Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hate 'fluffy' speak?

(94 Posts)
ItsNovemberFFS Fri 23-Nov-12 09:07:33

Stop referring to my DH as 'hubby'.
Stop referring to my DD as 'bubs'.

Side note: Learn to put apostrophes and commas in the right place.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Tue 27-Nov-12 12:19:24

Noooo you didn't offend me smile tbh I agree with you. If you are brave enough to say the words then that's a good thing. I am a lot braver now, I can say them if I want too. I just hate them.

Nivet Tue 27-Nov-12 12:21:05

My sister says "lully" instead of lovely and her and her DH call each other Mummy Pig and Daddy Pig.

I am desperately searching for evidence that she was adopted. grin

MoetEtPantsOn Tue 27-Nov-12 12:24:37

My little man

<itches eyeballs>

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Tue 27-Nov-12 12:25:50

Ickle man is worse. Jesus that makes feel violent.

mignonette Tue 27-Nov-12 12:28:54

It is so hard Everlong isn't it? Not looking forward to Christmas this year.

EverlongLovesHerChristmasRobin Tue 27-Nov-12 12:44:40

It is.
As a very good mumsnetter friend says ' Christmas is another day ' try and keep that in mind. We always put a candle next to his photo on Christmas day. The first Christmas after he died we even had a bloody place for him at the table! We laugh about it now smile
Just do what you can to help you through xx

mignonette Tue 27-Nov-12 12:47:37

Thank you and love to you Ever

MuckingFunter Tue 27-Nov-12 16:33:29

I find the endless anachronisms pretty bloody loathsome to be honest - horses for courses and all that.

Busybusybust Tue 27-Nov-12 16:40:17

I have a colleague wo is about as fluffy as it is humanly possible to get.

She calls me 'hunnybunny' - which makes me feel stabby.

She also insists in writing with pink gel pens.

rubberglove Tue 27-Nov-12 16:51:29

However, fluffy talk to babies originated from music, when language was music. They learn pitch, tone and harmony first.

Those that want language to be literal are left-hemisphere dominant. Illusion, metaphor are vital for human expression.

rubberglove Tue 27-Nov-12 16:55:51

And yes, alternative phrases for death, can be rich in meaning. Of our hopes and beliefs for something other, something beyond.

Theicingontop Tue 27-Nov-12 16:57:20

My SIL is so, so unbearably guilty of this. It makes me dry heave.

Also; preg, preggo, pregs. Aggghhh.

rubberglove Tue 27-Nov-12 16:57:31

I talk fluffy to babies, because they are programmed to respond to that type of communication.

Mrsjay Tue 27-Nov-12 16:59:40

ach i dont mind it I dont use a lot of it I will punch you if you call me Babes or hun though grin

Mrsjay Tue 27-Nov-12 17:00:45

She also insists in writing with pink gel pens.

with little hearts on the i grin

LDNmummy Tue 27-Nov-12 17:13:14

Ever your post is the most touching thing I have ever read on MN.

It also reflects exactly what I was trying to say. For me, when someone 'passes on' they are still with us but in another way that may not be tangible, but still very real. To me, your family setting a place for your son that first Christmas makes sense in its own personal way.

I think all the people who love me, and that I love, are with me always and never 'die'.

MumsGoToReykjavik Tue 27-Nov-12 17:18:27

I use this kind of talk to my 15yo neice but I only do it to make her cringe and say "really" while doing this face -> hmm

MumsGoToReykjavik Tue 27-Nov-12 17:20:43

Agree with MaMaPo about the DC/D-everything thing. Dry heave inducing.

MumsGoToReykjavik Tue 27-Nov-12 17:28:28

Feel very insensitive now, had only read first page.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now