To wish films at the cinema had an interval?

(74 Posts)
dolcelatte Thu 15-Nov-12 17:09:34

Going to see Skyfall tomorrow with DH and really looking forward to it, but - the running time is 143 minutes. AIBU to think it would be nice to have an interval for 15-20 mins for drink/snack/comfort break?

There used to be intervals at the cinema (showing my age now!); they have them at the theatre, much more civilised IMHO. Granted many films are shorter than 143 minutes, so possibly an interval not strictly necessary, but some are not - and although I'm sure i will love it - if the reviews are right - it does seem a bit of a marathon. Of course it's worth it for Daniel Craig but with some other long films I can't help but think I might as well wait for them to come on to DVD and watch them at leisure.....

NoNoNoMYDoIt Thu 15-Nov-12 22:08:00

What is the point of a phone app for the cinema when you aren't supposed to have your phone on?

thenightsky Thu 15-Nov-12 22:30:18

ahaha... was going to mention our lovely Kinema in the Woods... but Viva got there before me!

Pandemoniaa Thu 15-Nov-12 23:21:45

I've got a friend who works at the Penistone Paramount, as it happens. But I digress....

Being Vair Old I recall the days when you got two films for yer money. So there was always an intermission between the B picture and the main feature. Which was always handy for those with weaker bladders and/or a need for a tub of ice cream.

Our local independent cinema tends to bung a break into very long films but it can be very distracting especially if the long film is a fairly gripping affair. On balance though, I'd go for an interval if only they'd bring a tea trolley out.

ptangyangkipperbang Thu 15-Nov-12 23:23:57

Viva it's not the cinema in the woods which sounds far more picturesque than the Northern town where the cinema I described is. It belongs to a 'chain' called Northern Morris. It's only £4.50 and free parking which makes it even better.

Horsemad Thu 15-Nov-12 23:25:35

Our local cinema always has an interval, 'tis fab!

Bunbaker Fri 16-Nov-12 06:52:25

"I've got a friend who works at the Penistone Paramount"

You can buy a cup of tea in the bar during the interval. I love the Paramount.

complexnumber Fri 16-Nov-12 07:04:26

We went to see 'Curse of the Were Rabbit' and a man got on the stage in the interval and played 'Run rabbit, run rabbit, run run run' on the organ!

Fantastic Ptang! That must have been worth the admission in itself.

HecatePropylaea Fri 16-Nov-12 07:10:57

I'd hate that. I hate ad breaks on the tv. 15 - 20 minutes out of a film just to buy food?

Unless someone has a medical condition - anyone can go two and a half hours without eating!

Eat. Go to cinema. Use loo before going in to find a seat. watch film. come out. discuss film.

or Go to cinema. Use loo before going in to find a seat. watch film. come out. discuss film. Eat.

I'd hate an intermission. Part, for me, of enjoying a film is getting involved in it. Half way through, it judders to a halt, the lights come up and everyone scrambles to go and get popcorn? Then 20 minutes later you've got to try to get back into the film again? Nah. I wouldn't bother.

mummytime Fri 16-Nov-12 07:29:02

Well DD and I had to go out in the middle of the one but last Harry Potter, and we weren't the only ones. An interval would have been better for the others in the cinema, than having a constant stream of people sneaking out after the 1 1/2 hours mark.

dolcelatte Fri 16-Nov-12 16:51:08

Well, after the event, I will make an exception for Skyfall - it was so compelling I didn't feel the need for a 'break', but I still maintain that an interval/intermission would be welcome for films over say 2 hours.

FawkesoidOrganisoid Fri 16-Nov-12 16:59:02

I agree with hecate

(it's been ages since I said that!)

SpicyPear Fri 16-Nov-12 17:11:13

But Hecate you're not taking into account those of us that suffer with needingtopeehalfwaythroughanyfilmdepsitenormallybeingabletoholditforhoursitis. Tis discriminatory.

HecatePropylaea Fri 16-Nov-12 17:24:54

yeah I miss intermissions too.

My kids wanted to know what it meant on our Sound of Music DVD.

mummytime Fri 16-Nov-12 17:40:35

Hectate I think most people would rather people sneaked out than used one of those next to them smile

thursday Fri 16-Nov-12 17:40:44

ooh, mine is a Northern Morris too and we still have an intermission and the little ice cream lady. skyfall was a hoot! not a seat free so they just extend the interval til everyone's had time to get to the loo, have a fag and get an ice cream. and we had lost property announcements from the stage. it was like a school trip.

people who need the loo will go regardless of whether there's an intermission. knowing there is one means they wait til then, rather than having one person every 30 seconds bobbing past in the dark. now THAT'S distracting!

SpicyPear Fri 16-Nov-12 17:46:03

Maybe they should hand them out like with the 3D specs.

YANBU

I'm still haunted by the memory of a cinema date in which we'd been to see one of the Lord Of The Rings films.

Desperate for the loo, unfamiliar with the story, my relief was palpable when I thought we were nearing the end.

... And then there was another hour.

Oodthunkit Fri 16-Nov-12 18:47:51

Another northern Morris cinema here!

JackThePumpkinKing Fri 16-Nov-12 18:51:12

Sue - I was just going to say be thankful that its not as long as Return of the King. What was that, 3.5 hours?

Mrsjay Fri 16-Nov-12 18:54:03

there used to be an interval and the lady would come with ice creams I get a numb bum and would like to move, the last pirates of the carribean film we saw had a break,

HecatePropylaea Fri 16-Nov-12 20:03:47

grin mummytime

LittleTheatreCinema Wed 28-Nov-12 16:05:26

Hello,
Cinemas used to have intermissions for films because we used to have to change the 35mm projectors as most films would be 2 reels long, as well as cooling down the bulb.
We run intermissions on some of our films during our Vintage Monday nights which people either love or hate.
You tend to find that distributors (and especially directors) hate intermissions unless they have directed a specific place where they would like an intermission, which doesn't happen anymore! It also cuts the amount of performances they cinemas can put in a day. It's a tricky business!

littlemisspoppy Wed 28-Nov-12 16:36:18

Ooh Ptang we have a northern Morris nearby too in a northern town, is it in a town beginning with 'E' and just along from the outdoor shop?

It's great with the intermission and you know the film won't restart while you are buying an ice cream as the man who sells them also starts the film!

They also have a pile of booster seats that use can use for free, and snacks are priced very reasonably.

On a Thursday they have a showing with free tea and biscuits!

We just have a new Vue in town which is lovely but I refuse to pay £4 for a small popcorn!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now