AIBU to breastfeed my toddler in public?

(368 Posts)
RainbowsFriend Mon 03-Dec-12 21:10:14

My 18 month DD still breastfeeds a lot. Day and night, if I'm around and not at work.

I don't have a problem with this, (although I would like more sleep! grin) but it's increasingly becoming awkward when out and about, as toddlers don't cuddle in nicely but squirm and pop on and off a lot.

Today we were in a garden centre cafe, and having polished off most of her lunch, half of my sandwiches AND most of a flapjack, DD wanted mummy milk.
So I obliged. As discreetly as possible with one top up/ on top down, DD tucked in under my jumper and facing a wall.

Then all I can hear is the group of mums on the table behind me saying "it shouldn;t be allowed when they're that age - they should be down to morning and evening feeds MAXIMUM - in fact they should be on formula/cows milk by 6 months/a year" etc. There were about 5 mums all loudly discussing it....

I think my daughter should be allowed mummy milk for as long as she wants it personally. She's not still going to be feeding aged 8 - and she's only 18 months now! I am getting VERY fed up with stares when this happens and really don't want to be confined to the house. I could ask her to wait, but she doesn't really understand that yet - and just asks louder and louder grin

So WIBU to feed her in public?

HardWorkerNotAFool Tue 19-Mar-13 09:20:49

Who gives a crap about when the thread was first started? hmm Doesn't mean that it's no more relevant today.

"Zombie thread" or not, OP, YWNBU. I fed DS until he was 16 months old and he stopped of his own accord. I still miss breastfeeding him and would have happily continued for much longer. In fact, DS is now almost 4yo, and my breasts are STILL producing milk!

pigletmania Tue 19-Mar-13 07:35:16

Yanbu at all but mummy milk does sound a bit twee, I prefer breastmilk

xMinerva Tue 19-Mar-13 06:51:56

Oh and just realised it's a Zombie thread

Sorry blush

xMinerva Tue 19-Mar-13 06:51:08

Oh and my son used to ask for "boobie" in public.

Bet "mummy milk" sounds better now doesn't it. wink

xMinerva Tue 19-Mar-13 06:50:09

I fed my ds2 in public whenever he wanted it & he fed until very recently. He's 2 1/2yrs old now.

It didn't occur to me not to feed him when he wanted. I never got anyone comment either.

People who think it's a bit "yuck" or "icky" or "sick" to see a human toddler being fed human milk in public are probably a bit "sick" themselves.

YANBU.

MyShoofly Tue 19-Mar-13 01:59:14

I didn't bf either of mine and I still think YANBU at all. I don't get the judgements many are making on here....toddlers are so young - why deny them this source of comfort and excellent nutrition if they want it and if mum wants to give it just because some people are wired about breasts?

those woman were rude to make loud unsolicited comments.

msjones80 Tue 19-Mar-13 00:36:11

Of course you arent! You're doing something wonderful for your son and if the rest of the world has a problem with it, it's "their" problem.

Psst, a scarf helps wink

Tancub Mon 18-Mar-13 23:04:23

YANBU. Keep going for as long as you and your little one like. Nothing wrong with 'mummy milk' either in my view.

I sat and listened to my boss slag off mothers who bf their toddlers to colleagues. Even though it wasn't directed at me as I'm quite sure she didn't realise I was still feeding 20mo back then, it's not easy to ignore people when they voice their opinions so loudly about something so personal.

I also don't understand why some people think because a child can ask for it they shouldn't get it. Does this apply to other things, like a sleep, a drink, a cuddle?

idshagphilspencer Mon 18-Mar-13 21:11:43

zombie thread

Mother2many Mon 18-Mar-13 21:05:00

Don't let these people bother you...your child is what's important.

I also bf in public and I did up until my child was almost 4!!! My family gave me the biggest issues, but I could care less what other people think!

In fact if I were you, I would of turned around and let them have a good look! or I would of at least said something to them.

At your toddler's age, I was bf ALL THE time too!!

Proud of ya!

chubbychipmonk Sat 16-Mar-13 21:32:44

Ah, just realised its a zombie thread. Means its way old & been dealt with. Look at the date it was first posted.

DrCoconut Sat 16-Mar-13 21:14:11

DS asks for booby now. He will be 2 in a few weeks time.

MrsMoosickle Sat 16-Mar-13 21:03:42

What's a Zombie Thread?

chubbychipmonk Sat 16-Mar-13 21:00:21

Ermm. . Not feeling breast feeding an 18 month old, kinda makes me squirm a bit & personally I wouldn't do it. . .

HOWEVER if I was in public & saw someone do it I wouldn't be so rude as to stare & then discuss it loudly so that the mother could hear me. That's just fucking ignorant. I'd have turned round & told them to mind their own bloody business unless they needed some extra milk for their tea!!

Littlefish Sat 16-Mar-13 20:52:57

ZOMBIE THREAD
ZOMBIE THREAD
ZOMBIE THREAD
ZOMBIE THREAD
ZOMBIE THREAD

raisah Sat 16-Mar-13 20:42:27

I do still feed my 2 yr ds out & about discreetly & no problems so far. I have tried weaning her off but because I work f/t its been hard. She sees it as a bonding time for us as we've been separated during the day. It makes her happy so Im happy to oblige.

wreckedone Sat 16-Mar-13 20:27:36

YWNBU. My nearly 22mo still nurses morning and evening and in between very rarely if he's hurt himself badly or is ill. I nursed him at playgroup yesterday as he'd been belted round the head with a wooden bus and had a fit as a consequence-got some very odd looks off other parents, but couldn't care less. We also call it Mummy Milk-milk from cows is Cow Milk, so milk from mummy is Mummy Milk....

Dannilion Sat 16-Mar-13 19:22:26

Oh yay, this thread again...

TranceDaemon Sat 16-Mar-13 19:07:56

I think the people who think feeding an 18 month old BABY in public is 'icky' shock are the same people who argue that there's nothing wrong with page 3...

Messed up world or what.

idshagphilspencer Sat 16-Mar-13 17:47:28

zombie thread

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 16-Mar-13 17:46:42

Sod everyone!! I am bf a 2.3 and she asks for mummy milk. Hate the bloody 'they should be on formula' Comments. All mums and babies are different, there is no 'should'

ebwy Sat 16-Mar-13 14:30:54

oh... that'll teach me to read to the end... sorry, didn't spot that it's a zombie thread!

ebwy Sat 16-Mar-13 14:29:54

you aren't being at all unreasonable, OP, but you already know that.

My toddler still has a bottle sometimes and no-one comments - how is it any different?
Humans produce breast milk for up to 8 years for a reason!

(and if anyone thinks I'm one of those judgemental people , I couldn't bf my first for medical reasons, and my 2nd child refused the breast when he was nearly 3 months so now he's on formula )

INeedThatForkOff Sat 16-Mar-13 10:15:05

Why bring up an old thread to say so, StillRockin? You could always have made your announcement in a new thread, over on ... oh I don't know, the feeding threads.

hmm

idshagphilspencer Sat 16-Mar-13 10:13:57

zombie thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now