Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

In thinking that good make-up is deceptive?

(220 Posts)

Well of course it's supposed to be. That's the whole point of it. Even very subtle make-up is worn to make us look prettier, younger, healthier. This morning, I was rushing around trying to get four DCs ready to get two of them to panto rehearsals, and then on to my parents house, yet I 'had' to find the time to put some make-up on.

I've been told that I am pretty, but it is all an illusion. I scare even myself with my bare reflection sometimes. I won't go out of the house without at least some concealer under my eyes, mascara and blusher. It makes me feel weird, almost naked. I would love to have the confidence to go make-up free, but the odd time I have been to work without a full face of slap, I have been questioned about the state of my health.

I have four DDs, and hope that at least one of them doesn't turn out as vain as her mother grin.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 08:57:17

Makeup actually does protect your complexion, foundation provides a physical barrier between your skin and the elements.

i love makeup. I am very pale with blonde eyelashes/bloodless pale lips. Would not wish to go out like that. Lucky you if your naturally gorgeous and dont need it. My bare minimum would be mascara and lippy, hurrah for being able to :-)

pinkdelight Mon 19-Nov-12 09:09:24

"there isn't a woman alive who doesn't look better with a bit of makeup."

I v strongly disagree with this and think a lot of women would look better without it, esp those who wear lots.

I wear it maybe five or six times a year, only for things like public speaking where the feeling of putting a mask on helps give me the confidence to do it i.e. something to hide behind before doing something scary - like an actor getting into a part. On a day to day basis I don't feel the need to pretend to look like anything other than myself, which is what I feel like the OP is kind of getting at. It'd be fine if it was a choice, but it's insidious and leads to an insecurity about how women actually look.

SorrelForbes Mon 19-Nov-12 09:09:37

My absolute bare minimum for facing the world is:

Touché Éclat
Mascara
Double Wear concealer

For work though, I tend to slap it on a bit more and to the above I add:

Skin illuminator
Foundation (but only where i really need it)
Grey eyeliner
Neutral coloured eyeshadow
Cream blusher

For nights out, I darken the eye makeup and add highlighter to cheekbones.

Can do full face in less than 10 mins.

I love make up but I also love not wearing it!

The only thing I won't leave the house without is eyebrow pencil as mine are virtually non existent and I have dark hair so really look odd otherwise. I keep a few lipsticks on the hall shelves and pop a bit on before leaving the house if I remember, but probably don't bother about half the time.

I have lots of it though and go through phases of wearing more and experimenting, then it starts seeming like a chore and I leave it off again for a few months. I can't say anyone has ever commented on how well or otherwise I look because of it. Wearing it less often makes it more of a treat when I have a night out. I do paint my nails most of the time though.

starsandunicorns Mon 19-Nov-12 09:26:24

I dont wear makeup only use moistour ( sp) on my face. I use lippy when on nights out working in warehouses most of my life i get dusty most shifts. Founation has always baffled me i also have mega red cheeks which always come through founation when i did try it in my teens. Though was told a few nights ago i was early thirtys !!! I hit 40 this yr

On a day to day basis I don't feel the need to pretend to look like anything other than myself

Good for you. However some of us do, for a variety of reasons. Wearing make-up, putting on that face, gives me the confidence to go out and face the world every day - I just couldn't do it without it. The only time I don't wear make-up is if I know I won't be leaving the house or seeing anyone, and that's rare

I do sometimes worry about what messages I'm giving my daughter (she's 3) but I figure it's better for her to have a mum who wears make-up every day than one who doesn't but has no confidence and barely leaves the house.

DappyHays Mon 19-Nov-12 11:02:59

10 mins for makeup? grin

I take 10-15 mins for my whole routine including shower, body lotion and hair drying!

Clinique No2 Toner (I know they don't call it toner but we all know it is)
Nivea Soft cream from a tube (£1 from Asda last time I bought it so got half a dozen)
If hungover a squirt of Beauty Flash Balm (doesn't work but the thought was there)
A brush of either Avon or Clinique minerals powder all over face
Benefit Dallas worn as blusher
Mascara (can't remember which brand, it is in a fat yellow bottle)
Lip gloss

Good to go.

forehead Mon 19-Nov-12 11:17:24

I love makeup. I make no apologies for my desire to look good.
I have even told my dh that if i go before him, he must ensure that my coffin contains my lippy and foundation, as i want to look good when i get to heaven.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Mon 19-Nov-12 11:23:10

I have rosacea and am usually some combination of red, bumpy, pale and pasty. Mmm, nice. I don't wear make-up every time I step outside, but I definitely don't look well without it. I don't wear masses though - usually just BB cream, do my eyebrows and a sweep of powder. Then I look like a normal, healthy person who isn't wearing make-up grin

I am hmm with people who claim that no-one needs make-up. If you don't, then lucky you.

