to think that feminism should have thought about the consequences and set some rules.

(429 Posts)
TulisaLover Fri 09-Nov-12 20:33:34

I've been chatting with DP this evening and mentioned a post that's been doing the rounds on facebook. It's from a lady sending a message to This Morning about the cost of childcare - on the surface it's a powerful post.

To cut it down:

'I am looking to return to work next year and child care will cost 810 every 4wks - this is more than our mortage!!. The government should help with child care costs.'

DP and I agree with it's sentiment - that child care costs are crippling families, but not necessarily with helping for the costs - he said:

"This is why feminism should have laid down some rules. Both parents earning an income meant banks salivated and started lending for homes based on both. This has forced up prices to cover this as house prices are a function of the amount being lent. Society as a whole loses, bankers win. What should have happened is when you have kids, both parents should be encouraged to work part time so that childcare is shared - or failing that the higher earner whichever gender should have been the one to work. Problems like this wouldn't have happened."

It struck a chord with me - what do you ladies think?

TulisaLover Sun 11-Nov-12 00:44:15

no probs mate, good chatting to you too. I've suddenly twigged - I read some of your thread the other day and I genuinely feel for the situation you're in. in many ways, situations like yours are why I started this thread. really hope you find the balance for your family. g 'night.

worklifedifficult Sun 11-Nov-12 00:39:27

Thank you for a wonderful chat... its nice to be able to talk about something different here other than work life balance, kids and crapiness of bringing up a family... anyway i wonder if scottishmummy will tell us if she shaves her bits and like to get dirty dirty... I have drunk 8 cans of cheap lager this evening so forgive me

TulisaLover Sun 11-Nov-12 00:32:32

Philosophy, logic, maths and programming make a heady menage-a-quatre.

worklifedifficult Sun 11-Nov-12 00:28:11

I do not understand why people do not get that a programming language is a language, It had syntax, vocabulary its a precision, it had subject object clause. Which ever is your personal flavour it has a few keywords and yet we can make it so expressive. It has conditionals we can make it flow into the future or the past depending on how we want to make the code work... is so expressive, throw in numbers and wow the world changes.

TulisaLover Sun 11-Nov-12 00:25:38

Imagine eventing over multi-core's in real time with big data

Heh...not something I have to imagine. I work with that - the volume of data that can be processed and patterns found is truly amazing. That power could be utilised in so many beneficial ways - medicine, transport logistics though, for now, finance is the core product.

TulisaLover Sun 11-Nov-12 00:20:08

Yeah, I totally get it. Especially the bit about numbers and music, which is why I mentioned it. I think programming virtual instruments would be damn rewarding work. So I'm the same - though I have a primary passion for language too, which is why I am such a bullsh*t merchant.

worklifedifficult Sun 11-Nov-12 00:19:09

eventing... hmmm! cheeky. at home yes in the job no... event driven processing is going to be big in a year or so's time... a double impressing so far.... imagine eventing over multi-core's in real time with big data oh fuck I've just cum

worklifedifficult Sun 11-Nov-12 00:15:06

I love grinding numbers, they are so beautiful. This world is made by numbers, the patterns that come out... like chaos, a butterfly flaps and this world changes. Music and images are made by numbers... the creativity is from the human sole. I'm the stereotype of a programmers programmer. I can't leave the numbers, who else would look after them, nurture them, push them to places they've never been and into a place where they can make a big difference.

You know the beautiful mind and how everyone here likes the film and Russell Crowe, but they would never like me... except for DW who is borderline geek

TulisaLover Sun 11-Nov-12 00:08:26

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, do you write bespoke native code, or are you using event processing engines to do all this work these days?

TulisaLover Sun 11-Nov-12 00:04:07

Frankly - and I apologise if I'm wrong - based on your few posts, it sounds like you could do with a break or a change. You seem extremely adept as a technologist....finance is not the only game in town as a programmer. Music, image processing - whatever else - find something you have an actual passion for and makes you feel good. I know the money is not bad, but it's not worth your soul if it's bringing you down.

worklifedifficult Sat 10-Nov-12 23:56:48

volatile markets and backtesting oxymoron's I could talk for ages about concurrency, multicores and stuff. I had a gig at one of the top four... where I put forward using gpu's for burst analysis, yesterday i was chatting with a colleague whose boyfriend is a quant about using raspberry pi for beowulf clustered data analysis and griding them... woof it went straight over her and his head... ffs this is boring old seti@home stuff but for market analysis... where the fuck am I going wrong

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 23:45:30

You obviously do a very similar job to me if it's not already obvious.

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 23:42:52

parellising algos is very tough

Concurrency problems always are. Even the truly programmers have problems there - and they are only ever really going to test within their own code. Not effectively try and beat other algo's with slight and subtle differences.

