"It should punch you round the face, with a little kiss after", oh you reckon, Jamie Oliver?

(224 Posts)
Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 18:39:16

"It should punch you round the face, with a little kiss after"

Jamie Oliver's BBQ sauce recipe.

Fuck off Jamie.

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 18:40:23

Oh God no. Where there really no people with their brains switched on at the product development meet?

I wondered where my BBQ sauce was going wrong. My local asda were out of punches round the face...

peasabovesticks Thu 29-Nov-12 18:41:58

That is a very unfortunate turn of phrase hmm

I love Jamie but this series is making him look a right tit, what happened???

Rachog Thu 29-Nov-12 18:44:36

I like this series but agree that was a stupid thing to say. Much prefer Jamie to Nigella and the crap she comes out with.

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 18:45:48

Speaking as one who was once with a 'man' who used to hit then kiss, I just cannot remove my cats bum face at this silliness....

puds11 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:46:29

You are kidding me!!!! Where was this said? I had a guy tell me a domestic violence 'joke' the other day. Needless to say i was not amused.

Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 18:48:58

puds He just said it on his C4 15 Minute Recipes programme tonight.

puds11 Thu 29-Nov-12 18:51:07

Thanks Katie i haven't seen it, and think i might avoid it now.

realcoalfire Thu 29-Nov-12 19:14:48

I think you need to stop taking everything so literally.He is describing a strong flavour with a sweet after-note, not telling male viewers to beat up their wives

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 19:22:44

No of course he is not 'telling people' to beat up their wives'.....But it is imagery loaded with offensiveness.

FermezLaBouche Thu 29-Nov-12 19:25:10

God he's a bloody idiot, isn't he? He's just....dim! What a stupid turn of phrase.

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:30:09

I'll translate.
He was talking about Food
A punch in the face > punchy flavour that hits you when you take a bite.
Little kiss afterwards > sweet, subtle taste afterwards.

Domestic violence? You have got to be joking. The context in which it was said makes the meaning obvious. Why insist on taking it out of context/ taking it literally?

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 19:33:02

I do not need you to translate. The context is not relevant here. The analogy is not uncommon in DV.

TwitchyTail Thu 29-Nov-12 19:33:57

It's an unfortunate turn of phrase, but not as unfortunate as the incessant playing of "Buffalo Stance", his forced ageing cheeky chappiness, and blatant product placement of Uncle Ben's.

KittyFane1 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:38:06

mignonette Of course the context is important.
It's just an expression. "It punched me in the stomach"
Not literally obviously.

larks35 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:40:59

KittyFane1 - "Domestic violence? You have got to be joking. The context in which it was said makes the meaning obvious. Why insist on taking it out of context/ taking it literally?"

I totally agree, I do think if you look hard enough you can take offense at almost anything anyone says and if people try too hard to avoid giving offense we would live in a very boring society.

However, what come's out of Jamie's mouth at the best of times is a load of old twaddle. His recipes are good but I can't stand his TV persona.

Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 19:41:39

Well, realcoal and Kittyfane, I've racked my brains and I can't think of any other instance where one might dish out a punch, followed by a kiss.

What he said has distinct DV connotations, like it or not.

larks35 Thu 29-Nov-12 19:43:00

Greg whatsit on MasterChef uses those sort of expressions too, I think he does to hide the fact that he doesn't really know that much about being a chef.

zookeeper Thu 29-Nov-12 19:44:53

Of course it has domestic violence connotations. Not funny at all.

Katiekitty Thu 29-Nov-12 19:45:03

Kittyfane you said: It's just an expression. "It punched me in the stomach"

And would you follow that up with "It kissed me in the stomach"?

Never heard that saying before.

Where else might a punch be follwowed by a kiss?

To my mind, DV.

Sorry you don't like the connotations of what Jamie Oliver said.

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 19:45:22

Still racking my brains too, Katie....Must have been those punches/Kisses that addled it.

mignonette Thu 29-Nov-12 19:46:19

JO can't help being too dim to understand the connotations................

MmeLindor Thu 29-Nov-12 19:49:16

Jamie Oliver uses lots of colourful phrases and imagery. This one definitely is loaded with DV connotations.

The language used in everyday situations is important, as it creates a culture where telling 'jokes' about giving the wife a slap if she doesn't have the dinner on the table is seen as acceptable.

It normalises domestic violence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now