Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Miss Dickson Wright - what a nasty vicious racist woman she is!

(408 Posts)
vivizone Sat 17-Nov-12 01:46:11
Punkatheart Wed 21-Nov-12 17:29:25

Sending support and sympathy to Nailak. I am the daughter of an immigrant and have seen my poor mum try and fit in to the point where she almost denies her Indian roots. She came here at a time when abuse was prolific. I had some cries of 'paki' at school too - but it made me strong and proud of my cultural roots...but yes, Nailak, it can create an us and them feeling, which is counterproductive.

I also get very angry with certain attitudes, assumptions and repeating of Daily Mailisms.

Re tradtional dress - lots of people live in foreign countries and do not adopt the national dress. So what?

mignonette Wed 21-Nov-12 17:35:39

Punkatheart

That is so sad. I grew up in a Latin American country where I was the only blonde with ringlets and blue eyed child in the whole school. I vividly feeling very different but I was never made to feel inferior. I learned the language to the point of forgetting how to speak English properly and loved the food. But I was never made to feel that I should deny my roots and that a public acknowledgement of them would be interpreted as our failure to 'assimilate'.

Is your Mother now more comfortable about her family background? I do hope so.

we have to hope that as dinosaurs like CDW die out, not too many new ones replace them.

nailak Wed 21-Nov-12 18:18:51

^^I won't hold my breath, seems to be plenty of them on this thread

Frontpaw Wed 21-Nov-12 18:30:47

For every CDW there are ten thousand people who don't think anything like her.

Sadly it's the creakiest gate that gets the oil of publicity - like the eedjits we see crying out to turn the UK into a muslim state (there are about three of them in the UK but they are very loud). They are who the likes of the DM hold up as 'representative' - sheesh!

I think things have got nastier because of the wars in the ME and recession/pissed-offness of people in general.

Regarding integration, its a toughy - if I lived abroad, I would do so because I really wanted to go, luckily not because I was persecuted, disposessed or had to build a new life. I would want to learn the language, eat the food (well, maybe not if I lived in Japan, as real Japanese food is... challenging) but I'd look pretty stupid turning up to a formal event in a kimono (tall with red hair, hmmmm). If I did things in my own way I'd not be rejecting my new home but I couldn't possibly agree with everything they do (think Spain and bullfighting - don't think they do this anymore - and the bull runs which are pretty cruel). That wouldn't make me against everything though. Taking nationality is another question mark - not so tough if you were an EU citizen with a UK passport, but if you lived in the US, its another matter I suppose.

I have met some people born in the UK who spoke very little English (Bangladeshi women in East London). I think thats a bit sad - how can you vote, work, speak to the milkman or postman, go to the doctor or hospital by yourself/with your kids, take your kids to school or to the cinema to watch the latest films if you can't communicate fully? Theres a scheme near us for women to learn English set up by a woman in her 50s who came to the UK as a teenage bride but only learned English when she realised that her teenage daughters were drifting away from her due to lack of communication. I am crap at learning languages, so in no way judge anyone who does not learn (am in awe of anyone bilingual anyway, ie most of my family - I'm the thicko!)

In the UK we don't make people integrate (not sure what that would look like?). Maybe that's because we have a long history of refugees coming to our shores - now that's something we should be bloody proud of.

gordyslovesheep Wed 21-Nov-12 18:37:44

She is right. There are "no go" areas that have turned into ghettos where white people are made to feel uncomfortable. I have been racially abused and intimidated whilst walking in a certain part of East London as a single white female on my own.

kind of the experience for BEM people in 90% of the white dominated UK then

Frontpaw Wed 21-Nov-12 18:41:08

What's BEM? My friend used to get a lot of abuse when she lived in Sarf London - Brixton (very pale white skin, red hair, lesbian - take your pick).

gordyslovesheep Wed 21-Nov-12 18:46:29

Black and ethnic minority

Punkatheart Wed 21-Nov-12 19:52:47

I straddle two worlds...I am paleish but with a darker mother and an even darker uncle...we are all shades. So I get to experience worlds of many colours. I'm afraid my mother still hates being foreign, Mignonette...she wants to be invisible.

I have lived in Brixton many many years ago and I used to be called 'donkey' which I believe is a half-caste insult. Or I just look like a donkey, I'm not sure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now