Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be annoyed at how some people slag off the NHS?

(295 Posts)
snowtunesgirl Wed 28-Nov-12 16:45:55

No it's not perfect but I'm still grateful that we have a National Health Service where if you need an ambulance, they don't first check you for Health insurance.

A friend of mine wasn't feeling well and had a bad experience with his local GP where he's not registered and for some reason they wouldn't let him temporarily register as an emergency. Therefore, he had to go the Walk-In Centre which was about an hour away.

It turns out that he has an ear infection and tonsillitis so felt pretty rotten but he's making out that he was on death's door and is banging on about how the NHS is shit because the first doctor wouldn't see him. He's also saying that lots of people die on the NHS every day due to neglect. I'm not saying that this doesn't happen but surely it's more of a rarity than the norm?

I've had some shitty experiences with the NHS but on the whole a REALLY positive one. I think it's a shame that all the bad bits of the NHS gets reported in the papers and somehow all the good stories never do. sad

MrsBungleBear Wed 28-Nov-12 17:46:01

I agree OP.

I had one bad experience on the NHS involving the birth of my first DC (a decision made by one doctor - the rest of the care surrounding my birth was good). I had an apology from the hospital concerned.

My mum died from cancer 4 years ago and the treatment she received from oncologists, palliative care, GP and district nurses was second to none. The support they put in place allowed her to die at home where she wanted to. All that without having to worry about how we would pay for her treatment. I can't imagine people going through that sort of thing and either not being able to pay for it or worrying about how to pay for it.

It might not be perfect all the time but I am very grateful for it.

x2boys Wed 28-Nov-12 17:46:05

it is nt just the conservative government who have sqeezed resources for years labour were cutting down units frezzing posts i blame the nhs big bosses they should start casring about patients again not box ticking and putt money available directly into patient care get rid of several tiers of manage ment which frees up money for essential staff like nurses and doctors.

EuroShagmore Wed 28-Nov-12 17:47:35

There are other models of healthcare provision that are not the NHS and not the US system. I've lived in two Continental European countries and received healthcare that I considered to be superior to the NHS care without the harshness of the NHS system.

Dead69Girl Wed 28-Nov-12 17:48:32

Completely agree

NumericalMum Wed 28-Nov-12 17:49:36

How much did you have to pay for those Euro?

scarletforya Wed 28-Nov-12 17:53:46

YANBU

I sometimes throw my eyes up to heaven reading the whinges people have about the NHS. You don't know how good you've got it.

Come to Ireland and pay €55 per GP visit, pay through the nose for every bit of medication you need, pay for private healthcare. Pay for everything!

I'm often aghast at the way the NHS is taken for granted. FREE MEDICATION, FREE GPS VISITS, FREE TREATMENT! <faints with jealousy>

higgle Wed 28-Nov-12 17:57:41

In my experience NHS staff feel it is quite OK to give sloppy shoddy service because it is "free". Politeness and good customer service cost nothing. I feel continually anxious that we can no longer afford private health care insurance and suspect I am not the only woman who does not go for screening when it is offered because a dirty van in a car park does not seem to offer much dignityor respect.

mosschops30 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:02:00

YABU - and i work for them!

They treat their staff like shite
Dont give staff even basics with which to work
Some practice is dodgy - i am currently in a legal battle over medical negligence.

So YABU but at the point of need they are mostly excellent and we are very lucky. Like all other things experiences vary and you cant compare yours with others

purpleraindance Wed 28-Nov-12 18:21:30

how is the nhs supposed to cope with themillions of £'s spent on foriegn treatment? watching the documentary opended my eyes as to how many peope that are not uk residents come here to access free medical care - this needs to stop x-(

Doubledouble Wed 28-Nov-12 18:27:17

Snowtunes what did they do for your flat feet? I have them and didn't know they could treat it... Just thought it was something I had to deal with forever!!

And yes the NHS is fab and we are lucky to have it! I've had nothing but good experiences to be honest.

thebitchdoctor Wed 28-Nov-12 18:28:36

Thankyou OP. I work in the NHS and the current government are bringing it to its knees. Most of my colleagues join my fear of what we will be faced with after the ConDems are finished with it.

And we don't feel happy to give shitty service because its free because a) what a rude thing to say and b) it's not free! My hefty tax bills and other taxpayers pay for the NHS. It's free at the point of delivery and that fook for that

thebitchdoctor Wed 28-Nov-12 18:29:09

*thank, not that

lashingsofbingeinghere Wed 28-Nov-12 18:31:32

If you want to see how US style healthcare can bankrupt a family, read So Much for That, a novel by Lionel Shriver.

ENormaSnob Wed 28-Nov-12 18:31:48

I work for the nhs and my trust is in massive danger.

I think the hospital will close. A truly frightening prospect considering we are always full to capacity. Where will these patients go? Other hospitals are also full and struggling.

We do near on 8000 deliveries per year, our nnu is full to bursting. Our 50 bedded pn ward always over 90% full. We barely manage the numbers we have. Who will take these mums and babies? 2 local maternity units closed last year already. If ours closes too the effects on matenity care will be catastrophic.

I fear for the overall future of our nhs, I really think its dying.

grovel Wed 28-Nov-12 18:33:11

thebitchdoctor, do you feel that the NHS is well run or ever has been in the last 20 years?

badfurday Wed 28-Nov-12 18:37:10

I work for the NHS and am proud to be part of an excellent team who really work hard to provide the best care possible for our patients. I haven't really been on the receiving end of of NHS care, so cant comment on that. What I do know is if I or a loved one were in a serious car crash or had a bad illness, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. We have some of the best Hospitals and expertise in the world as far as I'm concerned, and this is something we should be proud of.

