Aibu to think it's a bit rubbish to use "9.30 is so early!" As an excuse / complaint?

(185 Posts)
Cathycomehome Sat 17-Nov-12 21:21:15

Ds2 is to be Christened on Sunday. Some people who are distant, duty invites like cousins, have said it's too early as they are far away, and that's fine. But loads of other people, who are very local have said "9.30?!?! Seriously?? Well we'll try...." It's pissing me off.

McChristmasPants2012 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:04:57

I would go and would grumble about the time.

A christening isn't an excuss for a booze up

Cathy, you know very well the "party only" gang will be elbowing the vicar out of the way of the ham!

Last baptism I went to had a looovely cold buffet plus warm new potatoes (over a spirit burner like at a Chinese restaurant). Fabulous addition.

Bunbaker Mon 19-Nov-12 20:10:50

Excellent post Liege. I agree with you. It is about supporting your friends. I would feel pretty let down and disappointed because someone I thought of as a real friend couldn't be arsed to get out of bed a little earlier than usual for just one day.

I don't think I have any friends like that thank goodness.

Cathycomehome Mon 19-Nov-12 20:14:46

That's a nice idea, Horatia makes labels saying "potatoes for service attendees only" and "the mould sandwiches are for you lazy arses" grin

kerala Mon 19-Nov-12 20:17:05

I can see why they complained - but its rude to do it to your face. Some conversations should be kept within the four walls of your house grin

GrendelsMum Mon 19-Nov-12 20:35:20

I suspect it would probably be seen as ruder to say that it was too early to join a friend, than to say that you didn't think you could join in the church service as you were an atheist. One suggest that the service is unimportant to you, one accepts that it is important to the people involved and therefore that you want to take it as seriously as they do.

GrendelsMum Mon 19-Nov-12 20:36:03

p.s. Just knew you had a shared vicar in a rural parish as soon as you said 9.30am - we are the 11am village and I can't decide whether we have it good or bad.

ShirleyB25 Wed 21-Nov-12 15:04:35

Hi - I guess I'm alone here, but I don't that's early. For a Sunday. Or any day really. Our kids are up at 7am or before 7 days a week. No worries.

Hope your friend's aren't as lazy as some of the folk here!

Jins Wed 21-Nov-12 15:16:40

Think I may have committed the cardinal offence of suggesting I join a Christening party afterwards...

I don't do Christenings. I recognise that they are important for the parents and that they want friends and family there but it's not something I want to watch. However I have assumed in the past that if they asked me then they wanted me to be there so I've made excuses to the ones who would be hurt by my views on churchy things and been honest to others who wouldn't be bothered and suggested I join them afterwards. I've always told them not to cater for me but nobody ever does anyway - it's always a sea of gluten based carbohydrate.

So apologies if there's anyone on this thread that I've done this to smile

littlemisspoppy Wed 21-Nov-12 15:29:27

I dont think it's that early, and even if I did its a one off occasion so it wouldn't matter to me.

I start work at 8.30 every Sunday though so I guess I don't think the same as everyone else?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now