^ You can't test cos you've got to hit the market as its happening and trust that I've done a half way decent job of cutting the code^

Frightening though eh? Backtesting with market data is never a substitute for the real thing, but I'm sure a lot of people reckon they can use it.

I've pretty much stopped trading now myself in direct equities because imho it is far, far too volatile. The only thing worth touching imho are etfs as a private investor, and those too are fraught with very well known issues.

worklifedifficult Sat 10-Nov-12 23:37:21

ok to give you an example of your two above question.... on thursady one of the network fellas walked over to the database team and said... "i'll open 1433 on the firewall"... google port 1433 and see what it gives you... once you read what opening port 1433 to the world means then you'll understand why I'm so analretentive about security... I put forward on day one in my new job that we do all management on ssh over tsl with a major lockdown on sniffers.... the network security boys looked at me as though I was a nutter

worklifedifficult Sat 10-Nov-12 23:31:36

not bad you've impressed me. parellising algos is very tough... I once had to write a monte carlo for a real time trader with hpc placements... that was really difficult, really difficult... i had to go functional rather than oop. You can't test cos you've got to hit the market as its happening and trust that I've done a half way decent job of cutting the code. The hissy fits that happen afterward, cos I've made a mistake Ok introduce a bug... that's one of the main reasons I don't like hedgies.... small dicks big attitude.

Volumn weighted, Value at risk - what dozy statements, from people who are screwing/skewing the markets for what ends... I love warren buffet and the texas fella who predicted Greece for their societal perspectives

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 23:19:56

Give us a little clue as to what you mean by online purchases being erm..pillaged - very intriguing. I presume this goes further than just what we are purchasing, and how to target advertising.....

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 23:15:55

Option pricing via Black Scholes and algo trading are something I know about. You're right about programmers having very little idea about secure code. What intrigues me further, is that no-one really has any idea about how multiple algos working to make markets or exploit VWAP/arbitrage opportunities all simultaneously operating on the same instruments (or linked ones) really work when they are all interacting from different institutions. The testing of them simply cannot possibly take into account all the various permutations, as they are all black box. Add human interaction into it - without which there will be no actual market, and....well, it's an interesting thing as to what will happen. The regulators....well I dunno what they are doing about it, but I'm guessing like the ratings agencies they will do a sterling job hmm.

scottishmummy Sat 10-Nov-12 23:00:50

I mean apparently it teams dig for dirt,things folk try to hide
or alternatively delete online stuff is sensitive to clients eg leaky personal life

worklifedifficult Sat 10-Nov-12 22:57:01

sorry it was a don't before programmers who can write secure code

worklifedifficult Sat 10-Nov-12 22:55:53

big lolz sorry scottishmummy there are very, very few of us who are protecting your on-line life, or more to the point there are an immense amount of programmers who know how to write secure systems. OliviaMumsnet would piss herself if she knew how your online data here is being fucked on a regular basis. Most whitehat pentest fellas do what their bosses say to keep the clients paying.

Keynes would be serious fucked off given what Black and Sholes have done and how the quants have paid zero attention to the fact that their algorithms aint secure. We could talk a huge amount about how the new deal changed the latter half of the 20thC

If I was to tell you lot about how your online purchases are (sorry bad word) raped on a daily basis you'd never apply for credit ever again. You sure as shit would never buy from most of the uk retailers.

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 22:37:36

I also don't think Keynes would have sanctioned fiscal stimulus if he knew it was simply being done to falsify bank balance sheets, where if my understanding is correct, it's simply being poured into a black hole. Again, I reckon he intended it to be used for actual concrete beneficial state projects. We have precisely none of those (HS2 is not going to be beneficial imho), and anyway none of the ruling parties would have done anything like that - both would simply (ahem) piss it up the wall.

TulisaLover Sat 10-Nov-12 22:31:55

If it's not litigious, please do worklife - sounds right up my street. Thanks!

scottishmummy Sat 10-Nov-12 22:31:43

apparently you get it teams dedicated to recovering salacious or data folk tried to destroy

worklifedifficult Sat 10-Nov-12 22:28:47

scottishmummy so unbelievably indiscreet... prior to the interview I knew his kids names. Its a scary old world. Tulisa... don't worry about it... my mate Rob once pretended to be a teenage girl... I nearly widdled myself in the boozer when he told me that and had to point out the degrees of danger he was getting himself into.... if you want to be an author and you want a good set of stories... I can tell you massive amounts about the security infractions in the city and how all your personal data is tiefed on a regualar basis

scottishmummy Sat 10-Nov-12 22:27:20

gag wrong thread I'm not trying to be weirdly obscure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now