VonHerrBurton Mon 19-Nov-12 11:40:17

Classic example of ageing make up - Denise Van Outen on Strictly over the weekend. I know, I know, it was stage make up but she looked about 10 years older.

It's the eyeliner that does it. I'm 41 and have a close group of friends I've known since school and a couple of them still do their eye make up like they did 20 years ago - lots of it, black and coupled with lots of mascara. It looks fucking awful ageing and makes their eyes look tiny.

I have no choice but to wear make up to work - I know I look really good for my age with it on and I know I do it well. I work with young, gorgeous people and I think that's why my make up has moved with the times - I would stand out in a bad way if I still did 1990s make up.

I do think I look crap without it but over the weekends/days off it's none at all, or bare minimum, as I simply can't be arsed. It's the same with my hair - I know I go from chic to geek in between shampoos and styling, again, don't care when I'm off.

Bumblequeen Mon 19-Nov-12 12:05:44

vonherr I agree that some women look older due to wearing outdated make up- lip liner that is too dark against lipstick, heavy eye liner, pastel eyeshadow, heavy blusher.

I think the Duchess of Cambridge looks alot older than 29/30. It is not helped by the heavy black eye liner she wears.

ICBINEG Mon 19-Nov-12 12:16:19

hmm just 10 mins a day huh? So that is 48 days of my life I got back by not giving a shiny shit about 'looking the best I can'. (currently 35)

I like to think I spent that time with loved ones or on studying...but a lot of it may have been computer games and more recently MN of course...

I hate make up. I hate the idea that just because you could look better you should actually spend money and time doing it. That way leads to surgery and the rest.

Also it is a net zero sum...if everyone looks a bit better than it's not like your chances of pulling increase...you just spent money and time to stay still in the pack.

I think this is a situation like with fag advertising. When it was banned the fag companies all did better coz they weren't spending millions on keeping up with each other.

Women should do the same. Ban makeup and get our time and money back to ourselves.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 12:21:13

Ban makeup? shock

<faints>

MoomieAndFreddie Mon 19-Nov-12 12:26:54

some people look better without make up i think

i used to wear loads, now i just wear primer and a bit of concealer. if i am going out somewhere special i wear mascara but these days i hate the feel of it on my eyelashes and it makes my eyes feel itchy. IMO loads of make up actually ages me some people

mind you i have just had my eyebrow's tattooed on! grin (semi permanent make up) so feel a bit more confident bare faced now

VonHerrBurton Mon 19-Nov-12 12:30:08

Bumble your examples are spot on, exactly what I mean.

Light lipstick and dark lipliner - yee gods!

However I do see quite a few make up counter staff who still favour this look.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 12:32:07

Makeup counter staff often look horrendous! They must be forced to wear a certain amount of products, but wow it can be off putting.

MAC staff generally look better than most.

ICBINEG Mon 19-Nov-12 12:37:57

WTAF 40 quid on make up a week? that can't be right surely. That must be people who are heavily into the fake tan.

So lets go conservative on that one...and say 20 quid a week (I wonder if this includes haircuts?)

So as well as 48 days of time I also saved £20,000. whooop whooop

Thats like 10 times what I save by never entering the national lottery!

Do you still think we shouldn't ban make up?

ICBINEG Mon 19-Nov-12 12:39:47

Fecking hell thats a house deposit....

So every heavily made up woman of around my age that I meet could have saved up for house....

lubeybooby England Mon 19-Nov-12 12:41:10

I look absolutely fucking horrendous without make up.

I'd be much happier going without if I had nice skin, and eyebrows that actually showed up, but my skin is shite.

Its tone is uneven, pores too big, too many little pimples, really dark circles, sallow in places and pinker in places and oh, some lovely melasma as well. God it's awful.

Add to that that I have dark hair but my eyebrows are sparse and eyes piggy and it all adds up to a fright. I'd give myself 1/10 make up less and at least 6/10 with it maybe 7 on a really good day! grin I'm good at applying it and little tricks etc to improve on the not so great so it really makes a huge difference.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 12:42:44

I'd love to live a country that saw fit to ban makeup. Sounds like a fun place to live, all those freshly scoured faces.

Everlong Mon 19-Nov-12 12:44:32

I can't think of anyone who would look better without makeup.

I'm talking primer, foundation, blusher, mascara and lipgloss. All in a light and natural tone. It even skins, laminates, brightens etc. Even the most beautiful woman can be enhanced.

MulledWineOnTheBusLady Mon 19-Nov-12 12:45:57

While we're at it, let's ban cats. They piss me right off. People can't possibly like them because I don't, and think of all that wasted money on cat food and vets fees! Silly cat-owners! They could be buying more books instead, I like books.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 12:47:10

I want to ban football.

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 12:47:52

And joy, we could do with less joy in the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now