Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

"It should punch you round the face, with a little kiss after", oh you reckon, Jamie Oliver?

(224 Posts)
Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 18:39:16

"It should punch you round the face, with a little kiss after"

Jamie Oliver's BBQ sauce recipe.

Fuck off Jamie.

Just looking for offence all the time then?

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:33:02

YankTee grin

Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 20:33:43

Nope, not looking for it all the time either.

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:36:36

OP Do you really think that Jamie Oliver was implying that it is ok to punch his wife in the face and then kiss her better?

StickEmUp Thu 29-Nov-12 20:37:38

Im sorry but when women get branded over emotional and highly strung i never wonder why anymore.
Yes, i am a woman.
It was a phrase, it didn't mean anything. If it was mike tyson that said it, id get it.

peasabovesticks Thu 29-Nov-12 20:37:53

The OP has said she is a DV victim and she didn't like the phrase. I think it's wrong to start cross-examining her...

Fakebook Thu 29-Nov-12 20:37:56

puds11 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:51:07
Thanks Katie i haven't seen it, and think i might avoid it now.

Just because he said something that was taken out of context?

hopkinette Thu 29-Nov-12 20:40:04

It's a fucking stupid turn of phrase but JO is an utter cock, so no big surprise.

Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 20:41:07

Kittyfane I think Jamie Oliver - or whoever wrote the script - thought he/they were being edgy, contraversial.

Like all the Rihanna - Chris Brown stuff.

Giving DV an 'edge'.

Like the previous poster pointed out how Jamie habitually says 'pimp your salad' as it's become normal parlance. Nice edgy imagery eh?

MmeLindor Thu 29-Nov-12 20:41:16

Why is it 'professionally offended' to comment on an unfortunate turn of phrase.

No, I won't be boycotting or staging a protest, but it is OK to say, 'here, Jamie. That was not good imagery'.

Particularly in a week where DV has been highlighted in the press, and the seriousness of it emphasised. I read this week that in some areas of the country, one in five police call outs is to a scene of DV. One in five.

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:41:27

peas As I said, I am no stranger to DV. I am not offended. OP is offended. Are we not allowed to question why when she has asked AIBU?

YABU

Sorry, I forgot to put that.

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:44:51

OP : Giving DV an 'edge'.
He was talking about FOOD.

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 29-Nov-12 20:45:06

I doubt Rihanna thought she'd give chris brown an edge when her face was battered. I would of thought having said you'd been in a DV sit you would have sympathy for the poor girl.

MmeLindor Thu 29-Nov-12 20:45:32

The OP has been called 'professionally offended', a sheep, and has been told that threads like this are the reason women are called 'highly strung' and 'over emotional'.

It upset her and she wanted to discuss this with others. It would be good if we could do this without calling her names.

peasabovesticks Thu 29-Nov-12 20:45:32

Tbh KittyFane1 you seem intent on doing more that simply questioning her. You've made your point several times loud and clear. There's no need for grin and suchlike on something as sensitive as dv. You should know better than most that people have different responses and triggers to their experience.

GrannyRat Thu 29-Nov-12 20:45:48

Bloody hell, this thread is depressing. I fail to see how you can equate what he said in ralation to FOOD to domestic violence. Sometimes people just look for things to be offended by.

LadyBeagle Thu 29-Nov-12 20:46:08

Oh for FFs.
It was a bit of pretentious chef speak, which is suddenly being taken out of context and suddenly we have Jamie Oliver supporting DV?
I agree with KittyFane1.
And I despair.

Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 20:46:56

Ineeda - I have colossal sympathy for Rihanna. I get the feeling her life isn't in her own control.

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:47:47

peas: you seem intent on doing more that simply questioning her
Please quote me.

I find it ridiculous and I have explained why.

RonnyJotten Thu 29-Nov-12 20:48:26

buy one of his books '15 mins meals' my arse ,

InNeedOfBrandy Thu 29-Nov-12 20:48:37

I really don't see how you can say one minute she's giving DV an edge and the next you have sympathy for her angry am leaving this thread now, to close to the bone for me.

StickEmUp Thu 29-Nov-12 20:49:17

mme i stand by what i said. I was talking in general. And threads like these do look overdone.
A thread like this might have fared better in chat.

It is unreasonable to have an overblown reaction.

It is however, understandable.

peasabovesticks Thu 29-Nov-12 20:49:21

Nobody is saying he's supporting dv.
The most anybody has said is that it's an unfortunate turn of phrase.
Why do people have to exaggerate in order to further their arguments?

JustFabulous Thu 29-Nov-12 20:49:29

Those of you who have said it has "domestic violence connatations" are you implying Jamie was thinking about DV when he said it?

I suspect he was engrossed it what he was doing and was just being enthusiastic about the food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now