To wish people wouldn't hold my baby's hands

(187 Posts)
anicegreentea Mon 19-Nov-12 11:44:44

especially at this bug ridden time of year.
I keep telling myself not to be uptight and just go with the flow. You can't stop people cooing over cute babies.
But yesterday lady in department store came over to talk to him, holding both hands for ages. Then he grabbed her pen which she thought was cute/funny. I didn't say anything - what can you say anyway?!
Today he has vomiting, temperature, runny nose. I know it might not have been from this lady, but also It might have been!
Also had uncomfortable incident when an old lady who looked almost homeless did something similar in marks and spencers a few months ago.
Do these things annoy anyone else?!

anicegreentea Mon 19-Nov-12 12:32:17

To those who are objecting to the phrase "almost homeless" would you prefer I said "dirty"? I didnt think it unreasonable to think a dirty person with grubby looking hands and clothes with holes in them might be homeless. I guess I added "almost" as I couldn't be sure. She could have just been an unclean wealthy person. I apologise to any homeless people. Some of you i am sure are very clean.

missymoomoomee Mon 19-Nov-12 12:34:57

You sound thouroughly charming from your last post op, don't worry I'm sure your winning personality will keep the baby invaders away.

MardyArsedMidlander Mon 19-Nov-12 12:35:37

Perhaps you should ask to see someone's mortgage statement before they touch your child?

No doubt the OP will shortly be posting 'WHy o WHy is this country so unfriendly to children? Why are we not like Italy or Spain?????'

TeentheBean Mon 19-Nov-12 12:35:54

YABU, could say more, but I would not be able to stop! If you were to read it I might be brain washing you and then you would pass on nasty thoughts to your DS. Mind you, he grabbed her pen, did she call the Police? No, that would be over-reacting..... oh, hang on!

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 12:38:01

I love holding a baby's hand or stroking their hair. I do it a lot.

I am extremely clean though wink

anicegreentea Mon 19-Nov-12 12:39:03

My last post was slightly Tongue in cheek , slightly serious. I did mean the phrase 'homeless' probably was a bit unfair.

WileyRoadRunner Mon 19-Nov-12 12:39:44

Hmmmm YANB totally U. I don't like people touching my children...they are not babies but my youngest is loved by grannies everywhere!

I'm don't know why I don't like it though, it's not because I'm overprotective or because of the germ thing. I just don't.

You could just leave the raincover on to guard against random almost homeless people wink.

becstargazeypie Mon 19-Nov-12 12:45:38

Wow, how unpleasant! Firstly, having done a few volunteer shifts in homeless shelters may I please let you know that you can't tell whether someone is homeless from looking at them. Most homeless people wash just as frequently as those who have a home. They have to go to a lot more effort to do so, but they do. Plenty of dirty people live in big houses and plenty of clean people queue at the Sally Army for food.

Secondly avoiding common germs is not healthy. Just look at what happened to the Native Americans when the Europeans arrived in North America. Children need to meet common germs. I disagree with the suggestion to use antibacterial wipes on your baby's hands. Just bath once a day, and wipe off with water and baby soap if absolutely necessary.

ICBINEG Mon 19-Nov-12 12:46:56

I HATED anyone touching DD hands because she HATED it. She would always pull away and cry. It's not that she hates strangers though...she would do the same thing if I tried to hold her hands too.

Some babies are born with a strong sense of personal space it turns out...so on the basis alone I would say keep off!

KellyEllyChristmasBelly Mon 19-Nov-12 12:53:21

You do realise that your child needs to build up a healthy immunity, and exposure to everyday germs and people who are possibly homeless is quite normal.. << THIS

SoupDragon Mon 19-Nov-12 12:54:20

I keep telling myself not to be uptight and just go with the flow

Keep repeating this to yourself.

SantasStrapOn Mon 19-Nov-12 12:56:44

What is it with all the weird threads lately? hmm

StuntGirl Mon 19-Nov-12 12:57:50

Yabvu. What do you think he's gonna catch, ebola?

toofattorun Mon 19-Nov-12 12:59:12

YANBU. I completely agree with you. Yuck. People should keep their hands to themselves. Really unhygienic.

ReindeerBollocks Mon 19-Nov-12 13:00:47

Unless there are immune deficiency issues then yes, its a bit weird to avoid strangers who may hold your baby's hand.

When babies get to the age where they're at their cutest (think about 9-18 months) they are usually putting everything and anything in their mouths. It's probably more risky for the stranger than your baby tbh.

This is just something that has never occurred to me, even when my own were babies.

Hemlet Mon 19-Nov-12 13:03:05

Bloody hell, if strangers tried to touch my baby uninvited I'd slap their hand away! Piss off away from my child!!! Germs or no germs.

PeppermintPasty Mon 19-Nov-12 13:05:33

StuntGirl not ebola, -homelessness.

Hemlet Mon 19-Nov-12 13:07:35

Oh, and OP you are NOT being unreasonable and in all honesty I'm surprised that so many here don't mind strangers touching their children whenever and whereever they want.

LadyBeagle Mon 19-Nov-12 13:08:40

You are being ridiculous Op.
There's germs around everywhere, the liklihood of your baby catching something from a woman with a pen? WTF.
It'll be a sad world when no one will be able to touch a baby's hand, maybe we should all only interact with people on the computer to avoid getting the plague, and never leave the house.

MardyArsedMidlander Mon 19-Nov-12 13:09:34

Er- we are talking about touching babies hands- not PAEDO mania.... hmm

FredFredGeorge Mon 19-Nov-12 13:14:51

YABU, sharing bacteria (both positive and negative) between humans is an essential part of being human - we all have billions of bacteria living on us most of them doing essential jobs - and they need to be shared around, it's almost certainly why there's an urge to touch babies to share that protectiveness.

FeckOffCup Mon 19-Nov-12 13:15:24

YANBU not to like it, I had no problem with people talking to and interacting with DD when she was a baby, touching made me a bit hmm when it was total strangers. I don't think it is OTT and hysterical to not want people you don't know who for all you know could have whooping cough, chickenpox or any other disease incubating in them which could be quite dangerous for a young baby.

NameGotLostInCyberspace Mon 19-Nov-12 13:16:32

My baby is asleep in the buggy now with a blanket over it. Nothing wierd just sleeps better in darkness.

YABabitU OP. Wipe his hands after. And don't ever take your baby to the ME/Africa as they LOVE to touch babies. smile

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 13:17:16

I had no problem with people talking to and interacting with DD when she was a baby

Very generous.

StuntGirl Mon 19-Nov-12 13:17:44

Aah yes peppermint, I had heard the WHO are thinking of reclassifying homelessness as a much greater disease threat. Gonna be bigger than bird flu, I tell ya.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now