I would say NHS staff are made up of two types, you have the ones who stay late, walk to the hospital miles in the snow when you cant drive in and generally bust a gut, then you get the ones who think the world owes them a living and really don't see the bigger picture. It costs nothing to be nice to people. I always put myself in the patients position and try and imagine what they are going through and how I would like to be treated.

3monkeys3 Wed 28-Nov-12 18:39:58

The NHS is a wonderful thing. I've had good and bad experiences over the years and I think it is fair to remember that, just like in any profession, some doctors/nurses/midwives/etc are better at their jobs than others. My dd was quite seriously poorly as a baby - she was misdiagnosed by the first consultant we saw as he was too busy bullying a student to look at her properly and her condition was significantly more serious and life threatening than the first diagnosis. It took a while and a lot of hospital admissions but we finally got to the bottom of it and the experience we had with the team who handled her eventual diagnosis and surgery were wonderful. Ultimately, all her appointments, tests, X-rays, scans, treatment, surgery, after care........was free and that is the reason the NHS should be protected and appreciated.

mymatemax Wed 28-Nov-12 18:42:08

we should value & protect our NHS.
My son has received first class care from numerous professionals and departments since his very prem birth 10yrs ago. He received world class life saving treatment & continues to do so, for FREE!
He is disabled & recently soem of the services he recieves have been contracted out of the NHS to be run by a profit amking company. We have already seen cuts & a reduction in service which is already ahving an adverse effect on him.

Sirzy Wed 28-Nov-12 18:44:06

There is no such thing as a perfect health care system and like any the NHS has faults which can cause problems from the little niggles to loss of life and people are right to be annoyed when these things happen.

That doesn't change the fact that it helps a lot of people, and its services are misused by a lot which makes it so the resources need to stretch even further.

I will be eternally greatful for the NHS staff at the local hospital who saved DS life by acting in seconds of us walking into A and E.

Pyrrah Wed 28-Nov-12 18:44:07

There are other systems beside the NHS and the US system. Much about the NHS is good (fantastic acute care) and much that is bloody awful (care for chronic conditions).

I wouldn't be without it, but that is no excuse for complacency or for not looking to make changes where necessary. I also wouldn't be averse to some kind of fine for people that miss appointments. Makes my blood boil to wait 4 months for a consultant appointment, have it cancelled 5 times and when I finally see them after 7 months find out that 110 people missed their appointment in that department in the last month.

Most of my family and DH's immediate family work in the NHS from senior consultant level, GP, Registrars, Speech Therapists, Audiologists, Nurses, OT's etc so I have a fairly good idea of what goes on.

I've also seen just how crap BUPA can be - seriously not worth the premiums unless very cheap via work.

So I think you are being a bit unreasonable - the NHS has turned into a bit of a sacred cow.

It's also interesting that the UK have one of the lowest government spends on health care in terms of per capita payments.

Flossiechops Wed 28-Nov-12 18:45:09

I agree with thebitchdoctor, this government are bringing the nhs down on its knees. I have been a nurse in the nhs for 17 years, did you know that Virgin healthcare have won a contract to provide district nursing care in some parts of the country? There is no doubt it will be privatised. I am not proud of working for an organisation than is working its staff to breaking point, I am on the brink of going off with work related stress. I had a patients daughter screaming at me the other day threatening me with going to the press and suing me for neglect, all because there aren't enough front line staff to deal with the increasing needs of an elderly population.

CarlingBlackMabel Wed 28-Nov-12 18:45:10

I can honestly say that every experiecne I have had of NHS care has been either satisfactory or exemplary.

It hasn't always been to my liking, but when I have been kept waiting or appointments for surgery cancelled I know the reason has been sound and to do with priortising emergencies. That's what I mean by satisfactory.

Desperate - you had a terrible experience, and I am sorry, and of course you should complain and get a meaningful response to your complaint. None of that should have happened.

SofaKing Wed 28-Nov-12 18:48:51

I've just come back from a 10 day hospital stay and am on medication for a neurological condition. I had no idea I was ill and was rushed to hospital after my eyesight started to fail in one eye.

Everyone I met in both hospitals I stayed in was outstanding, men and women utterly dedicated to patient care, kind, competent, and working up against it every single day.

I've also had bad experiences on the nhs, when having my DC, but I think so many failings are due to lack of funding and poor management, and doctors, nurses, and patients will be the ones who suffer.

Thebitchdoctor your post makes me so sad. HCP's are going to suffer most of all, and take all the blame when things go wrong, which is inevitable when working under such pressure. I hope they will be forced to realise nhs cuts will cost lives before its too late.

Oblomov Wed 28-Nov-12 18:50:16

snowtunesgirl, I think that many of us could afford insurance if we absolutley had to. I value the NHS service highly. You don't get it in many other countries. We give free care , i.e in and a&e situation to anyone, no matter if they are a national, on holiday, foreigner or whatever. Maybe we shouldn't. Maybe we should ask if they have insurance.
Some people can not afford insurance. some of very minimal income. But many could. I would have to cut back. We could all spend a little bit less on ourselves or less money on our childrens xmas presents. If we HAD to. I mean if we had to have insurance, because the gov made it a new law. Then I certainly would cut back on something, to be able to afford to have the insurance, to get the equivalent of the serrvice that I currently get on the NHS.

Wouldn't you?

purpleraindance Wed 28-Nov-12 18:50:50

the way we can protect the nhs is by NOT spending millions of pounds a year treating non uk patients. put that money back into treating uk patients. we are the only country that treats anyone who wants it - human rights & all that rubbish :-(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now