to think parents videoing school assemblies and posting the video on facebook is wrong

(193 Posts)
mamabanana Fri 12-Oct-12 10:36:55

Just noticed a post from a friend on facebook with a video link to a class assembly. I honestly don't think the person posting has thought through their actions, but surely it is against most school policies? If the school record something, they have to get every parent to sign to say they agree to their child being videoed. I have no problem with parents videoing their children to watch back, but posting it on social media????

What do you think and what would you do? Am I overreacting? I need a second opinion before I speak to friend or even the school about it.

filetheflightoffancy Fri 12-Oct-12 11:17:26

I know of a school in my local area that had a blanket ban for a while on any photography during school events. Obviously this was unworkable and there was uproar from parents so gradually things were introduced so that photos could be taken in certain circumstances. And what was one of the first things that a parent did - put pictures from an event on facebook (which happened to have a picture of an adopted child in the background).

At the time of the ban policy the parents could not seem to get their heads around the fact that it was nothing to do with paedophiles looking at the kids, and everything to do with children in care being identified, as mimsey said above.

ReallyTired Fri 12-Oct-12 11:20:51

If parents are allowed to put videos on the facebook then it can endanger the lives of children who are in local authority care or adopted. GoSakuramachi before you comment its unlikely you know which kids are in care.

It would be desperately sad if LAC kids were not allowed to be the class assembly because there selfish parents..

HanSolo Fri 12-Oct-12 11:22:08

Gosakura - you may think it's private- it' not.
Any image loaded to FB then is owned by FB, to be used as they wish. Imagine if a child in adoptive placemnet had their nativity play videoed by some classmate's parent, idiotically posted on FB, then find themselves in a global marketing campaign?

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Fri 12-Oct-12 11:26:02

Do you all cover your kid's faces when you walk them down the street? Anyone can see your child if they pass them by and most of them are probably strangers! I really don't see the problem here.

ReallyTired Fri 12-Oct-12 11:26:53

Your "friends" should share a photo with their friends and you have no idea what their security settings are. There are been several really funny photos or videos that have gone "viral" on the internet. Personally I would not want complete strangers laughing at my child if he had done something silly.

alienreflux Fri 12-Oct-12 11:32:03

have you read the thread scarybeardydeadyman??

SeveredEdMcDunnough Fri 12-Oct-12 11:32:34

Looking for a child in a fast moving, busy street is not quite as easy as looking for a static image of them online.

Really Daddyman I thought you had more sense.

GoSakuramachi Fri 12-Oct-12 11:33:16

thats not true, at all. read the t&c's, its not even remotely true.

SeveredEdMcDunnough Fri 12-Oct-12 11:33:59

Gosakura, you're being naive.

McHappyPants2012 Fri 12-Oct-12 11:35:07

can someone explain to me how adoptive children would be at risk with the photo/video being online.

I can understand with foster care children or those who are in social services car, but not children who has been adopted.

freddiefrog Fri 12-Oct-12 11:35:31

Yes, a member of my FC's birth family may see their face when they're walking down the street with me but thats unavoidable. Posting pics of them, in an identifiable school uniform, on the Internet is an unneccessary and completely avoidable risk

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Fri 12-Oct-12 11:37:29

Sometimes when I'm out with my kids a random stranger will come up and say hello and make a fuss of them. I have no problem with this either.

Yes I read the thread, strangers are everywhere, people who look at children must be evil and adopted children should never be seen outdoors because the person who gave them up had a change of heart and is hunting them down by looking at random people's fb photos.

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Fri 12-Oct-12 11:39:19

freddy do you remove their school uniform before they leave school? Do you never pop to the shops with them straight after school whilst they're still in uniform?

SeveredEdMcDunnough Fri 12-Oct-12 11:39:24

Daddyman now you're just being a git.

Do you have an experience of children in care, or adopted children, or anything remotely like that?

It doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about (and mocking)

ScaryBeardyDeadyman Fri 12-Oct-12 11:46:07

Yep I do. A friend of mine fostered a girl who's mother was an alcoholic and went missing for days at a time and failed utterly to provide for her.

Thanks for the insult btw. Very grown up.

Daddyshambles Fri 12-Oct-12 11:46:50

I'm with Beardy, what's the real risk here? Not the imagined risk, the actual risk with, you know, evidence & stuff. It's not like they're running around in swimsuits or leotards or something, it's just a bunch of kids singing songs in school uniform (presumably).

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 11:46:56

Even if I was TOLD not to post videos of assemblies on fb I still would. Because my family in other countries want to see them. And if that isn't liked, it's tough. What I do with photos or videos of assemblies with my DC's in is up to ME.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 11:48:45

I put their class photos on fb too. My settings are set to friends and family only, that's as far as I'm willing to go.

filetheflightoffancy Fri 12-Oct-12 11:50:18

Yes Couthy, but it is not up to you what you do with images of other people's children.

It is selfish attitudes like this which mean that in some schools parents cannot take any photographs at all.

I am very lax when it comes to photos of my own DS on facebook, I post loads of them! However, I ALWAYS ask permission to post photos of someone else's kids. At a basic level it is just good manners.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 11:51:06

It's up to the FC to decide upon the calculated risk of other people posting photos online as to whether they are happy for their FC DC to participate in school photos and assemblies.

Nobody is going to stop me from filming my DC's assemblies, and nobody is going to stop me from choosing what I post online.

filetheflightoffancy Fri 12-Oct-12 11:51:38

Couthy - do you ever tag any of your family members in said photos?

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 11:51:58

I'd still take photos and videos if told not to. I want a record of the assembly, and my far flung family wish to see it.

CouthyMowWearingOrange Fri 12-Oct-12 11:52:33

Yep. I tag my Aunts and Uncles, my brother, my cousins, my grandparents.

ByTheWay1 Fri 12-Oct-12 11:52:37

CMWO - but what if my children are in those pictures and I don't want you to post them? You are saying that because your kids are in them, stuff me... how mean.... do you ask the parents of EVERY child in your pics and video if they want them posted??

Someone took video of a Y6 girl falling off stage at our leavers' do - it went on to youtube and is now a bully's "weapon of choice" in Y7...

filetheflightoffancy Fri 12-Oct-12 11:53:44

So a child shouldnt be able to particiapte in any school events because they are in the unfortunate position of being fostered away from an abusive home? Nice.

Why dont you just privately email pictures and videos to family members?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now