In getting irritated with people who indirectly mock poor people?

(178 Posts)
dontcallmehon Wed 14-Nov-12 00:00:57

I have an acquaintance who constantly comments on how much she hates Iceland frozen food and how cheap it is and how disgusting it must be. It seems to be a running joke with her and all her friends. Acquaintance is well off and I can't help thinking her jokes are not funny and actually some people might need to buy the cheap food Iceland offers. AIBU?

Loveweekends10 Thu 15-Nov-12 04:48:32

Just tell her she is coming across as a twat. End of!

joanbyers Thu 15-Nov-12 01:10:25

Surely if you were a food snob you'd make your own? confused

What products are we talking about here?

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 15-Nov-12 00:27:55

Mouse but what about the none branded stuff that is made by the same company that's making the brands in the same place and the only difference is the package?

Mousefunk Thu 15-Nov-12 00:18:09

I'm a shameless food snob. People saying 'whats the difference between own brand&big brand', well a lot of the time big brands have less sugar&salt content than own brand not to mention the fact big brands taste 10x better.

I'm a super picky eater, always have been. I have to have food cooked to a certain level otherwise I can't eat it.. I'm just peculiar like that. I'm honestly yet to find something own brand that tastes as good, or better, than big brand... Just isn't the same, and no that isn't my own snobbery it just genuinely isn't as good.

Iceland was good when I first left home unable to cook but now none of it would really appeal to me. We don't really do frozen stuff, bit of quorn here and there I guess (Do Iceland do Quorn now?!). Imo cooking from scratch doesn't have to be expensive and probably works out cheaper than frozen stuff anyway.

stephrick Wed 14-Nov-12 21:22:20

Well i'm poor, but I won't shop at Iceland, it's crap, and small portions, just because you don't have much money does not mean you have to buy processed rubbish. I don't think your'e friend was making a big statement on the less fortunate more on the quality.

MrsDeVere Wed 14-Nov-12 21:03:23

I feel a bit sick...

dontcallmehon Wed 14-Nov-12 20:37:57

That's very ethical of you MrsDeVere. And delicious, I expect.

MrsDeVere Wed 14-Nov-12 20:35:50

I just ate a whole tub of ben and jerrys

But it was from the Co op.

dontcallmehon Wed 14-Nov-12 20:32:33

I love Morrisons. I'm not a fan of trifle unless it is homemade and laced with copious alcohol though.

Mrsjay Wed 14-Nov-12 19:44:18

Has anyone eaten a whole one of those family trifles out of the plastic container whilst sitting on the sofa and mindlessly watching terrible telly?

no never ever ever blush

Morrisons trifle is to die for I run into the corner like gollum and scoff it

usualsuspect3 Wed 14-Nov-12 19:37:50

Those individual trifles are a waste of time,but you can get 3 for a quid in Iceland so it's all good.

Adversecamber Wed 14-Nov-12 19:33:32

Havering read this thread the thing I am taking away is that you can buy baileys profiteroles gateaux in Iceland.

Your friend just doesn't sound very interesting or nice.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 14-Nov-12 19:32:10

No they don't stop telling lies grin

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 14-Nov-12 19:25:02

Those small individual trifles are just too paltry and pathetic to bother with.

It's like pringles. You start eating a few and then you look down and, bugger, it's all gone.

usualsuspect3 Wed 14-Nov-12 19:23:57

The cow mooing thing is no more sad

Fakebook Wed 14-Nov-12 19:13:01

I've never noticed the cow mooing thing, as these days I only go in there once a year before Dd's birthday to buy home baking things. The village name begins with W if that means anything to you!

Motherfucking, I've eaten half of one. It was a Co-Op one. It's the only shop bought dessert DH will eat.

Whatnowffs Wed 14-Nov-12 19:08:41

Some people, so i've been told, go to ASDA and buy one of those value packs of creme caramels (four in a pack) for 45p, then stand at the fridge and trough the whole pack! Can you imagine!!!!!

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 14-Nov-12 19:05:40

Shussss it's just urban legend

Whatnowffs Wed 14-Nov-12 19:04:03

Do people actually DO that? i thought it was just me

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 14-Nov-12 18:50:05

grin

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 14-Nov-12 18:44:50

Motherfucking I have no idea what your talking about

MotherfuckingMorrisMan Wed 14-Nov-12 18:37:31

Has anyone eaten a whole one of those family trifles out of the plastic container whilst sitting on the sofa and mindlessly watching terrible telly?

Or is that just me?

usualsuspect3 Wed 14-Nov-12 18:33:18

I always go in Iceland on Christmas eve to buy the stuff I forgot to buy in Asda. Its a tradition. I usually end up buying a massive trifle and a yule log grin

cantspel Wed 14-Nov-12 18:23:15

christmas wouldn't be christmas without some icelands mini pavlovas

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 14-Nov-12 18:20:39

I go to Waitrose mainly because it is the nearest supermarket to me - although I do love it! . Asda is 9 miles away and a Tesco of any size is also 8 miles away. There is a Sainsburies but the parking is such a nightmare I can't be bothered.

I did last year try out some Iceland Xmas nibbles as an experiment. It is not one I will be repeating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now