas, we did buy several presents and gave her a stocking, for the benefit of her elder sister, who wouldn't have wanted her baby sister left out. DD2 was of course none the wiser, but I did enjoy choosing things for her nonetheless - she has so many hand-me-downs it is nice to have an excuse to get her something for herself.

SantaFi Tue 11-Dec-12 13:21:34

We didn't get anything for dd1 on her first Christmas (also 6 months old) she got presents from her grandparents, aunts, friends etc. For dd2 (8 weeks at Christmas) we wrapped up a book she got when she was born, only so dd1 wouldn't be arsey. Our dd3 (10 months last Christmas) only got 2 small things wrapped up. We only got her those so her two older sisters wouldn't get all hard done by on her behalf grin

Time enough to be tearing your hair out over Christmas presents when they can actually mark the Argos/Smyths book.

GreenPetals Tue 11-Dec-12 13:30:27

sadsad at some these posts.
I love choosing the right present for family/children, the one I know they will like.
Whether they are 2 months old or 90yo (with dementia) or anything in between, I do it to see the smile on their face.

Not because it's christmas, I have to or because they will remember about it.

JenaiMathis Tue 11-Dec-12 13:32:26

I have no idea if I bought ds a Christmas present or not tbh (it was 12 years ago).

I was a bit daft so it wouldn't surprise me if I did but I can't remember for love nor money what is was.

<ponders>

YES! I gave him a play mat that he never really bothered with.

<rests easy>

WhatsTheBuzz Tue 11-Dec-12 13:33:44

yabu dc3 due this week and won't be getting presents for christmas, unless you count vests and sleepsuits.

FunnysFuckingFreezing Tue 11-Dec-12 15:42:24

Christmas is no time to be sensible people. That's the point, you act frivolously because you have the excuse to. How boring to be sensible all the time. Incidentally DS1 still has his 2005 'babies first Christmas' teddy. He still loves it but would have had it if I had been sensible!

LtXmasEve Tue 11-Dec-12 15:45:36

People who are feeling all sad for the poor deprived babies should note that almost everyone who didn't bother has said that other people did buy presents for the children.

DD has no memory at all of her 1st or 2nd birthday or 1st Xmas, but loves the photo we have of her sat on her cousins motorbike at Xmas, and the photo of her scoffing (head first) birthday cake on her 1st birthday.

She knows exactly what she got after that though (materialistic!)

AmberSocks Tue 11-Dec-12 15:48:41

i have an 8 week old and i have bought him lots,but most of it is useful stuff he will use in a few months like funky sippy cups and bowls,cutlery,bibs etc.I have bought him lots of clothes and the only toy things ive bought him are a lamaze rattle and one of those black and white cloth book things.I wouldnt think someone unreasonable for not buying anything tbh,i just like buying stuff and we can afford it so its not something i think about too much!

Pandemoniaa Tue 11-Dec-12 15:51:44

ds2 was born 10 days before Christmas. We only bought him a token present for ds1 to give him. If he had been ds1 (iykwim) we wouldn't have bought him anything. As it was, he did very well from gps despite the fact he hadn't the faintest idea it was Christmas and slept or fed his way through it.

MrsHoarder Tue 11-Dec-12 15:51:59

Ds is7 months and is getting some cheap bath toys (to throw at Daddy), a story book, a blanky teddy and a walker truck full of blocks. Oh, and I've made him a stocking.

That feels right, nothing extravagant, a couple of things we would have got him anyway and a couple of things that will grow with him.

missoldPPIlongstocking Tue 11-Dec-12 15:56:59

YABU I didn't bother last year (3 months) and tbh I'm barely bothering this year!

StrawberriesTasteLikeLipsDo Tue 11-Dec-12 16:07:10

My DC2 will be 4 days old on christmas day, we have done him a stocking of small presents consisting of clothes for christmas day and boxing day, Teddy from his big brother (sentimental item as same range as DS's special bear), First christmas Bauble and photo album plus a Music toy, musical tambourine and musical Keys. This is because we wanted to and can afford to. If others cant afford to or dont want to that their business, we haven't spent much and the toys will not be used until later in the year, but it didnt feel right to exclude Dc2 from christmas day.

We have no expectations of family to buy him anything though, and the same goes for new baby gifts as we know most peoples finances are stretched at this time of year. My only hope is that people still buy a card as these are a nice keepsake for baby.

I don't have a problem with anyone buying or not buying for their very young DCs. I did buy for my oldest because it was just me and him and I couldn't bear the thought of not celebrating Christmas with someone, but it was a "selfish" reason and he didn't really get anything out of it. After that we had to buy for teh younger children, more for my oldest than for them. I know people who haven't bought preents for their children for the first few years as the children get enough from other people. Each to their own.

pictish Tue 11-Dec-12 16:18:39

My friend isn't buying anything for her 8 month old baby dd. Same reasons. Can't say I disagree with her.

They probably will buy her something to open, but she'll be far more excited about the wrapping paper.

SweetMingePie Tue 11-Dec-12 16:24:09

YABU, perfectly acceptable. Ds3 was 4 weeks old for his first Christmas and got nothing as he didn't need anything. Other people bought him gifts, fair enough.

Individual choice, does not make him a bad parent.

zlist Tue 11-Dec-12 18:00:47

YABU
We didn't buy DS (5mo at the time) a present for his 1st Christmas either. He had plenty from other people and predictably was more interested in the wrapping paper anyway.

Hulababy Tue 11-Dec-12 18:03:50

I would find it unusual as everyone I know has bought gifts for babies. I certainly did - DD liked the wrapping paper best probably! It wouldn't have felt right for me not to buy her a gift for her first Christmas. Heck, I was loving the chance to do so if I am honest.

But each to their own.

LaCiccolina Tue 11-Dec-12 18:05:30

Weird!!!! Defo NBU!

Yes I'm sure they buy stuff on an average weekend for the baby when necessary, so why wouldn't u buy it something (even necessary items like vests?!) on a special day like Xmas? All u gotta do is wrap the darn stuff up? Hardly hard is it and ur missing out on lovely photos....

Dunno I could view them the same again. Just odd isn't it?!?

BinksToEnlightenment Tue 11-Dec-12 18:09:53

I think YANBU.

I wouldn't necessarily buy a present they'd appreciate, but surely a six month old would need something they could wrap up for her?

A new outfit? A bowl and spoon? A pack of nappies? Anything?? Wrap any-fucking-thing up so you aren't Scrooge Mum.

It's their FIRST Christmas!!!

Dear me.

StuntGirl Tue 11-Dec-12 18:12:16

Completely off topic but I love that honeytea's militant vegetarian/animal rights activist sister also still believes in Father Christmas. So grown up yet so innocent! grin

Karoleann Tue 11-Dec-12 18:19:00

YABU
We didn't buy anything for DC3 at christmas or for her first birthday and asked family not to buy anything either. We were living in a smaller house than we are now, we had hundreds of toys from her elder brothers and no room to store anything else.
We did have the issue of older brothers saying why didn't father chistmas get baby XXX anything.
She's not getting that much this year either, and I've asked my family to get her one big thing between them.

MrsDeVere Tue 11-Dec-12 18:21:57

I always do. It would seem odd for me not to.
But I understand perfectly why other people don't.

Its not an issue really is it? Do it, don't do it. Whatevs.

The weird thing is the sad faces for poor deprived babies and the 'how ridiculous to buy a baby a present' type reactions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now