In thinking that good make-up is deceptive?

(220 Posts)

Well of course it's supposed to be. That's the whole point of it. Even very subtle make-up is worn to make us look prettier, younger, healthier. This morning, I was rushing around trying to get four DCs ready to get two of them to panto rehearsals, and then on to my parents house, yet I 'had' to find the time to put some make-up on.

I've been told that I am pretty, but it is all an illusion. I scare even myself with my bare reflection sometimes. I won't go out of the house without at least some concealer under my eyes, mascara and blusher. It makes me feel weird, almost naked. I would love to have the confidence to go make-up free, but the odd time I have been to work without a full face of slap, I have been questioned about the state of my health.

I have four DDs, and hope that at least one of them doesn't turn out as vain as her mother grin.

ILoveSparklers Sun 18-Nov-12 20:02:27

I can go make up free but I like looking awake and on the ball... Makes me feel more prepared i suppose.

GreatGardenstuff Sun 18-Nov-12 20:16:32

I really like nice make up, it's lovely stuff. I quite happily go without though, especially at the weekend, or if my skin is behaving itself.

For work I generally use:
Clarins beauty flash
Mac studio fix
Bobbi brown rose shimmer brick
Benefit browzings
Bobbi brown caviar eyeliner
Bobbi brown intensifying mascara
Job done.

Very rarely wear concealer, it always seems to draw attention to what I'm trying to hide. But maybe I've not found the right one yet...

ATourchOfInsanity Sun 18-Nov-12 20:19:47

I try to have a day at home without putting any one just once a week, but doesn't always work out.
I wear BB cream - foundation if I ever go out for a night on the town again which is starting to look unlikely
Concealer for under eyes
Mascara

And if I have time some nude eyeshadow and lipstick (trying to do more of the lippy recently as my friend always done and it really makes a difference once you start and get used to it).

I was told off at work once for 'not even bothering to do a proper face of make up' by a horrid HR lady. I was 19 and only really needed mascara and tinted moisturiser. I worked upstairs and never saw clients anyway! Felt funny about going out without anything at all on after that sad

Vivalebeaver Sun 18-Nov-12 20:22:55

I wear make up to work but don't other at weekends, days off. Will happily go out in the day without it to town, shops, etc.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

giveitago Sun 18-Nov-12 20:32:18

"Even very subtle make-up is worn to make us look prettier, younger, "

Younger? Really - one of the many reasons I don't put stuff on my face is because it's so ageing.

I remember once talking to a woman on a plane - she was with her family and they from southern europe. Dressed up to the nines all of them. her mum asked me to guess her daughters age and I said about 35 (I was about 32) - f'ck me she was 14 - bloody 14. I wasn't wearing makeup but I made up my mind there and there I'd never the wear the stuff.

Ovbiously they were very offended (so dom't ask if you you're not going to like the answer) and the mother of this girl was only about 2 years older than me and looked older than my grandma. Jeez that's what makeup looks like.

Can't stand the stuff.

Bit of moisturiser to keep the skin from drying out and everyone looks good. Face powder is the most odd thing ever and highlights all your wrinkles.

Giveitago, 14- that is shocking! But I did say 'good make-up' in my original post, meaning that which hadn't been applied by somebody trained in The Old Slapper's School of Beauty grin.

My best friend is worse than me, I went to visit her in hospital after an EMCS and she was sitting there with a full face of make-up including sparkle eyeshadow. She looked ready for a night out, except for the nightie and catheter. When she was a teenager, she heated some eyelash curlers using a hairdrier, and applied after using mascara. This resulted in her ripping out all if her top lashes!

squeakytoy Sun 18-Nov-12 21:39:08

I feel, (and know) I am less attractive without make-up, but it doesnt bother me. I dont go out of the house purely to be found attractive grin.

I would rather make more effort with my appearance just for nights out or meetings etc, where I either want to look attractive, or want to look as though I have groomed myself and look my best.

RawShark Sun 18-Nov-12 21:43:04

Sorry OP - what is your actual question? Wearing make-up is not a choice for me, I'm too disorganised. People are lucky if I've brushed my teeth grin

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 18-Nov-12 21:44:56

I have to wear it, i've always had a bit of roseacre, after 30 I got stupid acne and chicken pox, left me pitted and scarred, the had mental acne after stoping bf ds, now without make up I reckon I look like I've got bad bumpy sunburn,with make up I just look bumpy. (wow, I am really selling myself here!)

On the plus side I do have nice eyes, so and am able to do amazing stuff with lash curlers, eyeliners and sparkly shadows, enough I hope to distract from my terrible skin.

giveitago Sun 18-Nov-12 21:49:14

mOOMIN - ok she did have quite a bit of make up on but it was soooo sad as she was good looking girl but wearing loads of makeup and very sophisticated clothes.

Perhaps that's what it was. I never ever give an age to females from my dh's country.

However, make up is aging. Oh do the odd bit of concealing etc but honestly eyeshadow, lipstick and powder and actually mascara are horribly ageing.

Avoid. I'd advise a mosturiser to stop your skin drying out - and vaseline for lips and that's it. Mat skin is awful.

Apart from moisturiser I don't bother with a thing except vaseline to stop lips drying out. I don't look anywhere my age beause I don't have those lines on the forehead (yet) and apart from vaseline on lips I don't wear makeup. also don't wear sophisticated clothes and my hair is just simply tied back (horribly massive frizzy hair). The more styled the hair, the more makeup (particularly with face powder) and the more sophisticated the clothes means you're gonna looks quite old.

That's my view and I'd never have the time to put on makeup. Lipstick makes your lips look thinner.

