...to think my MIL is amazing?

(199 Posts)
victoriaplum01 Tue 04-Dec-12 21:28:55

There, I've said it. The woman is a saint. Am I the only person who has a lovely MIL?

victoriaplum01 Tue 04-Dec-12 21:50:56

Mrsrupert I must tell my MIL the same thing!

RubyGates Tue 04-Dec-12 21:51:21

Another extra-fab MIL here. And a wonderful ex-MIL.

My own Mother however.......

My MIL is lovely, but unfortunately she is in a home and losing her marbles is a bit batty bless her.

Sunnywithachanceofshowers Tue 04-Dec-12 21:52:48

I love my MIL. I'm so glad to have her in my life.

Nanny0gg Tue 04-Dec-12 21:53:04

I'm sure your DH's wife is wonderful, victoriaplum. After all, you like his mother!!

catus Tue 04-Dec-12 21:53:05

My MIL has many faults, but I genuinely love her. She has a very good heart.

nearlymerrychristmasbutnotyet Tue 04-Dec-12 21:53:21

Mine is a swearword I'm not going to say on here beginning with C wink, she was a rubbish Mother now a rubbish Grandmother and has never met some of her Grandchildren, her loss.

GreatCongas Tue 04-Dec-12 21:54:48

I have a fab one too

My only complaint is that she can be a little too lovely and efficient and shows me up completely smile

Dawndonna Tue 04-Dec-12 21:57:22

Mine's a pain in the arse. She's clever, funny, generous, a great cook and is always insistent that I not only have a lie in when we're at hers, but that I have a proper rest, don't do any cooking, washing, ironing.
<sigh>

grin

AnameIcouldnotthinkof Tue 04-Dec-12 22:00:05

My MIL is amazing too. She is much nicer than my mad mother.
She has all 14 of her GC at hers for Xmas dinner and cooks for all of us, she has also invited my younger DB and his DCs to hers this year as well.
She will always take the DCs if we need her too.
grin

MerryChristMoose Tue 04-Dec-12 22:01:00

Mine is lovely. She used to be a matron at a prep school and has such a lovely way with children. Her first grandson is now in his 20s (son of DHs brother) and I think she thought we were never going to have kids.

We FaceTime two or three times a week. DS (11 months) has his own email address and he "sends" his Granny B pictures and messages of what he's been up to.

When we first got engaged she jokingly asked if I was pregnant. When DH said no her reply was, "now there's posh!"

It's been a tough year for her as her husband has recovered from bladder cancer, has two cateract operations (she has to drive him evrywhere) and is just about to have a hernia OP. Her best friend died of cancer a couple of weeks ago.

She's got a "pass" from her husband, so we've paid for her to fly Business Class to us in Canada for Christmas and DS's first birthday. She's soo excited!

KitchenandJumble Tue 04-Dec-12 22:01:42

What a nice thread. smile

I have nothing but respect for my MIL, who has lived through some truly harrowing experiences and come through a strong and independent woman. TBH, she isn't always the easiest person to get along with, but I admire her greatly. She's in failing health at the moment. It's very painful for the whole family, especially my DH (her only child).

victoriaplum01 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:05:37

My MIL is the model of efficiency too, which a few years ago would have irked me (we've had our moments in the past), but now I'm older and wiser, I'm happy to let her do what she does best. DH got made redundant when I was pregnant with DD2 and he fell into a bit of a rut. We had loads of jobs that needed doing in the house, so she came round and cracked the whip. Within two weeks we had both DD1 and DD2's bedrooms decorated, new carpet laid, furniture cleared, garden tidied and dinners made. I cried. I really did.

Merrycuckingfistmas Tue 04-Dec-12 22:06:44

That's how I feel greatcongas grin

amillionyears Tue 04-Dec-12 22:07:22

Mine is nice so long as you dont want to ruin her routine. Then she gets into a big flap.

victoriaplum01 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:08:10

Moose that sounds lovely - I hope you have a wonderful time with her. What a fantastic treat for you MIL too smile

Whatdoiknowanyway Tue 04-Dec-12 22:39:32

I love mine. She's always been good to me. When my mum died she phoned me every day to make sure I had someone to talk to.

magimedi88 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:42:31

I am about to be a MIL & I just hope I can be as good as some mentioned here. I keep my mouth shut, I do not talk & I try to support. I love my ADIL (Almost Daughter In Law) & think she is the best thing that has ever happened to my son.

Any advice welcomed!!

victoriaplum01 Tue 04-Dec-12 22:48:02

magi Congratulations and errr...good luck! I think us DILs can be tricky species esp. if you've only had boys (although if you've got a DD she may/will moan to you about her MIL so you'll know what to avoid!). I'm sure you'll do a great job, and don't forget to let your DIL know that you think she's the best thing that ever happened to your son (and don't critisise her for not ironing his boxer shorts...my MIL has finally accepted that I don't iron anything, but it took a while wink )

Cyclefaster Tue 04-Dec-12 22:49:29

Love my MIL despite separating a year ago from XDH. She always rings for a chat. Has kids overnight or two to give me a break. She's fab. My only concern is she wants to take them to Glastonbury festival. They are 4 and 6 ??!!! Maybe when they 30!&#128512;

TranceDaemon Tue 04-Dec-12 22:50:45

Mine's great, love her to bits. Only gripe is that out of 5 grand kids, DS is the only one not to stay over. She said no when I asked her. Not sure why? confused

ViperInTheManger Tue 04-Dec-12 22:56:04

I am quite jealous of all this. I grew up in a very friendly part of the country and some of my ex-boyfriends had lovely mums. I always assumed I would have that kind of relationship with my MIL but DHs family are more reserved and I do feel we have missed out.

Consider yourselves lucky!

I have been known to gripe about my MIL - have even started the odd thread here about her but on the whole she is lovely and compared to some of the MILs I've read about on here she is an absolute star. When I was ill she was very helpful and when DH and I were going through problems she refused to take sides when it could have been so easy for her. She can be frustrating at times but I'm sure I can be too and her kindness outweighs her faults.

nikcname Tue 04-Dec-12 22:59:34

Lovely thread! Can we include what people would like in a MIL? Have 1 Ds and will be one at some point. Would like to be a lovely one!! grin

KatzGold Tue 04-Dec-12 23:07:28

Mine was fab, she sadly died 8 years ago, she was a fab mum, mil and nanny. It would have been her birthday soon and I miss choosing a present for her, equally i miss her everyday. She never got to meet dd2 but they would have got on like a house on fire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now