OhTheConfusion Sun 18-Nov-12 22:05:09

I very rarely leave the house without make up... and when I do it is only to the car, bin, washing line etc blush

I moisturise after shower and try to leave it for a good 10min to set in as I have quite dry skin then I use...

porefection base
foundation
powder
highlighter
blusher
eyeshadow (light cream for a quiet day but more for a bigger day/night out)
eyebrow pencil (I have slightly lighter eyebrows than hair!)
eyeliner (only really nights out)
mascara
lipstick
lip gloss or tinted balm

I can do this in under 10min but would rater go without a million ond one things than go out make up free.

I cannot leave the house without make-up. Acne has left my skin scarred and marked and I have zero confidence without it. I wear moisturiser, foundation, concealer, pressed powder, mascara and eyeliner - all to look like I don't wear any make-up!

If I have loads of time or want to look more dressy I'll wear eyeshadow as well, and if I'm gothing it up I'll wear lipstick too. grin

rawshark- I was asking if by wearing make-up to improve our appearance, some of us are keeping the ugly truth a big secret.

I would love to have the confidence to just be me, but I feel so unattractive without my 'mask'. It shouldn't matter, but it does. Even more so at the moment, as I have a 7 week old baby, and could imagine people saying, "moomin's really let herself go since having the baby"!

pissovski Sun 18-Nov-12 22:42:52

I cannot leave the house without makeup. I have no confidence in my looks at all (combination of bullying at school and a mum who would 'mention' my looks in a less than enthusiastic manner) and hate even having to open the door to the post man before I am 'done'. The funny thing is that many people (who have obviously never seen me without make up) seem to be surprised when I say that I wear it everyday!

The basics for me (can be done in 10/15 mins)
Eyebrow pencil
pressed powder (very light - Collection 2000 is great for pale skin)
eye shadow (pale gold)
eye liner on lower lids (bronze)
Mascara (used on lashes curled with eyelash curlers heated with a hair dryer!)

If i look very pale/skin is looking patchy I will use tinted moisturiser. Concealer if spots are lurking. Never wear lipstick, just vaseline. Black eyeliner if going out.

With make up, I can pass with a push! Without horses would be scared!

BombayBlue Sun 18-Nov-12 23:56:25

I have awful skin, cycts with rosacea (thanks pcos!) as well as fair hair&brows and full skin color lips, so wear full makeup every day.
Primer
Double wear foundation
Mac studio fix powder
Eyebrow pencil
Neutral eyeshadow
Flicky eyeliner
Mascara
Posietint
Lip balm
It might sound a lot but it looks v natural and it makes me happy.
I don't feel right without it
Perhaps if I had good skin and better definition between features it'd be different...
V envious of you lot that are v lucky if you feel you don't need/want it

ErrorError Mon 19-Nov-12 00:22:32

Unfortunately for me, foundation only seems to fill in the cracks and highlight blemishes, and I hate heavy make-up so I try to use moisturiser, a dab of concealer, and translucent powder. Less is more for me. (I do have occasional annoying teenage style breakouts, so always carry a tube of freederm gel.)

rhondajean Mon 19-Nov-12 00:24:13

Wouldn't open the door without full makeup.

AudrinaAdare Mon 19-Nov-12 01:09:39

I wore full makeup from sixteen to thirty. Up until I was seventeen it made me look older and after that people would say, "Oh you look really young without your eyeliner", but I did go a bit heavy on it then...

I found wearing "natural" makeup every day to be incredibly useful when I started work. If I was feeling ropey I would leave it off and before I had even said a word my colleagues would be all, "you look really red-eyed and pale Audrina! Are you okay? :headtilt: and I would be encouraged to go home. Result.

brighthair Mon 19-Nov-12 01:37:14

I love doing makeup, I honestly enjoy it. My list of "basic everyday" would probably have most people keeling over but it doesn't look a lot
Basic everyday
Concealer, tiny bit of foundation, silica powder, blusher
2/3 eyeshadows, primer,gel flicky liner,mascara, brow pencil

As above poster said if I leave off makeup I get asked with the head tilt "are you ok, you look really poorly today" grin

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 01:43:56

Oh I do love makeup.

sashh Mon 19-Nov-12 05:45:05

It's a few years since I've worn it. I've never worn it day to day, just going out.

I've had the occasional make over when fashions have changed and I can put the stuff on, I just don't see the point.

Namechangeforapropertythread

Try the bodyshop, they will show you how to apply and tell you what the bare minimum is.

vvviola Mon 19-Nov-12 05:58:57

I've never quite got on with makeup. My Mum rarely if ever wore it when I was growing up, and I never learnt to put it on properly. Add that to not being a morning person and I just never got into the habit.

I used to keep makeup in my desk drawer for if I had important meetings but I never quite felt I'd put it on right. I'm sure it looked fine...

I was always looking for the 5 minute routine that I could do before leaving the house, but never found it so mostly never bothered.

One of the things I love about being a SAHM/student at the moment is not "having" to wear it.

I'd still like to find and perfect a 5 minute routine mind you grin

It baffles me that people feel they need make-up. It's actually kind of scary that these huge cosmetics comapnies have somehow managed to wrangle their products into common thinking as "necessary" for women.

YANBU, OP, make-up can be deceptive, as you look entirely different with or without it.

Personally, I think make-up feels horrible, is a chore to put on and really, I wouldn't look like me. I don't even own any.
Did laugh at someone upthread saying make-up "protects and improves your skin" - it does exactly the opposite! Water is enough to keep skin clean and healthy, it really is.

cashmere Mon 19-Nov-12 08:48:39

I look a lot better with make up. My essentials are BB corrector under eyes, mascara and pink blusher.
It doesn't take long and I do feel better with it but still only bother about 50% of the time. Can't decide if this is bad or good. I think it's something I should prioritise for my own self esteem, but I'm also pleased I'm comfortable enough to be seen without...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now